Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Food Network Show "Tiki Bar Treats"
Food Network Show "Tiki Bar Treats"
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-05 2:20 pm   Permalink

Caught most of a show this morning (Saturday May 5, 2004) called "Tiki Bar Treats" on the Food Network's "Food 911". They had a rum collector named Tyler from New Orleans (anyone know him?) No tiki bar or even tikiness in his house but a sh*t-load of rum. He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

Anyway, the show will be rebroadcast on June 08, 2004 11:00 AM ET/PT. Here's the link with recipes:

Caught most of a show this morning (Saturday May 5, 2004) called "Tiki Bar Treats" on the Food Network's "Food 911". They had a rum collector named Tyler from New Orleans (anyone know him?) No tiki bar or even tikiness in his house but a sh*t-load of rum. He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

Anyway, the show will be rebroadcast on June 08, 2004 11:00 AM ET/PT. Here's the link with recipes:

LINK

Personally, I was underwhelmed by it all but what do I know!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-06-05 14:24 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-05 6:49 pm   Permalink

Tyler is a Dirty Stinker!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-07 12:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-05 14:20, Atomic Cocktail wrote: He made a Mai Tai according to "The Original Don the Beachcomber Recipes" I always though Trader Vic invented the Ma Tai: Am I wrong?

the purported origin and history of the maitai is too apocryphal for this to be such a dogmatic point.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-06-07 12:09 pm   Permalink

Damn, where's my thesaurus when I need it!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 12:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-07 12:09, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Damn, where's my thesaurus when I need it!

nemmind dat arready. goin' try fo translate um.
chance um!

da haole bugga who make beeg kine lie about his leg wen get all bus up, tell errybody, da kine got bit off by da mako.
so now, da haole buggah finds da shaka kine tropical drink, geevum one name, bumbay li'dat, make huhu when da oddah buggahs wen tellum:

i wen make um.

but da odda kanakas tell da blalah no mek li dat, we been drinken em befo' you haole crab! get planny li dat long time arready.
so now get planny pilikia errytime we steh talk storeh bout da kine.

Aswhoy Hahd, eh!?

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2004-06-09 12:33 am   Permalink

Atomic,

Apparently, although Don Beach himself said Trader Vic invented the drink, recently one of Don's relatives (wife? daughter?) has been disputing that and saying that Don invented it, most recently in a book (
This book?)

It's been talked about before here on TC.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 10:17 am   Permalink

Ok Dr. Z, think this guy has more rum than you!

Tbird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 5:04 pm   Permalink

This is airing again next Tuesday. Time to set the TiVo

AIR TIMES:
September 13, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT

Tiki Bar Treats
While Steve serves up the Mai Tais, Tyler teaches him to make a veritable pupu platter of Polynesian appropriate palatables: Wild Mushroom Spring Rolls; Grilled Prawns with Salsa; Pineapple Glazed Pork Ribs; and Sticky Honey-Soy Chicken Wings.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 3:01 pm   Permalink

This is one of those points that will be argued untill long after were are all dead. I think they are both right.

It is my understanding Don the Beachcomber had a drink at his bar called a "Mai Tai" long before Trader Vic ever could have (in 1933). That drink is the one linked to in Tiki bar treats at the top of this thread.

The drink we have all come to know and love as the "Mai Tai" was invented by Trader Vic. Anyone who says I didn't invent this drink is a dirty stinker. He never said "anyone who says I was not the first tiki bartender to name a drink a "Mai Tai" is a dirty stinker".

Don and Vics Mai Tais are two very different drinks which are each a pleasure to drink. Weather you argue inventor of the name or inventor of this drink we can both be right. Can't we all just get along. As Bill Clinton would have said in a debate like this: It all depends on what your definition of "Mai Tai" is.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2005-09-11 15:34 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation