FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Bar Decor Staple SCORED!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Bar Decor Staple SCORED!
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:14 pm   Permalink

Sorry, that finds thread is just way too long. Although I hunt and find cool stuff often, they rarely warrent the time to load pics, but this is different...

I have several 10"-11" clam shells but I've been wanting one of these for a long time!The giant ones are endangered and illegal to fish and import.

I found it this morning, it is REAL. It is 30" long 17 1/2" wide and (after unloading out of my trunk, I had to weigh it) 70 lbs!
A steal at $40.00.

There's a can of soda for size ref. It's ZAZZ!

a little bleach should clean it up nice.
on the back there are bits of coral, shells, and some worm casings

I've always like the old barrel lamps at Bahooka but the smaller barrels I've seen have always been $65.00 and up. Why, I don't know. The one in the picture was $3.00. It'll look sweet with a red bulb.

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale in a Victorian House about to be demolished. There was a shed in the back yard and on the back of it hung an old fish net with cork floats, shells and two high shelves where they sat. I asked the guy how much and he said they weren't for sale because they wouldn't come off the shelves, he'd tried. So I pulled up some furniture and tried...screwed on and rusted to the shelves. I wasn't going to give up and went into the garage, found some pliers and went to work unscrewing long rusted bolts. My arms fell asleep but I got them, $5.00. Floats $1.00 each.

I always pick up the old, real (not foam) cork floats because even OA says they can't find them anymore!

Now if I find another (yea, right), I'll make sinks for the bathroom!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:17 pm   Permalink

Damn, now I have to have one. Nice score.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-03 16:17, Raffertiki wrote:

Yeah, thanks a ton. I was doing just fine not needing to buy a giant shell.

Laney, your backyard looks pretty cool. Do you have any pics of the whole backyard? Maybe snap one once you place your new find in the perfect location?

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-03 16:14, laney wrote:

I found it this morning, it is REAL. It is 30" long 17 1/2" wide and (after unloading out of my trunk, I had to weigh it) 70 lbs!
A steal at $40.00.

excellent! These guys are worth 3 to4 hunnert!

Quote:

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale

oh no! Even in TC, Marquesas/Tahiti tikis are equated with contemporary commercial icons! (quiznos mutant ratsquirrels in this instance)

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:42 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-06-03 16:30, lanikai wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-06-03 16:14, laney wrote:
Quote:

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale

oh no! Even in TC, Marquesas/Tahiti tikis are equated with contemporary commercial icons! (quiznos mutant ratsquirrels in this instance)

Ummm, look close, it sure looks like they have tails between their legs, so I don't know what they are!!!????!!! I saved them from certain demolition still! Educate me please

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:47 pm   Permalink

great..now i have 'shell envy' too.

great score.. (so good it DOES deserve a new thread!!)

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

it sure looks like they have tails between their legs, so I don't know what they are!!!????!!! I saved them from certain demolition still! Educate me please

hmmm haveta see da backside o da buggahs. could they be a new hybrid; ratiki...
still, hope they don't start singin' like these guys:
http://www.rathergood.com/

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 5:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-03 16:25, MachTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-06-03 16:17, Raffertiki wrote:

Laney, your backyard looks pretty cool. Do you have any pics of the whole backyard? Maybe snap one once you place your new find in the perfect location?

Why, thanks. I have several projects going on right now but would like to have another get together towards the end of summer. I'd like to do a day-time swim, drink, sun thing.

Here are some pics I've posted here before.

view from outdoor bar/patio

Kentias near pool

The treasure chest poolside

another estate find $50 mermaid, I repainted

The area behind the shell, was just dirt next to the outdoor bar. I recently put railroad ties and planted Ti plants and a palm.
I'm trying to re-do the front yard after a fatal palm fungus and working on the back too. It sure is a TON of work but, bit by bit, it's comming along.

This one's for Poly Pop, Bob says "Hi!"

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-06-03 6:00 pm   Permalink

Laney,

that is one cool score alright! where (in general terms) did you find it?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-03 7:16 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:34 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-04 11:51 am   Permalink

Laney,

Thanks for posting the pics. Very cool backyard! From the looks of it, Disney should be calling you real soon about your eye for creating attractions.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 10:15 am   Permalink

Cool, found this old Steamer Trunk. They wanted 50, I asked if they'd take 40 clams....they did. Thanks to eel for the inspiration. I'll put a false bottom on it and fill it with real pearls, pieces of eight and silk from East India and the Orient. Any pirate that gets near it will face a cannon ball arrrrr perhaps a tight noose. Scurvy dawg.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-07-22 10:17 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-22 5:45 pm   Permalink

NIIIIIICE. I lost a great wooden chest in my divorce many years ago....similar to that one...only mine had a flat top. I refinshed it and lined it with neat fabric. I have my eye on a really beautiful chest at a local antique store but they want too much for it, and they are not negotiable on the price.

If you are an on-line shopper like me
here is a good site. Of course finding an antique chest in the wild is better.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 6:23 pm   Permalink

it's always a score to get ahold of a good chest.

good on ya jungle!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 8:46 pm   Permalink

but is it good to get a hold of an old chest?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation