FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-19 01:50 am   Permalink

which ufo disc are you getting? i have 3rd perspective & find most of it to be great listening...a couple of songs are just okay.

[quote]
On 2002-04-18 20:18, fatuhiva wrote:
I second the motion on UFO (united future organization)

I just ordered a cd of theirs a few days back, liked the samples on amazon.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-04-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

thats the one!

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MonkeyGod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-05-04 09:26 am   Permalink

Check out this great track from pedal-steel-guitar legend BJ Cole and electronica producer Luke Vibert. It's a great piece of modern exotica.
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/lukevibertbjcole.html

View Profile of MonkeyGod Send a personal message to MonkeyGod  Email MonkeyGod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-04 09:54 am   Permalink

Not really Tiki music, but check out this oddity - Vincent Price reveals his fave Polynesian recipes on a vinyl LP!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=866741169

Does anyone own this astonishing piece?
Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-05-07 09:37 am   Permalink

Apologies to all of those on the Exotica forum for this barefaced steal:

"Hello Tiki Fans

You can now see video clips of "The Forbidden World of Don Tiki" shows at the Hawaiian Hut by visiting the "TV Lounge" at our website:

http://www.dontiki.com

Click on channels 1 and 2 and select medium or large format based on your capacity. Please have patience for the download as these are BIG files. The entire site has been updated and improved. Please let us know
what you think!

Alohaderci,

Fluid Floyd
http://www.dontiki.com

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-07 1:02 pm   Permalink

Check out the Loungebots! The elder loungebot just emailed me after tfinding tikifish.com online when looking for tiki stuff. He said the concept behind the loungebots is like if some rusty robots took over playing all the gigs at Holiday Inns across the country. Or something like that. Some fun tiki iconography here too. So go listen to the loungebots! And tell 'em I sent ya!

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/108/loungebots.html

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rocker

Posted: 2002-05-07 6:29 pm   Permalink

I would second a motion on going for a broad church when it comes to TIKI and sounds. Definition is everything but then so is vibe. Depending on my mood Tiki is everything from Lounge and Exotica...Yma Sumac, Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Nelson Riddle (Adore Nelson), to broader strokes like moog from the great Dick Hymen.

My favourite Hawaiin music is hands down Hal Aloma's Hawaiin Holiday album which I picked up in an old Church jumble sale for $1.50! I took the thing home and have never stopped playing it since, it literally gets high rotation in my car at all times.

Then you've got the other end of Tiki which I think is era related. Tiki it could be said spans from the 40's through to the mid 70's, so depending on what *mood* I am in, era wise, I tend to go pretty broad. Surf bands and 50's Rockabilly fall within the realm of era freindly grooves, so the Tiki Tones to early 60's garage R'n'B like the Sonics gets airplay at my Hut.

My list would go something like...

Martin Denny
Hal Aloma
Nelson Riddle
Les Baxter
Henry Mancini
Link Wray
Tiki Tones
Yma Sumac
60's James Bond Orchestra (Dr No) rocks!
Dick Hymen
The Four Freshmen
Beach Boys
Stray Cats
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Sounds Incorporated (My dads 60's band, the Beatles support band on all their tours and managed by Brian Epstien)
Sal Soul Orchestra
Burt Bacharach (Dust Springfield versions)
Gene Pitney (Very cool)
The Meteors... etc etc etc

I even string my Tiki into bands like the Cramps, the Clash, the B-52's etc...

Dig... Tiki Rocker

View Profile of Tiki Rocker Send a personal message to Tiki Rocker  Email Tiki Rocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-07 7:58 pm   Permalink

I won't get into any of the classic stuff cause there's plenty of peoplke around here who know those titles better than me. But as for new stuff:

The Blue Hawaiians

Ape (Crazy Al carves with this band)

The Fisherman (Brain Lease, The Fissherman, is acctually also a member of Ape but has a side project)

Let me know if you want some MP3s. Ape doesn't have a full length CD out yet but there's a demo, Crazy Al could probably get you that. Same thing with The Fisherman, no full length CD out right now just a demo but I got both their demos so I can get you MP3s for you to check out. The Blue Hawaiians have a pretty new CD called Live at The Lava Lounge. Hey I was going to give you a call in a couple of days to ask you about venues down toward San Diego area. I now your partner down at Tiki Farm is in a surf band so I wanted to see where would be a good place to book a band. I'm setting up a couple of shows for Ape in July, while they'll be coming into So-Cal. I got them a gig opening for The Blue Hawaiians on the 19th at Kozmos in Huntington Beach but I wanna line something up for the 20th (Saturday), down a little further towards San Diego.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-09 4:36 pm   Permalink

I would totally dig some MP3s of Ape and The Fishermen.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-10 01:25 am   Permalink

the blue hawaiians christmas album:

christmas on the big island

is good too.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wrath_of_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-05-15 6:10 pm   Permalink

for the modern French take on Lounge music try Sacrebleu by Dimitri from Paris That album never fails to entertain at cocktail parties.

View Profile of Wrath_of_Tiki Send a personal message to Wrath_of_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-16 07:13 am   Permalink

There is a yet unknown band that will be playing at Hukilau 2002. It turns out a musician in Atlanta has put together a new group. They will be playing along with The Penetrators and maybe more.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-30 11:01 am   Permalink

SIX WORDS:

QUINCY JONES BIG BAND BOSSA NOVA!

Is a lounge, swanky dream! Especially "Soul Bossa Nova" which most of y'all would recognise as that kooky/catchy song from Austin Powers.

TikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-09-12 9:27 pm   Permalink

Does Al Caiola fall into tiki at all? I seem to remember him doing a Hawaiian type album. I think my folks have it, I'll have to check.

View Profile of TikiGuy Send a personal message to TikiGuy  Email TikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-12 11:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-09-12 21:27, TikiGuy wrote:
Does Al Caiola fall into tiki at all? I seem to remember him doing a Hawaiian type album. I think my folks have it, I'll have to check.

I have an Al Caiola Hawaiian LP - can't remember the title but it is Al doing guitar instrumental versions of Hawaiian standards like The Hukilau Song and Lovely Hula Hands, etc. - It's pretty good!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation