Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food "Retro Luau" ~ new book
"Retro Luau" ~ new book
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-04 9:03 pm   Permalink

Planning the Perfect Polynesian Partyi borrowed a copy from the library ~ its by Pichard Perry (ISBN 1-888054-90-5 for you librarians)

i might buy a copy... the graphics are delightful, a mix of old photos from luaus, old cookbooks and vintage advertising. great tips for creating an island atmosphere ~ even instructions for making a real Kalua Pig (and the oven instructions for the rest of us non-traditional types)...

cold & warm pupus, chips, dips & spreads, desserts, alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks (the punches look particularly good)
the recipes look correct (the writer is a chef, not just someone cashing in on a craze)

its luau time!
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-05 07:55 am   Permalink

Sounds like a must-have for my cookbook library-thanks for the tip!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-08 8:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info. Apparently these folks have a whole retro line...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888054905/qid=1086746408/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-9415273-2977553?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Probably nothing new to the wonderful folks we are, but good gift ideas for any Ordinarys you know who need their bookshelves (and lives) done up a little.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 01:44 am   Permalink

ah luv it;
titled:
"retro luau"
but then gives you the format to create a non retro luau.
hmmmmmm...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 06:15 am   Permalink

I saw the book "Retro Happy Hour" and peeked inside-there was the coolest treasure chest made out of pineapples.They showed it propped open,filled with all kinds of fruit,including green grapes and strawberries strung on some sort of cord,spilling out of the treasure chest like beads.It was really over the top wild.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation