Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Watermelon ice cubes
Recipe: Watermelon ice cubes
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 3:56 pm   Permalink

A fun thing to do with the abundance of fresh fruit is to make watermelon ice cubes.Take a watermelon,deseed,cut into chunks and liquify in the blender.Pour into ice cubes trays and freeze.These are great in all sorts of drinks,and look terrific.You also get the benefit of not diluting a drink,just watermelon.Tasty!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-23 8:56 pm   Permalink

Good idea!

I wonder if you could do the same thing with pineapple? I guess you wouldn't want chunks at the bottom of the glass.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 12:42 am   Permalink

Who says you wouldn't want pineapple chunks at the bottom of the glass?!
I kind of like the idea. Actually, I freeze lots of things like fresh squeezed lime juice, lemon juice, etc... I even have a hollowed out pineapple and a coconut with the top cut off in the freezer (probably should start fresh on those, they've been in there a while).
Just this week I tried to freeze Coco Lopez in 1/2 oz. cubes.... oops... too much oil I suppose, because they wouldn't freeze. Now I have two ice cube trays with cold gooey Coco Lopez in them.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 09:10 am   Permalink

My drink the Pahoehoe Flow utilizes frozen cubes of orange and pineapple juice, which are crushed, to make the drink look like lava. The actual drink is a reddish color. I developed this cocktail for the `Ona Tiki Pohaku aa ipu mug.
Juices generally produce a "softer" ice, so they melt faster, which is great for some complex drinks. They cause the drink to change its flavor and color in transition.
I also have a drink called the Surf Creature, after the Miles Thompson painting of the same name, in which pineapple juice is frozen into the bottom of a cocktail glass. This creates a great separation layer of yellow under the bluish green drink.
About half way through the drink the frozen pineapple juice "bottom" floates up, giving it an almost lava lamp effect with the 3-4 blueberries that are floating in the cocktail.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 09:26 am   Permalink

Could you please post the recipe for the Pahoehoe Flow? My cousins love the ice cream drink called the Lava Flow & I'd love to have an alternative to share with them.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 09:37 am   Permalink

Post all of your funky recipes. I wanna try 'em all.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 1:53 pm   Permalink

I'll have to pull my ice cube tray out of the cupboard, it's hard to experiment with the automatic cube/crush feature on the freezer door!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation