[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Soda Syphons
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Soda Syphons
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-22 2:54 pm   Permalink

Bump... So gang, what's the consensus on this? Is seltzer water from a syphon better tasting than club soda? I bring this up because I just watched an old episode of Good Eats on bar drinks and Alton Brown (my hero) said seltzer was better tasting than club soda. If he said it, maybe it really is. I did happen to notice that he got a lot more fizz in his glass than I do when I pour in club soda.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-22 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-22 14:54, GatorRob wrote:
Bump... So gang, what's the consensus on this? Is seltzer water from a syphon better tasting than club soda? I bring this up because I just watched an old episode of Good Eats on bar drinks and Alton Brown (my hero) said seltzer was better tasting than club soda. If he said it, maybe it really is. I did happen to notice that he got a lot more fizz in his glass than I do when I pour in club soda.

Club Soda has additives such as sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, sodium phosphate and/or sodium citrate, so it has a different flavor then seltzer, which is just carbonated water. The carbonation in the seltzer I have delivered form larger bubbles and seem to last longer then club soda.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-22 10:40 pm   Permalink

I have an ISI soda siphon and I do like it. I bought mostly because I got tired of buying San Pelligrino and lugging bottles to the house and taking them out to recycle etc. It's got some great advantages to buying club soda or seltzer: you can have as much or as little anytime you want and it stays carbonated and there's less environmental waste than buying bottled water. Think about how much gas is used just trucking around bottles of water!
-Sam

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-23 2:50 pm   Permalink

That was something else I meant to ask. Once it's charged, does it need to be used in a certain amount of time before it goes flat?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

I've never kept a charged bottle around for more than a week or two without finishing it but it does not go noticeably flatter in that amount of time.
-Sam

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation