FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Benzarts Shrunken Head . Help?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Benzarts Shrunken Head . Help?
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 09:34 am   Permalink

In stage makeup they use crape hair which may work for your application. I can send you some if you like as I've got some in my make-up kit.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 09:43 am   Permalink

Thanks Sporkboyofjustice. What IS crape hair? I'm not familiar with it. I'll PM you my address.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 10:03 am   Permalink

More scary is why Sporkboy has a make-up kit. Is there something we need to know here, or.....maybe something we do not want to know.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 10:08 am   Permalink

Benz~
This is the shrunken head that I had available at Oasis. It has crepe hair. As tikitanked pointed out to me, it's more realistic to blend several shades of hair rather than all black. I used some grey and some dark brown. You can either boil or iron it to staighten out the kinks. To get natural looking ends, pull chunks of hair from the large hank rather than cutting them, you won't get blunt ends that way. DO blunt the ends you'll be attaching to the head though. I glued it on in small "plugs" with a contact cement, being very careful not to leave too much residue along the browline. But this head is resin not wood.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 10:20 am   Permalink

Thanks PJ, that does look good. Did you sell a bunch?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 11:29 am   Permalink

Ben,

Horse hair sounds great though it might be a little stiff for your tastes. I guess it depends on the quality. Since you don't need a lot you should check out these website (Musician supplies and Indian supplies):

http://www.horsehair.ca/

http://www.furandhide.com/showcat.asp?id=21

For the mouth I would use linen thread. Send me a Private Message-since you won't need much I can send you several different sizes.

Nice Head!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 11:59 am   Permalink

Thanks Atomic Coctail, the links are great. Didn't know horse hair was so expensive. Another way to sock it to the Poor musicians.

sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 1:28 pm   Permalink

Crepe hair is actually wool. It's used for making beards and mustaches. It can usually be found in theater supply stores or on the internet, about $3 for a yard or so. It's fun stuff to play with. I've got a couple colors so I'll send a little white to you as well so it looks a little more natural.

One of my hobbies is special effects make-up so I've got a big manly tool box that I use for make-up.

A quote from a website says

"Crepe hair is used to create beards, mustaches and side burns. Or whatever you may fancy! Crepe hair is availabe in 12 colors. Crepe hair normally comes tightly braided and on a string.

To prepare the hair for best results, first unravel the braid, dampen the hair and stretch it out a bit. The back of a chair legs make a good frame for stretching it out. Let the hair remain this way for several hours or even overnight. If your time is short, use a steam iron to press the hair. Make sure! That you cover it with a cloth to prevent scorching. (Important right there ive dont that before) "

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice on 2004-06-11 13:39 ]

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 4:37 pm   Permalink

Nice shrinkage benzart or should I say carving? Benzart, your work is fantastic, I love the attention to detail. How can I get one of those? Add me to the list of buyers.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 5:52 pm   Permalink

SporkBoy, Oh boy I can't wait. Thanks for the instructions especially the personalized part.
SwampFire you are now on the list. It may take 3 to 4 weeks as I only do this a few hours a day and I have about 10 carvings to do. ________________

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-11 17:54 ]

sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 1:51 pm   Permalink

OK the hair is in the mail. On the subject of appropriate suture material I am reminded of a thick black thread that I saw at a local upholstery shop. I think it had a slight waxy coating. Anyway it looks like it's called stitching twine from the looks of things on the internet.

Anyway it might be worth a trip to an upholstery supply store to see what they can offer. I would not however like to explain why I spend time in an uphostery supply store or why I have lots of make-up.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 3:34 pm   Permalink

Won't ask so you don't have to tell.
Here's the latest on #31 shrunken Ugly Head.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-12 15:38 ]

tiki queen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-13 4:30 pm   Permalink

Hi guys, mind if I offer Benz a (cheap) suggestion? I've made great 3D Halloween ghosts from styrofoam wig heads, and always use those cheap fright wigs from the Halloween stores. I cut the hair and glue it to the head in tiny clumps, like you're talking about, for better realism. Those wigs usually have a big streak of gray so you can pull a few of those and mix in. Just a suggestion...it's cheap, the hair is fairly strong, and long & straight.
Aloha

View Profile of tiki queen Send a personal message to tiki queen  Email tiki queen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-13 5:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiQueen. I was actually looking for Halloween masks today and the stores kind of looked at me funny like I was wierd or something.Port Saint Lucie is a Podunk little town.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-06-14 05:06 ]

tiki queen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-13 6:12 pm   Permalink

yer welcome...good luck with it. Love your work.

View Profile of tiki queen Send a personal message to tiki queen  Email tiki queen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation