FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki till Dawn at LACMA!!!!!
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 3:57 pm   Permalink

Iuka,
I like your idea! Why the heck don't we all ban together and do a real honest to goodnes "tiki culture" exhibit in LA complete with vintage and new tiki art, mugs, home bars, photos of extinct tiki watering holes, carved art from the islands and mainland, as well as carving demonstrations...and an occasional cocktail thrown in for good measure!!!

[ This Message was edited by: mriddle on 2004-06-16 15:58 ]

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 7:49 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know the schedule of activities for this event? Nothing on the LACMA site. They are showing vintage jazz films at 7:30. I guess that means that the surf film (Riding Giants) which I'd like to see won't be till 9 or 10. This sounds like kind of a not-very-tiki tiki event and I just don't want to have too much down time.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 8:06 pm   Permalink

And come to think of it...Did anyone decide whether or not they were hitting Tiki Ti first? The more I think about this thing the more annoyed I get. I'll actually be rushing to Disneyland first to pick u[p a gift for someone. Think I'll hit the Tiki room too. Then maybe Tiki Ti, the museum, say hi to Sven, see the surf film and then hit the sack. Can't stay up too late...Friday I take off for Australia after work)

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 8:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-16 15:57, mriddle wrote:
Iuka,
I like your idea! Why the heck don't we all ban together and do a real honest to goodnes "tiki culture" exhibit in LA complete with vintage and new tiki art, mugs, home bars, photos of extinct tiki watering holes, carved art from the islands and mainland, as well as carving demonstrations...and an occasional cocktail thrown in for good measure!!!

[ This Message was edited by: mriddle on 2004-06-16 15:58 ]

Actually a long time ago Sven participated as a speaker in such an exhibition on Tiki Culture that appeared at the Anaheim California Museum. It was the first real tiki event i attended and where I first met Sven (who turned out to be a our neighbor, living up the street from us). anyway it was a very well done exhibit. Also many years back (perhaps Floratina who is also a Cacophony Society enthusiast will remember) there was a Cacophony event that was well publicized that was basically a tiki event; they took over a trendy L.A. coffee house called the Onyx, and totally converted it into a 1940s WWII era - Hawaii-based Tiki Bar and the event included then lounge performer Joe Sehee (Wonderful World of Joey) and Agent Orange's surf band and some others... been too long for me to remember the names; anyway there were lines around the block to get into this as it was a pick of the week in the L.A. Weekly. No one could get in unless they were appropriately attired because they didn't want the ambiance ruined. If you didn't have a tiki shirt - one was provided at the door. I think it opened alot of unknowing eyes to tiki, even though the event was not specifically a celebration of tiki but was more about creating the ambience of a WWII era tiki bar.... Anyway, with the amount of tiki people we have now in this Tiki Central community I don't see why not something like this couldn't be planned again, done right, and celebrate the cultural history of tiki. Then again, yearly events like Tiki Oasis already do that so.... Still an exhibit at a museum would be pretty cool. LACMA should put their efforts into an serios exhibit of the influence of tiki on culture. Sven could be curator....

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifille
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 10:00 pm   Permalink

I plan to be at the tiki bar for this event. However, if anyone wants a "prop" from my yard DON'T pm me (I never get those right) just e-mail me and you will tote the tiki from Burbank to the event on good mana (meaning you'll bring it back to me unharmed). A little palm carved ambiance could add to the event. How you get it through the door without an RSVP is your problem. Humu- I'll be in bright red retro Hawaiian dress. We'll find each other. I say all Tiki Centralites wear their most loud attire. The black turtleneck crowd won't know what to do.

View Profile of tikifille Send a personal message to tikifille      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 12:41 pm   Permalink

So who all went to this? This only one I ran into was King Kukulele (mahalos for the assist, King - waiting in line was a lot more fun!).

It was a strange event. Not really any tiki except for the two bars. I didn't stay long, maybe about an hour or so and then left and went on to Tiki-Ti. No line there. Yeah!

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 1:07 pm   Permalink

Shoot, there were actually quite a few of us! It's a shame we didn't run into you.

It definitely was a weird event, but I had a great time. Huge turnout--even with my RSVP, I still had to stand in a line that went all the way to the end of the block & around the corner (it moved pretty quickly, though). I was the only one in aloha wear in the line, but once I got inside, there were quite a few folks wearing aloha shirts. Not a ton, mind you--most of the people there were attracted to it because it was a cool all-night museum event, not just because of the tiki angle (which is probably as it should be).

It was all pretty hodge-podgy, while standing in line, we were "entertained" by men & women swinging around glowy lights & hula hoops -- your basic raver/burningman-type setup, but the crowd seemed even less into that than into tiki. Once inside, the only tiki elements where the bars, which were actually pretty nicely decorated (probably rentals from Oceanic Arts). The drink I had was beyond terrible -- a "Tiki Colada", which tasted like a pina colada jelly belly with a splash of rum. Or like coconut frosting. Anyway, not tasty, but my expectations were low, so I wasn't disappointed or anything. I'm sounding whiny about it--it was a strange event, but I had a good time. One of the odd but ultimately enjoyable elements was that they were giving away jars of fancy peanut butter in different flavors, like cinnamon currant, smokehouse, deep chocolate... I opted for the onion parsley flavor, and was roundly mocked.

First I ran into Tikifille, then I saw Dale Sizer & Jim Cherry (they don't post here, but they lurk, they're Tiki-Ti semi-regulars, and Dale's tiki apartment is in the book PAD). Christiki then joined us, and then we went over to visit with Sven & Naomi, and found King Kukulele, Johnny Velour, Sven's roomie Daniel, the mmoderntikis, and DJLee. Futura Girl was making her way in just as we were all leaving. We also got to meet a new-to-TC tikiphile who hasn't started posting yet. I said it in reference to the Chicago tiki events -- who gives a rat's ass if the event isn't suitably tiki?? I could meet up with a bunch of tikiphiles at a rodeo, and I'd be happy.

I must admit, I actually didn't make my way into see the exhibits or watch any of the movies. I did get to see the new House Industries book, and OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Dale, Jim & Chris

One of the two tiki bars

Johnny Velour & King Kukulele

It's tiki, 'cause it SAYS SO!

Sven & Futura Girl

More pics here:
http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/lacma/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 2:54 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm not much for lines around the block so I snuck in an unguarded side entrance. I wanted to see the film, but it wasn't being shown till 1 am. So... I saw the exhibits, got my peanut butter, flashed a smile at Sven and King Kuke and hit the road. Catching a plane to Australia today.

Aloha and G'day!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 8:04 pm   Permalink

Well my friend and I never made it passed TikiTi the drinks were great and we did not have the pass. But later we went by the museum, seem like the lines were beyond long. Wish we waited, maybe??

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 9:55 pm   Permalink

you didn't miss nothin'

think you made the wise choice hanging at the ti.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-20 6:23 pm   Permalink

A wonderful event with a good tiki vibe. It was very satisfying to see portions of LACMA's patio transformed into tiki bars and being there to experience the creation of tiki where there was none before.

Also, always very good to see fellow TCers.

True, the experience was not without sacrifice. The lines to enter remained long, even when I left at approximately midnight. I also waited approximately an hour before entering. Luckily, I saw Steve who waited with me.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation