Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bongo question
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 12:46 pm   Permalink

Jack Costanzo in Harem Holiday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCZvAxb29IE

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 1:30 pm   Permalink

Although experimenting with tuning is, indeed, the way to achieve that distinctive mid-20th Century bongo pitch, do keep in mind that a great deal of bongos that one hears on the Exotica albums, as well as soundtracks from the 1950s and '60s, are being played with drum sticks. Playing bongos this way will immediately give a higher, sharper pitch. I prefer playing bongos with my index and middle fingers closer to the rim of the head, which also produces a higher pitch. Depending on the complexity of the rhythm, pressing down on the head whilst striking the bongo with the index finger will also deliver a sharp pitch.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-27 8:03 pm   Permalink

EXCELLENT LINKS Unga....ahhhh...those were the days. That is quite a snazzy shirt that Jimmy is wearing...

I recently purchased a set of LP Matador Congas and Bongos. Just got them to help me gain some rhythm knowledge (so I can apply the skill to my vibraphone). Thanks so much for posting about how to adjust the skins.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-27 11:29 pm   Permalink

Great stuff on here everyone. Thanks! Heres a "Bongo Tidbit" for ya. Since I was a kid I would tune my bongos over a stove burner. Hold you bongos about 2ft. above a med. flame. Keep tapping on the skin w/one or two fingers. You will soon hear the tone rising. When it hits a pitch you like?...your done! I have also tried this on skinned tambourine's from various countries and it works quite well.
Using sticks has been mentioned already, & that is really cool to do in certain situations. A variation on this is to use felt mallets. Try it sometime, you will be amazed at not only the tone, but the rolls you can achieve. Hope this helps....................Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 10:29 am   Permalink

Yikes! You guys dug up one of my old posts from 4 years ago!!

My bongos sound fine now. It's just a matter of really getting the pitch up there so tight that there is no "Play" in the head. It has to sound like a nail hitting a hammer. But, I won't use sticks on them, nor will I heat them over a stove!!! Sounds a bit risky on that last one!!

Anyway, that was four years ago. Since them, I have used them on many recordings, and they always sound great to my ears. Fiberglass.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation