FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-10 7:28 pm   Permalink

I'm wondering if anybody can give me some feedback on what current bands they like to listen to when tilting back their favorite polynesian libations? We need some new music here at the office! This isn't to say that we're tilting back cocktails while we're working... it's not necessary since we're actually all intravenously hooked up to mai-tai i.v.'s!

[Edited by Hanford to change the title]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-17 02:27 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-10 8:31 pm   Permalink

If you are looking for contemporary exotica music try these bands:

The Bad Examples
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026J92/qid=1018492240/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-7561088-9359128

Tipsy
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/61998/ref=m_art_dp/104-7561088-9359128

Vintage:

Tak Shindo is my fave.. check ebay for vinyl.

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-10 8:37 pm   Permalink

oh yeah you may also want to check out Fantistic Plastic Machine:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/158091/ref=m_art_dp/104-7561088-9359128

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 12:16 am   Permalink

For Modern Day bands, check out:

Don Tiki

Also, check out Lounge band Combustible Edison, they have several denny-inspired songs.

(I hear they're playing live shows again... does anyone know if they're back together?)

Also I second Tipsy, although they're not super "tiki"... Uh-oh is my favorite.

Beyond Tiki there's a lot of cool modern lounge sounds (Fantastic Plastic Machine is pretty cool, though I wouldn't call them tiki).

Here's one of my favorites that is neither modern or Tiki:
Man In Space With Sounds

I could keep going and going....

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 02:06 am   Permalink

here's a great band from japan:

http://www.sister.co.jp/pettybooka/e-pb.html

i ordered their cd, which has yet to arrive. i'll try to post a review after i give it a thorough listen.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-04-11 02:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-04-11 02:07 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 02:17 am   Permalink

I suppose it depends on what you define "tiki" as.. if you mean in the traditional polynesian pop sense, then you have

Arthur Lyman
Martin Denny
some Les Baxter
and thats pretty much it.

You could count some of their contemporaries such as Tak Shindo, Chaino, etc but there's really only the big 2. Everyone else wouldnt be true "tiki"

I pretty much use a loose notion of tiki to mean "lounge" or "exotica/easy listening" basically, anything that would sound more or less right playing in a tiki bar..

PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-04-11 02:33 am   Permalink

Well, there's Ultra Lounge, but that's not really a band. The Tiki Tones, of course. And the Jungle Exotica CDs, but they're all old stuff. I recently got a CD of a band called Hula Joe and the Hut Jumpers, which is a Hawaiian swing (with hints of techno in a coupla tracks) and I would have to say it's a pretty nice album. Then there are the classics as mentioned above: Lyman, Denny, Baxter, Yma Sumac, some Eartha Kitt, Don Ho, etc.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 03:08 am   Permalink

fatuhiva,

Yeah, it's tough to define tiki. And lounge these days, too! I was trying to think of stuff more along the lines of, well, modern day exotica.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 12:04 pm   Permalink

Besides the ones already mentioned
I am a big fan of...

Los Straightjackets.
http://www.straitjackets.com/
(surf guitars and Mexican wrestler masks who'd knew you could mix the two)

and lately...

Cousteau
http://www.cousteau.co.uk/
(though not really "tiki" just very cool more reminiscent of Burt Bacharach, it's like something I'd put on if chicks were coming over)

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 4:03 pm   Permalink

Hey Juan Garcia ESQUIVEL! Belongs in the the Denny, Lyman, Baxter list imho.

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 4:42 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Esquivel it top-notch.

But if you had a tiki bar open today, and it had a stage, what bands would you book to perform there? Assume you could get any band to play as long as they're still around and playing today...

I'll work on my list and get back to you.

~Hanford

MonkeyGod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-04-11 5:25 pm   Permalink

Senor Coconut, por favor! Even his name is tiki! Sort of...

Click here and listen to "Trans Europe Express."
http://www.emperornorton.com/mod/artistpage.php3?artist=senor_coconut

View Profile of MonkeyGod Send a personal message to MonkeyGod  Email MonkeyGod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-11 6:01 pm   Permalink

I am without the aid of my mp3 folder at home, but as I recall some great currently existing "surf rock" bands are:
The Irreversible Slacks
The Mermen
The Aqua Velvets

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-13 02:04 am   Permalink

Now I'm a big Esquivel fan, but techincally he would be "Space Age Bachelor Pad"

hahahaha

Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-13 05:31 am   Permalink

so what would the line up or instrumentation of a modern day tiki band be?

Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation