FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Food: Puu-Puu Platter
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Food: Puu-Puu Platter
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 7:15 pm   Permalink

If you're gonna go thru all of the trouble to make the food, you had better have a way to serve it...

$40 from:

chefsresource

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 07:17 am   Permalink

sweeeeeeeet!

thanks FZ!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:30 am   Permalink

Actually, I just checked the Dynasty Wholesale catalog and you can get the same thing for about $25 (cheaper if in bulk).

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:35 am   Permalink

okay i'm lazy... i could look myself, but you're so effective. do they have the stuff to burn in the middle, and what is it called? thx man

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-10 11:34 am   Permalink

thanks Z ~ i've been looking for a pu pu platter in seattle's chinatown and restaurant supplies, and hadnt found one.. then you show us one..then a cheaper one.. you're terrific!

J$ ~ sterno. not in the dynasty catalog, but readily available at party supply stores, and even at grocery stores.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-10 11:34, dogbytes wrote:

J$ ~ sterno. not in the dynasty catalog, but readily available at party supply stores, and even at grocery stores.

okay, i had the impression that sterno was paste-like, whereas the stuff i saw with the puu-puus was purplish and looked more like crystals. goes to show...

dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-10 12:26 pm   Permalink

its a gel.
http://www.sterno.com/sterno/sterno_retail/welcome.aspx

i'd guess restaurant supply stores might carry other brands, which might be the crystals you've seen.

i dunno. i just like fire.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-10 10:35, Johnny Dollar wrote:
you're so effective. do they have the stuff to burn in the middle, and what is it called?

I try.

I didn't see the crystals anywhere, and actually I've been wondering what they are myself. Rock salt & grape KoolAid perhaps?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

Sea-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-10 3:50 pm   Permalink

Once again, you are all an inspiration. I have just ordered one for Matt's b-day! Shhhhh...MAHALO ALL!

View Profile of Sea-Tiki Send a personal message to Sea-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 06:37 am   Permalink

Oceanic Arts has the monkeypod tray and the small cast iron grill.If I remember correctly,the tray was $22.00 and the grill was $9.00.I bought the grill and you should have seen the security guy at the airport.Because it is cast iron,it rang the cherries at the xray machine.I was asked to open my suitcase,and the security guard took it out and ask me what it was for."PuPu",I replied."PuPu?",the guard asked me."Yes,it's for cooking".He then said he had to show it to his supervisor because he didn't think he'd ever seen something for cooking PuPu.Just glad I could take it home.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-17 3:22 pm   Permalink

I haven't forgotten about posting my satay recipe. I'm still looking for it, but my life is in a bit of turmoil right now.

Also, if you don't like the way the sterno makes your food taste, you can always try charcoal. Most of those iron burners and grills will let you cook with charcoal or wood and aren't hard to clean afterwards.

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 4:38 pm   Permalink

I just had the platter at the Mai Kai on Saturday night. (I live about an hour away from Ft. Lauderdale, lucky me!)

It was presented in a cute way, but no flames. Not really. I mean, there was a cute tiny little candle in a red votive candleholder, placed inside a clay cavern. Pretty! But I would have liked some real flames, baby!

Taste wise, it was very very greasy. But I still loved it, because as far as Im concerned, Mai Kai can do no wrong.

They didnt give us any ribs though. I would have loved some yummy ribs!

~Lenore

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-10 10:30, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
Actually, I just checked the Dynasty Wholesale catalog and you can get the same thing for about $25 (cheaper if in bulk).

-Z

Thanks for the info. have been lookin to get one of these babies for awhile.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 1:52 pm   Permalink

OK, some more FoodTV.com recipes, these're from Emeril:

Grilled Chicken Satays with Peanut Sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into thin strips about 3 by 1/4-inch each
35 to 45 medium (7-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 to 30 minutes
Peanut Sauce, recipe follows
Chopped peanuts, garnish
Cilantro sprigs, garnish

In a medium bowl, combine the soy, oil, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, coriander, and pepper flakes. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
Preheat the grill to medium-high. (Or preheat the broiler.)

Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread 1 strip of chicken down the middle of each skewer.

In batches, cook the satays on the grill (or on a broiler pan under the broiler) until the chicken is cooked through and the meat is browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side, watching carefully and turning so the meat does not burn.

To serve, arrange the skewers on a platter and lightly drizzle with the peanut sauce and chopped peanuts. Serve additional sauce in a bowl on the side for dipping. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve hot or at room temperature.

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 (12-ounce) jar smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/3 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
Hot sauce, optional

To make the peanut sauce, in a food processor, combine the green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, and ginger and blend on high speed for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the peanut butter and sesame oil and blend, scraping down the sides, for 30 seconds. Add the fish sauce and lime juice and process to blend. Add the coconut milk and hoisin sauce and process until smooth, scraping down the sides, as needed. You may add hot sauce to taste, if desired.

Beef Satay with a Peanut Dipping Sauce

2 pounds skirt, flank or sirloin tip steak, cut into thin, wide strips against the grain
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon minced ginger, plus 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon minced garlic, plus 1 teaspoon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter, plus 1 tablespoon
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon toasted chopped peanuts
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned celery
2 cups shiso greens

Place the beef strips in a medium-sized bowl and pour the teriyaki sauce over them. Add 1 tablespoon of ginger, 1 tablespoon garlic and the salt to the bowl and stir to combine. Marinate, refrigerated, while you make the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ginger, peanut butter and coconut milk in a small bowl and whisk together. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, cayenne pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic to the bowl and whisk to combine. Place the sauce in a serving bowl and garnish with the cilantro and chopped peanuts. To serve the satays, set-up a Hibachi or indoor grill on the dining table with the carrots, celery and shiso around the grill. Remove the beef strips from the refrigerator and use skewers to thread the meat. Have your guests grill the satays themselves over the grill, about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side for medium-rare. Serve, with the dipping sauce and veggies on the side.

...And from Roy Yamaguchi:

Korean Style Barbecue Short Ribs

1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup sliced green onion
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons ko chu jang (Korean hot pepper sauce)
1 1/2 pounds short ribs (have your butcher cut 1/8-inch thick slices of short ribs, bone attached)

Preheat a grill.
Combine soy sauce, sugar, green onions, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and ko chu jang with ribs and marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Grill over charcoal barbecue grill.

Note: Adjust sweetness or spiciness by adding more or less of either sugar or ko chu jang sauce.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 2:22 pm   Permalink

and if you get lazy , no like slave in da kitchen, and need hawaiian kine food delivered, these guys actually will send it most anywhere.

http://www.zippys.com/

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation