FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 07:04 am   Permalink

we'll straighten this out...i'm going to call someone over there this morning...someone must be shown that they have overlooked a SERIOUS opportunity to to capitalize on some freaking serious local kids...and so LACMA...prepare to BE FRAKED!

how lazy can an event planner be?

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 09:54 am   Permalink

Wow, Miles..! Tiki militant! Awright! Easy boy, easy...Tiki is a burning LOVE, yet bringing the people around gently, patiently, and eventually they will see the light.

My take on this shindig is that the whole Tiki theme was an afterthought, that they had those artists already, but at some point Steve Goff (the organizer) felt that the party needed a theme, and that Tiki was happening AND very LA at the same time, so let it be Tiki. And that's probably all they know about the scene.

Don't worry kids, eventually we will have our OWN museum, and Tiki will be represented in the museums all over the country.

As far as I understand, the event is FREE, you do not need to RSVP to get in, but the RSVP supposedly helps to shortcut the long lines to get in (don't know how that works).

I wonder though how they are going to get 8000 people this year, I have not seen any flyers, and no ad in the LA Weekly.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 11:59 am   Permalink

the characters involved in this fund raising event are not tiki... (aside from yourself and you know who agle...100% celebritiki )

...here comes a rant...

...latin tunes? how about a gary baseman style pinata? view a vespa by shepard "OBEY" ferry? why not hold a tricycle race around the museum where each rider downs a mai tai for every lap he runs? or a beatbox contest tahitian drum style???

please...

a HUGE drum circle? some guitar or uke? fire dancing? a pig burned in the ground? carving or tapa demo? a virgin sacrifice ritual? facial or tribal henna tattoos? shrunken heads? fish recipes? anything that suggest that the museum had considered what "TIKI" is, has been, and always will be

what SADDENS most ...EVERYONE - LA's BIGGEST museum gives first man the atrophied end of the stick because tiki is widely considered "EASY"... the largest part of tiki is respecting the ancestry history and hertage that is our own blood and in doing so showing ourselves the self repect that we all deserve...what is EASY about that???

we should be more serious about the authenticity of our daily tribal activity as well as our annual ceremonial customs... the first men to walk upright demonstrated tiki style for their youth's sake and somehow managed to NOT look like a gang of BOOZATHONERS... can we?

i feel SO much better...(sigh)

View Profile of kooche Send a personal message to kooche  Goto the website of kooche     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 12:17 pm   Permalink

I like Kooche. He's real good.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 12:21 pm   Permalink

I'm seriously thinking about going, which is CRAZY because I have to work that day and the next day, and I'm flying out for a work conference Saturday morning. I think, though, that--even though this event is not the tiki event it could have been with different planning--the artists involved do cool stuff, and I haven't been to LACMA yet, and I could always use more Sventime, and if all us tikiphiles show up, it'll be more tiki than it otherwise would be, and that's a good thing, right?

So look for me there, I'll be the one in my gaudiest aloha wear, falling asleep, propped up against someone, and probably holding my shoes in my hands.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 2:44 pm   Permalink

Kooche - talk to Gantry jackson - director of marketing.
ext 6103

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 12:21, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm seriously thinking about going, which is CRAZY because I have to work that day and the next day, and I'm flying out for a work conference Saturday morning. . . . So look for me there, I'll be the one in my gaudiest aloha wear, falling asleep, propped up against someone, and probably holding my shoes in my hands.

Humuhumu, your continued pursuit of perfect attendance at all tiki events is an inspiration to us all.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 6:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-14 17:47, kooche wrote:
i am SO ireful,choleric, and just plain peeved!!!

now i have exactly 14 emailed passes for the LACMA evening event...

Kooche, try & try as I may, I have not received one pass. Could you forward me one of your extras? (christiki295@hotmail.com)

Mahalo.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 7:03 pm   Permalink

The passes have your name on them and say they're not transferrable, they say to be prepared with picture ID. I also didn't get my pass at my normal email address, so I signed up again using my work email address and got one right away. You may wish to try the same.

Re: my willingness to attend the opening of a bottle of rum, I think I'm still trying (in vain, of course) to make up for all the things I've missed. I simply feel like I MUST make full use of my time, after having wasted so much time sitting on my duff in front of the television, eating bad delivered chinese food, wondering why my life wasn't what I wanted. I suppose I developed a mid-life crisis at 28. Which would peg my ETA for the dustbin at 56, or thereabouts.

It's actually surprisingly easy to fit in all the things I do. I'm sure people with children can relate -- their schedules are similarly jam-packed, just with different things.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 10:12 pm   Permalink

so that's what i've been missing with my tv watching experience - some bad chinese food...

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-15 10:40 pm   Permalink

There was an ad in last the last L.A. Weekly.....

Looks like they are downplaying the Tiki aspect of the event

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 09:01 am   Permalink

Thanks Ron. Well, like I said, I believe it was an afterthought, and as such it is not even a badly done Tiki party, just not a Tiki party after all.

Maybe if Josh and I "channel" all of our combined Tiki mana, the crowd will be magically garbed in Aloha gear, Tikis will form on the buildings, Exotica will echo through the halls, and the gallery walls will be covered with Shags, Kooches, Rydens and other Tiki art.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kooche
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 10:33 am   Permalink

that sounds relaxing SVENTIKI

let it happen...i wish the population were naturally like trees and clouds...but hey...this is LA...

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-16 09:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thanks Ron. Well, like I said, I believe it was an afterthought, and as such it is not even a badly done Tiki party, just not a Tiki party after all.

While I remain aghast that LACMA would use the tiki mana for advertising and then not even place a tiki on the add, I do have hopes that their party planners can create a tiki mecca.

Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 12:13 pm   Permalink

This all seems quite strange. The e-mail announcement they sent is quite tiki, the print ads not tiki at all. "Tiki 'til Dawn" yet it seems that there's barely any tiki involved. Sven, I'm glad you'll be there to spread the spirit. I absolutely love the concept of an all night tiki party at the museum and perhaps this can happen again next year with more emphasis on the tiki. Kooche, I like your style,man! Let's convene the planning committe at Tiki Ti and then get the museum folk on the horn to let 'em know how it should be done! I'm sure the museum would love to display an exotic and provocative culture that is artistic, alive and thriving right in its own hometown. Gee!

-I. Grogg

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation