FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki eBay: Tiki - 3 Hand Carved Tiki Figures w/2 Decorative Spear Heads
eBay: Tiki - 3 Hand Carved Tiki Figures w/2 Decorative Spear Heads
AnDru

Posted: 2004-06-09 3:23 pm   Permalink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3915728582&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

These are ideal for a theatrical or 'concept' atmosphere.
Great site btw.

View Profile of AnDru Send a personal message to AnDru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 3:50 pm   Permalink

Welcome to tiki Central AnDru.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 4:10 pm   Permalink

Welcome AnDru.

When you get a chance tell us a little bit about yourself in the link below:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&904

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 4:17 pm   Permalink

Would this be African?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-09 16:17, Unga Bunga wrote:
Would this be African?

These do look a bit African. Do you know what Pacific island these are from AnDru?

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 4:48 pm   Permalink

The tikis look Marquesan to me, but I'm no expert. Possibly Rarotongan? The spears don't look like a style I've seen before, but they don't look inconsistent with Polynesian styles, either.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AnDru

Posted: 2004-06-09 7:31 pm   Permalink

Hi All- Wow! Tks for all the great responses. Not African- nor Marquesan - though you are not the first to suggest this.
The origin of these pieces remains a bit of a mystery- in that they were found in the attic of a man who was closing out his business and moving. All he could say was that they had originally been brought back from the Pacific by a former employer of his and they had been left with him. A customer recently suggested they were Tahitian. I have many more and will be adding them to an online store individually and in different sets in the next day or so. I'll be sure to post the information here. Good to meet you everyone.

View Profile of AnDru Send a personal message to AnDru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-09 7:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-09 19:31, AnDru wrote:
A customer recently suggested they were Tahitian.

Then they are Marquesan. Historically speaking, Tahiti never had tikis - Tahitians adopted and started carving the Marquesan style because many years ago, tourists who went to the islands wanted to buy tikis for souvenirs and as such, they responded by adopting the Marquesan style as their own.

These are clearly Marquesan influenced in style. Even if they actually are from Tahiti, they're style is still Marquesan.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-06-09 19:47 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AnDru

Posted: 2004-06-09 7:52 pm   Permalink

))
Many thanks Poly-Pop!

dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-09 8:29 pm   Permalink

the auction closed with no one bidding on it?

will you relist?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AnDru

Posted: 2004-06-09 8:44 pm   Permalink

Hi DB,
2 sets were available at a fixed price and both were purchased. I have other sets I'm putting together which will include addititional pieces. I'll let everyone know when they are ready.
tks

dogbytes

Posted: 2004-06-09 9:00 pm   Permalink

well heck..i was trying to quit ebay cold turkey.. then you show up with your tikistuff..

pretty soon, Hanford's gonna have to add a PayPal button to the profiles...

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation