FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-16 7:26 pm   Permalink

Good 1

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teadoir
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-02-07 10:51 pm   Permalink

My wife works across the street. Her response when I told her there used to be a great tiki bar there? "Figures."

Now I'm irked because now I've another set of items I feel the need to collect...

View Profile of Teadoir Send a personal message to Teadoir      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-24 4:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-27 14:18, tikicoma wrote:
And my guess is that this is the 12 foot tiki they were talking about... just guessing but it possibly cedar carved to look like palm.

I picked up this news photo of the restaurant manager standing next to the Tiki in the Vintage Roadside photo, sure looks to be 12 feet tall. You'll note that he is holding a Steve Crane Salt shaker/pepper.

The back of the photos states that the Tiki was a gift from the sheriff of Honolulu, so it is a Hawaiian Palm at that.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-02-24 8:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dusty... and oops. I forgot to update on this thread that (like I did on the Bumatay thread) McVay said it was too deeply carved to have been his. But if you look at it it matches Bumatay's style and apparently he was carving in Hawaii before he came to the mainland. And if that's palm it probably was pretty quickly beat up by the wet northwest weather.

Dusty is the date on that news photo 1959?

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2017-02-24 20:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2017-02-24 21:16 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-28 1:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2017-02-24 16:20, Dustycajun wrote:
I picked up this news photo of the restaurant manager standing next to the Tiki in the Vintage Roadside photo, sure looks to be 12 feet tall. You'll note that he is holding a Steve Crane Salt shaker/pepper.

That's a spectacular photo DC!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-02 11:35 am   Permalink

Thanks Randy! So if that picture marked the beginning of Portland Kon Tiki, this next one marked the end. I got another newspaper photo that was taken after the Sheraton changed hands and became the Red Lion in 1981 at the height of Tiki devolution. The Kon Tiki was on the way out and they were GIVING the Tikis away to guests!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 25 days ago; 7:17 pm   Permalink

Howdy!

I was wondering if you’ve been able to find any other photos or anything from any of these old Portland Tiki Bars!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation