FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-13 5:43 pm   Permalink

So I guess the real question is "what is Tiki Music" It would seem that it is any music a Tiki fan enjoys. When out at a bar like the Tonga room, I like the music to be exotic and ambiant. Vibes and Bird calls. I like more lounge type stuff at a place like Trader Sams. Good get drunk sing a long music. At an "Event" something with those pounding jungle drums. Music should fit the mood.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 02:39 am   Permalink

Though they don't have a CD out yet check out Project:Pimento:

http://www.projectpimento.com/

Some of my Favorite compilations on CD is a series put out by Laserlight with titles like
"The Love Handle Lounge", "The Bachelor's Little Black Book", Bikini's,Martinis and Memories", etc with many songs by (drumroll)...ROD MCKUEN (Who also produced the series).

There is more I want to tell ya'll about but I'm too tired...must sleep...night, night.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chefgrey2
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 08:02 am   Permalink

My vote for best all around band to play at tiki bashes...The Ka'au Crater Boys...not exotica, but great originals and covers...the best ukulele bar none! Grey

View Profile of chefgrey2 Send a personal message to chefgrey2  Email chefgrey2     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-09-14 1:01 pm   Permalink

Here are my favorite neo-Exotica/Space-Age tracks (in no certain order):

Tipsy – “Something Tropical”

Ursula 1000 – “Mr. Bongo”

Gentle People – “Tiki Mix”

Joey Altruda & his Cocktail Crew – “Cha Cha #69”

Fantastic Plastic Machine – “Bachelor Pad” *

Dimitri From Paris – “Love Love Mode”

Stereolab – “Velvet Water”

Tim ‘Love’ Lee – “Sombre Hombre”

Combustible Edison – “Theme From The Tiki Wonder Hour”

Pizzicato Five – “Twiggy vs. James Bond”

Bertrand Burgalat – “Sunshine Yellow”

Tipsy – “Pink Mood”

Frenchy – “Ribcage Mambo”

Air (The French Band) – “Ce Matin-La”

Ursula 1000 – “Nightcap”

The Wondermints – “Full Moon”

Cornelius – “Brazil”

High Llamas – “Evergreen Vampo”

Mellow – “Love On The Moon”

Pizzicato Five – “Cha Cha Cha”

Combustible Edison – “Seduction”

Towa Tei – “Technova (La Em Copacabana)”

Gentle People – “Relaxation Central”

Don Tiki – “Barbi In Bali”

Cordara Orchestra – “Jet Society”

Senor Coconut – “Trans Europe Express”

Grupo Batuque – “Brasileiros E Ingleses”

Louise Verti – “La Femme Fin De Siecle”

Trio Eletrico – “Lunera”

That's all I can think of for now. I've been compiling this stuff for years now. There's a lot of good stuff mixed in with Trip-Hop Electronica, but very few through and through Exotica group today.

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RhumbaKitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-11 12:26 am   Permalink

May I suggest the delicious concoctions of Cabaret Diosa? Voodoo Pinata is my favorite of their CDs, although any work fabulously--I have injected these strains into many a work setting, to raise many a smile and spirit. If you have not had the pleasure, check it out: http://www.cabaretdiosa.com

If you want your own Voodoo Pinata, don't be put off by the "out-of-stock" note, just go to your neighborhood music store, or http://www.cagefreerecords.com/catalog/cabaretdiosa.html or http://www.hapiskratch.com/store/store__21.html

View Profile of RhumbaKitty Send a personal message to RhumbaKitty  Email RhumbaKitty Goto the website of RhumbaKitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-11 03:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-05-04 09:26, MonkeyGod wrote:
Check out this great track from pedal-steel-guitar legend BJ Cole and electronica producer Luke Vibert. It's a great piece of modern exotica.
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/lukevibertbjcole.html

BJ sounded AWESOME on David Sylvian's Gone To Earth record back in '86 - still a CLASSIC recording.

James Teitelbaum
webmaster: Tiki Bar Review Pages
author: Tiki Road Trip
creator: Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-05-11 03:22 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-14 11:38 am   Permalink

I was very impressed with Project Pimento at the Tiki Oasis. My wife bought their CD and we grooved to it on the way home.

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-14 3:35 pm   Permalink

The Ventures all the way.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yaysandnays

Posted: 2003-05-15 1:18 pm   Permalink

i released a genuine but newly recorded exotica record back in 1996 with Bo Axelzon & his Exotic Sounds. the musicians (except for me and Adam who joined in on various instruments)actually played this kind of music back in the 1950-60s here in Sweden. you can read more about it at:
http://www.chaoskitty.com/t_chaos/subsnd.html
i still have some copies left of the ltd 10" if anyones interested in some swedish exotica. oh yeah they used to be the houseband at the stockholm tiki room before it became a permanent bar.
aloha
/stefan

View Profile of yaysandnays Send a personal message to yaysandnays  Goto the website of yaysandnays     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-16 11:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-05-11 03:17, tikibars wrote:

BJ sounded AWESOME on David Sylvian's Gone To Earth record back in '86 - still a CLASSIC recording.

OK, now I know the TC people are truly a diverse group. I never thought in a million years that I'd see the name David Sylvian on TC, but now I bless the heavens that now I have. I know he's neither tiki nor even vintage, but Sylvian remains one of the biggest influences of my life. Thank you for the mere mention of his name.

BTW, he has just released a new record called "Blemish" available at
http://www.davidsylvian.com/

And now you may return to the topic.........

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-17 09:15 am   Permalink

Hey BK,
If you like the Ventures you should check out The Shadows. Hanks Marvin, the guitarist, is the dude that wrote Apache. The Shadows were doing some great instro stuff in England that pre dates the Ventures and were HUGE in the U.K.
Also check out the Duo-tones unplugged.
You can hear samples at Paul Johnson's site. Paul Johnson is one of the founders of surf music. Paul and Gil Orr are amazing on the unplugged surf music disk.

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2003-05-17 14:03 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-17 11:49 am   Permalink

I agree with Tiki King about 'the music should fit the scene'. I enjoyed the rockabilly at Taboo Cove, firstly, because it's waay better than the usual hip hop that they play there, and secondly, because it's more up beat than lounge or exotica.

I would love to hear exotica at the Tonga. That would be prefect.

Hawiian music seems to work pretty well at Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach. I don't know if I could see exotica being played there. It might be cool to go in and ask if we could try it out though.

The bar/ decore definately dictates the type of music

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-17 12:34 pm   Permalink

If we're talking new music here...For those not able to get to PalmSprings !!!!!!!!
APE finally has débuted it first full length CD!!!!!

17 songs of Steel Guitar grooves and Jungle Drum rumblings !! 1800’s to 1960’s all your Urban-Savage needs fulfilled !

If you lead a Life of Shrunken Heads, Sacred Tikis and Kegs of Rum, your doing fine.

If this is not the case, follow APE back into the jungle.........

“JUNGLE GEMS” (full length version) Is Now Available !!
apetheband@aol.com

Don't forget Frank has a great CD out of all classic steel guitar!!! "the Waikiki Steel Works"... http://www.waikikisteelworks.com

MP3’s not posted yet.... If any local LA TC’ers can help me update the APE site with this stuff let me know........

http://www.tikimania.com/ape.html

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2003-05-17 12:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2003-05-19 00:19 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-17 1:35 pm   Permalink

Keep this thread going! Best exotica reference work to be found!

No one has mentioned the Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack! They have two CDs. "Hawaiian Swing" and "Shake Those Hula Hips" (Second one's better than the first). Big Band swing versions of, Hawaii 5-0, Hawaiian War Chant, Hukilau Song, Princess Poopooli Has Plenty Papayas, and so on. Great stuff.

The Vanduras recent CD, " In The Dark" is kind of dark, moody surf music to go with you third or fourth Zombie and a CD by The Moon-rays that has a nice medley of Denny's "Hypnotique" and "Our Man Flint" to bridge the spy/exotica gap.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-17 3:05 pm   Permalink

Speaking of Hawaii 5-0, check out our organ lead version from the 1993 "Ready Set Go!" album:

Daytonas - Hawaii 5-0

Hi Stefan, I remember seeing Bo Axelzon and his Exotic Sounds at the Tiki Room when it was located in Old Town. Can't really remember how they sounded though as I probably was a bit too intoxicated

Surf softly and carry a big board

[ This Message was edited by: Klas on 2003-05-17 15:06 ]

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation