[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Food: Puu-Puu Platter
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Food: Puu-Puu Platter
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 06:54 am   Permalink

since the honolulu closed i've been having the puu-puu platter jones.

i've tried the puu-puus at our local chinese carry-out, and they are okay but not quite the same thing.

the ideal combination in my book (correct me if i'm wrong)

ribs
shrimp toast
crab rangoon
beef skewers (satay?)
shrimp tempura
chicken wings (?)

and of course you need the sweet/sour sauce and mustards for dipping, and the flaming cauldron of crystals coz they're cool.

(image courtesy sabina ~ mahaloz)

does anyone have a home-based source for these items? are the kahiki versions good? has anyone cobbled a puu-puu together from trader joes or any other source?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 2:54 pm   Permalink

All sound tasty to me-they're not hard to put together-crab rangoon is basically just cream cheese and crabmeat,seasoned up and put into a wonton skin.The beef sticks can be marinated in teriyaki sauce,put on skewers and broiled or bbqed.The ribs use a chinese barbaque powder called char siu-look at any asian market under a brand called NOH-rub it on dry for ribs or add a little water to form a paste and marinate pork in it for barbequed pork.I also love a little nosh called Ho Sai Gai-just cut up chicken breasts into a very small dice,marinate in a good teriyaki sauce or hawaiian marinade,add a little diced water chestnut and chopped green onion.After marinating the chicken mixture(few hours or overnight),cut squares of tin foil(about five inches by five inches)put a small amount of chicken on each piece of foil,flatten out slightly,fold over corners tightly,then deep fry until they float and stop sputtering.Absolutely delish! Oh,with wooden skewers,soak in water for about an hour so they don't burn.Tasty Tasty treaties!!!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-02 2:55 pm   Permalink

Sorry-forget to tell you to FRY the rangoons-serve with a sour orange sauce-can be marmalade,thinned with o.j.Can you tell I cook for a living???

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-02 11:13 pm   Permalink

if you have a Chinatown (or as we call it in Seattle ~ An International District) ~ you can buy the ribs and Char Sui (bbq pork) by the pound.

the frozen Pot Stickers from Costco are pretty good. so are the egg rolls.

i agree with DocWoods ~ get a deep fat fryer mmm!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-02 11:18 pm   Permalink

have any of you had "Got Let Chicken"?

more importantly, do you have a recipe??

in the 70's it was a staple at chinese restaurants in san diego.. chicken wings with all the meat scraped up to the top (like a lollypop)..then battered [but not like tempura, more like cornmeal] and deep fried..served drenched in sweet and sour sauce..

the last time i had some, was at The Limehouse on Mission Bay Drive (i used to work there as a hostess) as i recall, the bar had a few tiki mugs to serve drinks to regular customers, but none for sale..ah but those were the days when i didnt think Tiki was anything, but hokey!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-03 12:42 am   Permalink

I promise that I'll dig out my homegrown recipe for satay that my father says is just like what you get from Indonesian restaurants in Australia...It's just going to take some time to dig out in this mess I call home.

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-02 06:54, Johnny Dollar wrote:
since the honolulu closed i've been having the puu-puu platter jones.

i've tried the puu-puus at our local chinese carry-out, and they are okay but not quite the same thing.

the ideal combination in my book (correct me if i'm wrong)

ribs
shrimp toast
crab rangoon
beef skewers (satay?)
shrimp tempura
chicken wings (?)

and of course you need the sweet/sour sauce and mustards for dipping, and the flaming cauldron of crystals coz they're cool.

does anyone have a home-based source for these items? are the kahiki versions good? has anyone cobbled a puu-puu together from trader joes or any other source?

J$, Just plug what your looking for into
http://www.foodnetwork.com, you'll probably get 1/2 a dozen recipes each, here's one for Shrimp Toast from Emeril:

Shrimp Toast

1 pound peeled shrimp
1/4 cup minced green onions
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
1 egg white
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 pound cream cheese, cut into pieces
13 to 14 slices brioche or homemade-style white bread, crusts removed
Vegetable oil or clarified butter, for frying

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the shrimp, green onions, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, egg white, salt, and process until smooth. Add the cream and pulse just until incorporated, being careful not to over-process.
Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the shrimp mixture onto each slice of bread, spreading to the edges and smoothing the top.

In a large heavy pot, heat 4-inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees F. Add the shrimp toasts in batches and fry until golden, coated sides down first, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels, cut each slice in half diagonally, and serve immediately.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 12:23 pm   Permalink

bam!

mahalo everybody!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:42 am   Permalink

You are all brilliant and a pleasure! Anyone out there know "rumakee"?

View Profile of Sea-Tiki Send a personal message to Sea-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-08 11:10 am   Permalink

rumaki
i'll look for other versions of this recipe, when i worked at that chinese resaturant, i know they precooked the livers (much easier to work with) ~ then they deep fried the bacon wrapped chunks.. let them cool, THEN dip them into tempura batter, and fry again. mmmmm tasty.

Emeril's recipe from Foodtv.com

1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
1 teaspoon minced garlic
12 ounces chicken livers, rinsed, drained and cut into 24 pieces
4 cups vegetable oil
1 (4-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and cut into 24 pieces
12 slices bacon, cut in half lengthwise
Skewers or toothpicks

In a shallow bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, ginger and garlic. Add the chicken livers and toss to coat. Let marinate refrigerated for 2 to 4 hours.
Place the oil in a deep pot or a fryer and heat to 350 degrees F. Place the bacon flat on a work surface and scrape with the back of a knife to prevent from shrinking while cooking. Remove the livers from the marinade and pat dry. Place 1 chicken liver piece on each bacon half and top with a water chestnut slice. Roll up to enclose the livers and chestnuts in the bacon. Secure with a toothpick or long skewer.

Carefully add to the hot oil in batches. Fry until golden brown and the livers are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Remove the skewers or toothpicks and place the rumaki on a platter. Serve immediately.

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 3:13 pm   Permalink

Mmm,I LOVE rumaki! Feel free to bake or broil the bacon-wrapped livers if you'd like a little less oil in your food.Tasty!!!

Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-08 3:14 pm   Permalink

Ah, dogbytes...a fellow Seattlite. I should have known!
Hey, mahalo for your speedy reply--what you are telling me is that this is no low-fat dish! Worth it though...haven't had a good one of these since my parents' Super Bowl party in '76!
(P.S. It seems that Emeril must be a closet tiki-file!)

View Profile of Sea-Tiki Send a personal message to Sea-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-08 3:26 pm   Permalink

fat rules.
it is low carb ~ if that helps..

Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-08 9:11 pm   Permalink

I know, I know, it's a "tiki fat" thing.

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 10:48 pm   Permalink

Lets post some more of those Puu-Puu recipes, from Emeril again:

Crab Rangoon Pot Stickers with Hot Mustard Sauce

4 ounces bacon, chopped
1/4 cup minced yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
6 ounces crawfish tails
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces goat cheese, softened
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves
2 ounces Monterey Jack, grated
1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
1 package egg roll wrappers
Water
Vegetable oil
Essence, for dusting, recipe follows
Hot Mustard Sauce, recipe follows

In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until browned and crispy. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the crawfish, stir, and remove from the heat.

In a bowl, combine the cooked onion mixture, cream cheese, goat cheese soy sauce, hot sauce, green onions, and cilantro, and blend together. Add the Monterey Jack and mix well. Fold in the crabmeat, being careful not to break up the lumps. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Working 1 at a time, place the egg roll wrappers on a work surface. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the mixture into the center of the wonton and wet the edges. Fold over the sides to form a triangle and press to seal the edges. Set on a baking sheet and cover with a lightly damp cloth to prevent from drying out while assembling the remaining ingredients.

Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the crab rangoons and brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Once the rangoons are well browned, add a little water and cover. Cook an additional 2 minutes.

Arrange the crab rangoons on a platter. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup

Hot Mustard Sauce:
1/4 cup Chinese mustard powder
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon grated ginger
3/4 cup peanut oil

Whisk together mustard, vinegar, water, sesame oil, lime juice, honey, and ginger. While whisking, drizzle in the peanut oil.

Beef Satay with a Peanut Dipping Sauce

2 pounds skirt, flank or sirloin tip steak, cut into thin, wide strips against the grain
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon minced ginger, plus 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon minced garlic, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter, plus 1 tablespoon
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon toasted chopped peanuts
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned celery
2 cups shiso greens

Place the beef strips in a medium-sized bowl and pour the teriyaki sauce over them. Add 1 tablespoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon garlic and the salt to the bowl and stir to combine. Marinate, refrigerated, while you make the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ginger, peanut butter and coconut milk in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic to the bowl and whisk to combine. Place the sauce in a serving bowl and garnish with the cilantro and chopped peanuts. To serve the satays, set-up a Hibachi or indoor grill on the dining table with the carrots, celery and shiso around the grill. Remove the beef strips from the refrigerator and use skewers to thread the meat. Have your guests grill the satays themselves over the grill, about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side for medium-rare. Serve, with the dipping sauce and veggies on the side.

This one's from Tyler Florence

Shrimp Tempura with Soy Sake Dipping Sauce

Dipping sauce:
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sake
1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (recommended: Srirachi Hot Chili Sauce)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Tempura:
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup rice flour, plus 1 cup for dusting
1 cup cold seltzer water
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon sesame oil, optional
Vegetable oil, for frying
Kosher salt

Make the dipping sauce: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Set aside to allow the flavors to develop.

Butterfly the shrimp by cutting down the back, being careful not to cut all the way through. Open the shrimp like a book and rinse well with cold water.

Make the Tempura batter: Put 1 cup of rice flour in a bowl and pour in the seltzer. Stir with a whisk to get out all the lumps. Add the egg yolk and blend it in well. The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. Flavor with sesame oil, if using.

Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F in a wok or deep fryer. Dry the shrimp well. Dust the shrimp in flour to soak up any remaining moisture, shake off excess. Dip the shrimp into the batter one by one. Drop 4 or 5 pieces at a time in the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown, turning once, about 3 minutes. To keep the oil clean between batches, skim off the small bits of batter that float in the oil. Remove the fried shrimp from the oil and drain on paper towels; season them with salt. Serve with the dipping sauce.

Chicken Lollipops

3 cups dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup olive oil
2 ounces chopped garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3 ounces chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
10 pounds chicken wings

In a large mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs, olive oil, chopped garlic; Parmesan, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until bread crumbs are wet.

With a sharp paring knife separate chicken wing at the knuckle. Use the tips for chicken stock. Again with paring knife, score a circle around one end of the wing loosening chicken from the bone. With your fingers pull chicken down to one end, creating what look like a lollipops repeat until all are finished. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dredge chicken wings in a Parmesan bread crumbs. Mix until the "lollipops" are completely covered. The chicken wings should stand up straight with bread crumb side on sheet pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation