FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Portland Kon Tiki and other defunct Portland tiki bars
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-05 08:55, sputnikmoss wrote:
I have 4 chairs that came from the Kon Tiki when it closed down. It's a bad photo but the rattan is painted light yellow color and the vinyl is green.The original owners got them at the restaurant auction then used them for patio chairs.

That is a sin to paint those chairs yellow.They should be striped and redone in the natural
rattan and varnished .Leave the original vinyl alone.Need any help let me know.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here is another relic from the Portland Tiki past.

A matchbook from the Zombie Zulu.

Vintage Roadside just did a new shirt for Oasis with this logo.

Quote:

On 2010-07-19 20:32, Vintage Roadside wrote:
Here's the world's first look at one of the three new designs we'll be launching at Tiki Oasis this year.

Portland's Zombie Zulu. Circa. 1950 - 1958. Hope you enjoy it!

Any more info on this one?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-06 13:03, Dustycajun wrote:
Does anybody have info on the Bali Hai in Portland. I found an image of this matchbook a while ago and have not been able to find out anything else.

DC

I just read in Tiki Road Trip II that the Bali Hai may have become a Pantley's Pagan Hut...

Well it's true! I just missed out on this matchbook on ebay from the Pagan Hut that was located at 10th and Stark in Portland. Never knew there was another Pagan Hut outside of Depoe Bay.

Cool!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-12 10:46 am   Permalink

Wow! 10th and Stark was a revolving door of names.

Sept 1950- South Seas opens as a 24hr steak house

Dec 1954- Rosini's opens as an Italian restaurant and Reef Lounge. Ben Adams and Tony Rosini are the operators. Ben Adams operated the South Seas and was brother of Eddie Adams, operator of the Zombie Zulu). This venture enlarged the restaurant at a sum of $50k and featured chicken,steak, and seafood as well as Italian food. Phone number CA-7-5093

Jan 1960- Pagan Hut has a delayed opening due to the freighter containing their Polynesian decor was docked in Seattle and had stop in Vancouver BC and Longview WA before delivering in Portland. It opened in March 1960. Everything from floor to ceiling was new and imported from Japan,Philippines,Tahiti,Hawaii,Mexico,and Hong Kong. It had 25 palm trees inside some 14 feet tall and wall to wall carpeting.
The Pagan Bar held 38 people and the dining room was set off from the Hut by a continuous wall of Japanese screens and tropical plants. The restaurant was open from 7am to 2am.

Sept 1960- it's advertised as the "Bali Hai (formerly Pantly's Pagan Hut)"

June 1962-advertised as the Showcase Supper Club phone number CA-7-6564

Feb 1963-opens as Julie's Club phone number CA-6-1161

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 1:40 pm   Permalink

Sputnik,

Nice research, amazing connection between the owners of the different places including the Zombie Zulu. Where do you find all of the Portland info? The Oregonian?

Here is another maybe pre-Tiki place from Portland's past, The Tropics hosted by Jack Bain. It was located on SE Yamhill. A couple of matchbooks were on ebay recently.

Any info on this one??

DC

sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-15 12:47 pm   Permalink

The Oregonian now has a searchable online historical archive. It makes researching really fun and easy. Awesome matchbooks by the way! The Tropics sounds like it was a little rough and seedy.

1942-Jack Bain band leader and democratic nominee for State Legislature was denied a restaurant and service license.

1943-Jack Bain arrested for serving alcohol without a license. Released on $250 bail

1944-Jack Bain received a $100 suspended fine for violating fire code. He had opened the windows and allowed patrons to throw cigarettes out onto the awnings below.

1944-Jack Bain sued by bartender Helen Jensen for a personal injury. She states that she was trying to remove a drunk patron at 4am on Jan 1, 1944 and she was kicked in the groin.

1945-Bartender robbed at gunpoint by two men of the nights receipts of $200.

I couldn't find anything that described the interior or entertainment

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-15 6:05 pm   Permalink

Sputnik and TikiMaxton,

Since the two of you have some items from the Kon Tiki, I was wondering if you have a handle on the whereabouts of anything from the Portland Trader Vic's. All I know is that they had an auction of much of the stuff after they lost their lease.

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-15 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-15 12:47, sputnikmoss wrote:
I couldn't find anything that described the interior or entertainment

Jack -the bane of the Tropics! Nothing on him as a band leader, either. Sounds like this was some gangster hang out, cool!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Const Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-21 7:55 pm   Permalink

Dustycajun,

The only info that I have to add about the Bali Hai is that Jimmy George, it's co-owner, passed away about two months ago. He ran it with George Dussin for several years. If I see Jimmy's cousin I'll ask her if she has any Bali Hai swag.

View Profile of Const Tiki Send a personal message to Const Tiki  Email Const Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 11:35 am   Permalink

Here are some better images of the Zombie Zulu matchbook from ebay, including the nice feature sticks on the inside.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Wonderful. I want that T-shirt! And those matches...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-30 10:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
I want that T-shirt! And those matches...

The shirt is easy, $20.00

https://www3074.ssldomain.com/vintageroadside/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=73&Cat=62

The matches not so easy.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 11:25 pm   Permalink

These cool matchbooks from the Jasmine Tree Tiki Bar (reincarnated to Thatch) are popping up now and again on ebay. More orange for the Portland Tiki color scheme, I like that.

Here's the link to the reincarnation story.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20918&forum=1&hilite=jasmine tree

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-22 8:21 pm   Permalink

DC, congrats on that T.V. St. Louis find also....I just was browsing thru the Andres Bumatay thread and my Tiki memory got triggered, by a photo I took in the 90s of one of the Bumatay Tikis in front of the Royal Hawaiian in Long Beach:

A Bumatay in Portland, how nice.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-07 12:05 pm   Permalink

Here is a nice little ad from the Portland Kon Tiki I found on Flickr.

It is shaped like the Steven Crane's famous Kon Tiki Ku mug.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation