FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
Adam Aku Aku
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-07 9:25 pm   Permalink

I could be wrong but I believe it would be across the street from Loyd Center where the Double Tree hotel is.

View Profile of Adam Aku Aku Send a personal message to Adam Aku Aku  Email Adam Aku Aku     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-09 2:37 pm   Permalink

Here it is today, I was in the area this morning.

View Profile of tikidon Send a personal message to tikidon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-09 2:57 pm   Permalink

It would be cool to do a Photoshop comp of the old Kon Tiki facade on the current hotel. Might try to get a shot from the angle of the previous (vintage) shot and see if I can match them up.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-21 01:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-09 14:57, TikiMaxton wrote:
It would be cool to do a Photoshop comp of the old Kon Tiki facade on the current hotel. Might try to get a shot from the angle of the previous (vintage) shot and see if I can match them up.

Gave it a shot with the two pics already up on here! Not the greatest Photoshop work, but not bad either!

---

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-21 10:19 am   Permalink

Damn! That's pretty cool! Would you mind if I jacked that picture to share on FB?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-04-21 10:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-21 10:19, TikiMaxton wrote:
Damn! That's pretty cool! Would you mind if I jacked that picture to share on FB?

Not at all! Share away!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-06-21 9:18 pm   Permalink

Does anyone else have other photos from the Portland Kon-Tiki? I would love to see more details of the entire place!
---

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-22 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-06-21 21:18, DixonAlibi wrote:
Does anyone else have other photos from the Portland Kon-Tiki? I would love to see more details of the entire place!

Wouldn't we all! Here is a photo of the food spread and a Tiki from an advertising photo I clipped from ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-07-22 12:26 pm   Permalink

That's sweet!

DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-08-14 11:25 am   Permalink

This postcard showed up on eBay. The back says it's the Portland Kon-Tiki, but the entrance didn't look like this postcard!? I'm confused now.

---

tikicoma
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-14 2:44 pm   Permalink

DixonAlibi, for some reason the Kon Tiki group used an artist/architects rendering of the Montreal Kon Tikis entrance for the Portland restaurant at one time. I don't know why and yes it does confuse things. Below is a postcard from the Montreal location.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-26 7:09 pm   Permalink

Eugene Register-Guard 7/10/66
"(Mike) McVay, carved the 12-foot tiki which provides the motif for the South Seas atmosphere at Portland's Sheraton Motor Inn."

Humm... I wonder if he ever came up to Tacoma? (answer: he did, don't know if he carved the tikis that are/were here yet though)

oops! I forgot the link.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19660710&id=BudVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UOEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4161,1935405&hl=en

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2016-08-26 20:00 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi

Posted: 2016-08-27 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-26 19:09, tikicoma wrote:
Eugene Register-Guard 7/10/66
"(Mike) McVay, carved the 12-foot tiki which provides the motif for the South Seas atmosphere at Portland's Sheraton Motor Inn."

Humm... I wonder if he ever came up to Tacoma? (answer: he did, don't know if he carved the tikis that are/were here yet though)

oops! I forgot the link. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19660710&id=BudVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UOEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4161,1935405&hl=en

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2016-08-26 20:00 ]

What page of the paper is that on?
---

tikicoma
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-27 2:18 pm   Permalink

It's on pages 31-33. The link I found it on went directly to the article but just goes to that days paper now for some reason. And my guess is that this is the 12 foot tiki they were talking about... just guessing but it possibly cedar carved to look like palm.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation