FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events APE in LA!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
APE in LA!!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 2:37 pm   Permalink

DANGIT! I feel fortunate to have gotten an APE fix just a few weeks ago, but I'm BUMMED I have to miss this show in my own backyard! Any plans to have more shows down here, guys?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
2QueerTikis

Posted: 2004-05-25 3:19 pm   Permalink

YAY! More APE! More APE! I can't wait. We're bringing a tiki friend of mine from college. She and I used to do the Kon-Tiki in Tucson, AZ every Thursday for like 5 years! She lives in Seatle now and I can't wait to take her to the Purple Orchid to see the show... Counting down until Saturday. See you all there.

View Profile of 2QueerTikis Send a personal message to 2QueerTikis  Email 2QueerTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-26 11:59 am   Permalink

Great to hear!

True an ape or two have flown the coop for this gig, but the cozy P.O. will be the perfect setting to see Frank's steeling action up close and to have a friend or two come join us for some familiar tunes

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-27 3:58 pm   Permalink

You know how much I love you guys? I've cancelled my plans to go out of town this weekend. The thought of missing Tiki Taix & APE was just too much to bear. My APE pimpin' bamboo handbag & I will be there.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-27 7:21 pm   Permalink

all In&Out proceeds go the the missing tikis fund.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-29 3:09 pm   Permalink

CrazyAL TIKI # 68 was born last night!

APE played the WB back lot for their International TV '50's 60's Si-Fi Party'

we had our own tiki bar stage!!

an where invaded by space ships complete with Chimps in space suits

and even Debra Harry was part of the invasion with Blondie!!!!

and we all Ate Guitars!!

Kevin has flown back up north for a wedding... so I'm playing drums instead of chopping.
But my arm with enjoy the rest....

this show will be a Musical treat!! SEE YOU TONIGHT

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2004-05-29 15:12 ]

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 11:52 am   Permalink

Thanks to all who made this such a great night!

to name just a few Dave & Rebecca, Floratina and VintageGirl- the night's Ape Swag peddlers, Dr. Z & GiantTikiRobot- Ape's conga crew for some great banging, and of course the Bar Tenders!

Thanks again!

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 1:07 pm   Permalink

MUST! HAVE! MORE! APE!

The show Saturday night was simply sublime. I can always count on Al & the boys to provide me with sufficient jungle rhythms to dance just like the fool I am. Plus, they played Sleepwalk, which made me all swoony. Sleepwalk is my kryptonite. Thank you, Al, Frank, Lane & Mitch!

Here are some pictures:

Lane with some mementos from their WB gig

WeirdUncleTiki (fresh off his yacht), Vintage Girl & TraderPup

I found this incredibly bizarre sweater on eBay months ago. Could there be a more perfect getup for an APE gig? Well, short of an actual gorilla costume...

The four boys could barely fit on the Purple Orchid's tiny stage.

Vintage Girl leads Al & me through a hula

These prototype APE mugs by Tiki Farm had the whole joint BUZZING. Everyone wanted to know how to get one, so I suspect they're going to sell out quickly when the are available (sometime later this summer maybe?).

Suicide Sam, Tiki Mofo, Trader Pup, Polynesian Pop, Z-girl, Utopian Dreem

Trader Pup, Pi Phi Rho, 2QueerTikis (2QueerTikis & I have discovered that we live about a 1/2 block away from each other!)

Frank & Lane apparently have different approaches to this song

Mitch tries to keep hold of his tiny slip of stage space

Al, thumping

King Kukulele joined APE to sing a song, he sounds awfully nice when he's not busy being a goofball!

Crazy Al carved this tiki at the WB gig

Floratina & Frank share a laugh

Mitch becomes contemplative after APE finishes their show

After APE finished, there was a uke jam with Frank Novicki, WeirdUncleTiki & King Kukulele (who was strangely without his royal regalia)

WeirdUncleTiki & King Kukulele on ukes, GiantRobotTiki on congas, Crazy Al on the crazy coconuts

POP YLOP!

Vintage Girl, Floratina & Tiki Vixen share a laugh (There's always lots of laughing with Floratina!)

It's the FAMOUS Mr. Smiley! But why isn't he smiling?? It must be because he cannot have an APE mug yet.

All the excitement left the King plum tuckered.

The rest of my pictures can be viewed here:
http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/ape/

Thanks again for a great show, you HAVE to come do it again sooner rather than later!

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 1:21 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu,
What would we ever do without you.
Thanks once again for the pics!
The ape shirt was perfect for that event.

Unga

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 2:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:30 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-31 5:25 pm   Permalink

Humu - thanks for posting those pics! It seems as though you have become the official photographer for TC events!
I had a great time at the show, both listening to APE and meeting fellow TCer's. I am rather shy by nature, but after a few...I actually got up the nerve to introduce myself to some TCer's I recognized. I spoke with several very nice TCer's, and Dr. Z was kind enough to point out the rest - that was quite a showing of TCer's! I look forward to the next event!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-31 17:25, Polynesiac wrote:
Humu - thanks for posting those pics! It seems as though you have become the official photographer for TC events!

Agreed!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-31 9:39 pm   Permalink

these pics are great!! i forgot my camera and Humu. really stepped up to the plate to do some documenting.. awesome

Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-01 09:56 am   Permalink

Had a great time at the APE show, im glad i stayed alittle longer to see WeirdUncleTiki, King Kukulele, & Pop Ylop!

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-01 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-31 13:07, Humuhumu wrote:

King Kukulele joined APE to sing a song, he sounds awfully nice when he's not busy being a goofball!

You are correct!

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-06-01 12:15 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation