FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-22 11:06 pm   Permalink

Here's one...the Oranj Symphonette's version of Hunry Mancini's "Lujon". complete with bird calls, etc.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 01:16 am   Permalink

(this last weekend after Tiki Taix, LA)

Just as the Bombay/Tonic tunnel was appearing on the drive home to Orange County.... The blissful tunes of the KING's! NEW! CD!! kept me on track the whole way... I only needed like two more songs.... good thing the CD was on repeat!

WOW! WOW! WOW! YOU MUST BUY THIS CD!!!!

GrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT!!! The King is.... THE KING!!!!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-03-29 09:06 am   Permalink

Cool C'Al, I want to get my copy of The King's CD. How's can we go about picking one up?

Need Info!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 02:43 am   Permalink

I really like the song Hatari by Mancini on the Hatari soundtrack, sounds of Hatari is great too, lots of tribal percussion, african style with lounge mixed in.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:21 am   Permalink

Wow! Hatari is one of my all time favorites...

Listening to it, you can just feel the dark clouds coming in over the African Veldt...very exciting.

As far as modern day tiki bands are concerned, I am going to do a shameless plug here: My band, the Smoking Menehunes. While we don't do any kitsch, camp, exotica or lounge, we do play straight up Hawaiian swing and Hapa-haole music from the 40's, 50's and 60's. We also do not play any surf music. We are very tradtional. No slack key either. Just pure steel guitar, Uke and upright bass. Very bare bones. When we play paid gigs, we always have a hula dancer.

Just so happens one of our first gigs of the season will be 4-28-07 at the tiki treasures and poly pin-ups shinding, with SQUID joining us on drums. If you want to hear the music you would have heard at the hotels in Waikiki circa 1962, then please come check us out!! Our singer is a protege of Bill Tapia, and is of Hawaiian descent.The other two of us our Haoles. We play the same kinds of things Bill Tapia plays, and in fact, he played with us all last summer as our 4th member. Needless to say, we all learned quite a bit from him!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 08:19 am   Permalink

My group WAITIKI is another modern tiki band you may be interested in.

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation