Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Food: Puu-Puu Platter
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Food: Puu-Puu Platter
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 2:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-24 14:22, lanikai wrote:
and if you get lazy , no like slave in da kitchen, and need hawaiian kine food delivered, these guys actually will send it most anywhere.

http://www.zippys.com/

Great! I was wondering what to have for dinner tonight. How much should I tip the guy when he shows up?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 3:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-24 14:52, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-06-24 14:22, lanikai wrote:
and if you get lazy , no like slave in da kitchen, and need hawaiian kine food delivered, these guys actually will send it most anywhere.

http://www.zippys.com/

Great! I was wondering what to have for dinner tonight. How much should I tip the guy when he shows up?

enuff ta cover his plane fare...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-18 11:58 am   Permalink

What a great thread that deserves a bump.

Does anyone else have any other suggestion for their fav items on a pupu platter? How essential are the sauces? If yes, what are your sauce musts to go with your fav contents of the famous appetizer combo?

It is acceptable to just stop at 4 types of food on your pupu?

I've only had the Mai Kai puu puu platter, so I really can't say what are other favs from around the tiki community. Just curious and would love feedback.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-19 05:08 am   Permalink

I found a recipe for Vegetarian Rumaki in a new cookbook I bought! Haven't tried it yet - but here goes. Its also good if you're a tightwad and don't want to shell out for scallops, ahhah!

Mushroom Rumaki

24 canned water chestnut slices
1/2 cup port wine
1 tbsp olive oil
12 small mushroom caps. halved
1 tbsp tamari or other soy sauce
5 slices vegetarian bacon, cut into 2-inch lengths

1. Place the water chestnuts in a sha;llow bowl and add the port. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temp.

2. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the msuhrooms and soy sauce and cook until mushrooms are slightly softened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

2. Position a rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the broiler. Wrap a slice of water chestnut and a mushroom half in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients and place on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler and broil until bacon is crisp. serve hot!

Serves 6 to 8 cheapskates or vegetarians

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KaptainKuku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-18 11:26 pm   Permalink

Mmmmm...Pupu platter...

When I was a kid (the 1970's), every Chinese restaurant in New Jersey used to offer these, and I frequently insisted on my folks ordering one for us, since I loved toasting stuff on the fire. Those multi-colored shrimp chips (looked like styrofoam packing material, tasted vaguely of shrimp) were the best. Toasting those was not done, though.

There weren't any Polynesian places as such that I recall, but a few of the Chinese restaurants around New Jersey made moves in that direction, offered the Pupu appetizers and had a small selection of polynesian cocktails in tiki mugs, if I'm remembering correctly. Obviously I never had any cocktails, and my folks weren't drinkers (much) so they never ordered any either.

The one we went to most often was the Jade Foutain on Route 17 in Paramus, long gone. I even remember my Cub Scout troop had some type of banquet dinner in there, we had it in the cocktail lounge! Pupu memories...

View Profile of KaptainKuku Send a personal message to KaptainKuku      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 06:28 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:36 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-28 12:59 pm   Permalink

... pu pus at china inn in pacific beach...

... the volcanos rule, too...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-04 08:52 am   Permalink

Aloha Bro! Just had one the other night! The drinks were strong too though non-traditional, served in Dynasty mugs and the bartender Amy (?)is a sweetheart.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation