FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » how do you tell Dad ~ thats not tiki?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
how do you tell Dad ~ thats not tiki?
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-10 8:11 pm   Permalink

my dear old dad loves looking for tiki items for me at garage sales and flea markets. i dont want to do anything to discourage him, as sometimes the non tiki things are actually pretty cool. for example these two i have displayed.

but alas, today, dad sends me these pics via email. he's bringing them next month when he visits. i cant figure what these might be.

i suppose i'll add them to the tiki room while he's in seattle, take a few pics and email them to him with a thank you note..

hey, is there an UglyCarvingCentral somewhere i can trade these things?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 8:32 pm   Permalink

My sister (a shopaholic- a real one, not just a big shopper) spends most days at Marshall's. I made the mistake of telling her about some of the things I was looking for (Suffering Corn Flake Oil, etc) and I described them in excruciating detail. Well, I am now the proud owner of an Aztec wall plaque and Hindu book ends.

When I showed her the bottles after I bought them myself, she said, "oh, that??? that's not ANYTHING I would have thought you'd want"

Humph.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: feelin' zombified on 2004-06-10 20:33 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga King
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:03 pm   Permalink

I know exactly what your talking about.. I often head out to obscure places looking for TIKI, what I find is most places have "things" that would almost pass for TIKI but in reality there kind of African and not TIKI.. there is a fine line there and a very noticable difference... I have told my family about this TIKI hunt that we are all so proud to be apart of, so I am sure that at some point I too will be the proud owner of some stuff to offer on the "Ugly Carving Central"..

Best of luck to you and go easy on the family.. I don't think they understand

Cheers

View Profile of Tonga King Send a personal message to Tonga King  Email Tonga King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AnDru

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:11 pm   Permalink

well... whateve they are they look pretty incredible.

View Profile of AnDru Send a personal message to AnDru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:28 pm   Permalink

i do plan on leaving copies of BoT, Tiki Quest, and Taboo on the coffee table. couldnt hurt to have some Oceania books (from the library)..

it is sometimes hard to tell the difference

hmmm.. maybe if the wood is nice enough, maybe the carving can be reworked!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-10 10:43 pm   Permalink

My Uncle was over last weekend, when he sat down in my living room and asked why I have a viking ship carving hanging on my wall (Witco 's Kon Tiki)...Doh! I guess you can't edumacate everyone...I give up!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 12:50 am   Permalink

I have one of those wood guys beating on the drum like in that picture. While not tiki, I always thought he was cool enough to sit on a shelf. He kind of reminds me of the people on the Tamboo album cover.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 01:33 am   Permalink

I'm kinda lucky, my brother-in-law spends most of his time shopping on ebay, swap meets & estate sales to buy & sell to supplement his income (usually making almost asm much as I do working a 40 hr week!). He's been in the "vintage biz" for 20+ years and has a good eye for "the deals" (he recently bought a 1930's aloha shirt for $1.00 at an estate sale & said "I can sell this for $1000.00 on ebay). He throws me on to some good stuff sometimes, but if it's something he can turn around for big bucks, I have to get in line with everybody else.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 01:45 am   Permalink

Great thread before Father's Day!
I love that guy that brought me into the world, but for security measures, I simply tell him and the rest of my family, that my tiki bar has no more room (which is true by the way).
I have no more room for any more “Target Tiki Attempts”.
Gotta love my family for the thought though!

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-06-11 12:04 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 02:11 am   Permalink

My dad keeps telling me how when he was a kid HE used to carve totem poles aswell, I've given up trying to explain the difference.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-11 02:34 am   Permalink

i dont want to discourage him ~ we dont have an incredibly close relationship ~ so thriftshop stuff gives us a common ground.

besides, he had to put up with ties and clay handprints for so many fathers' days. (and cripes, he had a blue collar job and rarely wore ties!)

besides..what if he does see something valuable.. and passes it, because he doenst want to be rejected..my tiki room is still pretty bare, so i'll probably have some shelf space. the saving grace, is that he wont spend more than 3-4 bucks for an item.

hmm. i should tell him to be on the lookout for that severed head mug...

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 06:09 am   Permalink

I think it's great that family members want to help you stock your tiki room-be glad your dad is still alive-mine isn't.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 07:52 am   Permalink

Maybe someone needs to have a Ugly contest at one of the events and the winner with the most Ugly piece gets to be the guy to throw the match on the pile made from everyone's entries. Might be nice on a cold night at the beach.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-06-11 15:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 11:21 am   Permalink

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 9:01 pm   Permalink

very true about the gift horse. I personally think fondly (not saying your not) of friends and family who saw an item and thought of me.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation