FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Defunct Polynesian Restaurant in Queens - Any Info?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Defunct Polynesian Restaurant in Queens - Any Info?
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-15 4:41 pm   Permalink

I had my 28th birhtday party there....oh it was great! i always fantasized that it is the infamous good fella's restaurant without the fire. if i remember the columbian chicken place left the booth huts there too.

I have to have pictures of that somewhere...i must find those poloriods!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
James_Elliot

Posted: 2009-09-07 8:15 pm   Permalink

My wife and I used to go to Dragon Seed 1984-1987 when we lived around the corner. I loved the place and the Tiki atmosphere. Dragon Seed and Luigi's on 37th also were our main places. It was one or the other on Friday or Saturday. Sorry to hear it closed. I thought about it tonight because Anthony Bourdain went to a Tiki restaurant on Staten Island on his No Reservations show and that revived memories of the great Dragon Seed.

View Profile of James_Elliot Send a personal message to James_Elliot  Email James_Elliot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-14 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-07 20:15, James_Elliot wrote:
My wife and I used to go to Dragon Seed 1984-1987 when we lived around the corner. I loved the place and the Tiki atmosphere. Dragon Seed and Luigi's on 37th also were our main places. It was one or the other on Friday or Saturday. Sorry to hear it closed. I thought about it tonight because Anthony Bourdain went to a Tiki restaurant on Staten Island on his No Reservations show and that revived memories of the great Dragon Seed.

did you also go to the place across the street that was called I think "the cavelier"?

That place had the best ceiling and Manhattans. I supposed I noticed the ceiling so much cause I was on the floor from the cocktails!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 09:05 am   Permalink

Mystery solved!

A story today discusses a fully intact NYC
polynesian restaurant that serves Columbian food and fried chicken....

[ This Message was edited by: leisure master 2010-03-23 09:05 ]

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 12:10 pm   Permalink

The author of the Lost City blog found the facebook page of the Dragon Seed owner, George Bow, that has some great old photos and ephemera.

A postcard showing the Tiki phase.

A drink menu with some saucy names.

I have seed that Hula girl before, any guesses?

The wine list and matchbook with a Luau Hut bar (borrowed form the Washington DC location no doubt).

Some old family photos of the bar and restaurant.

An old black and white photo of the bar with the Tiki.

A newer photo showing some signs of Tiki-Devolution.

A cool old place that was around for a long time.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 2:29 pm   Permalink

Love the authenticity of these family album snapshots. It's possible that this thread originally inspired the grandson to put up Facebook page, how cool! So...besides the exterior, is the interior also still intact, despite its new owners? What a well-hidden secret that would make it!

Dig the Pre-Tiki look from 1949, way before it was tikified Orchids-of-Hawaii style:

And the back wall and the front of the bar, that mosaic treatment is terrific!:

Here's that Moai in the Orchids catalog:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 4:35 pm   Permalink

Not sure how "intact" it is. There's bamboo at least. Sort of a Columbian Hooters.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-02 4:49 pm   Permalink

Nice detective work! I want an Aloha Orgy.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 6:07 pm   Permalink

Cool. Well, supposedly installations like the waterfall are still intact, also. But we won't know the extent of it until we send an urban archeology team out to photograph the site. Who's going?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation