FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Question for carvers...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Question for carvers...
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-14 08:23 am   Permalink

Hello I'm a newbie here, so I hope this isnt a stupid question. I want to try my hand at carving. I was a painter and musician, before becoming a full time chef. So, I dont have as much time for art as I would like! The only carving I have done is ice carving
Anyway there is a huge red cedar log, about 6 ft. long out in the yard. It's been there nearly 5 years,(just been plantin' flowers around it)

Would red cedar be terrible to carve?

Does it splinter too much?

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 09:15 am   Permalink

Have you carved any Tiki Ice Sculpures? That would be something I'd like to see pictures of.

What tools do you use for Ice Sculpures? I'd assume a chainsaw for roughing out large pieces then chisels, gouges & an ice pick for the finer details. These're the same tools used by most of the carvers on this board (less the ice pick, though). You'd just have to add sanding, burning, & staining/varnishing to your skills, and I'd think they're the least important of the needed skills. I think being able to choose a good design, lay it out, rough it out & add details are much more important.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-14 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-14 09:15, freddiefreelance wrote:
Have you carved any Tiki Ice Sculpures? That would be something I'd like to see pictures of.

What tools do you use for Ice Sculpures? I'd assume a chainsaw for roughing out large pieces then chisels, gouges & an ice pick for the finer details. These're the same tools used by most of the carvers on this board (less the ice pick, though). You'd just have to add sanding, burning, & staining/varnishing to your skills, and I'd think they're the least important of the needed skills. I think being able to choose a good design, lay it out, rough it out & add details are much more important.

Never carved any tiki ice, although, I would love to try it. I've carved mostly animals and grecian pillars, birdbaths, etc.

The tools I use are probably not the best.
I use a large macheti type knife for the rough work, smaller knives and a dremel for detail.

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 10:17 am   Permalink

ChefMike
Good luck on moving up to full size tiki wood carving. I just finished my first "tiki" carving attempt on a very small scale. I used poles from a closet, cut them into 8" and 14" pieces and carved little tikis into them with my Dremel. They came out very cool, but it gave me the itch to try the full size thing. My only problem is, I live in a small apartment with no outside area where I can carve. Good luck and be sure to post your creations when you're done!

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Moose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-14 10:34 am   Permalink

Cedar is soft but fairly fibrous and tends to split. Sharp tools should help. If you do get a tiki out of your log it should smell great! Good luck.

View Profile of Blue Moose Send a personal message to Blue Moose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 11:23 am   Permalink

Yup, the key with ceder is sharp implements (well, with any wood for that matter...)

Knives are fine for your first carving, but once you start you'll want to go get some chisels. If you've carved ice and enjoy it, I'm sure you'll get the itch for tiki wood carving too.

check out this recent thread for other tool ideas:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=9406&forum=7&11
The dremel is worth it's weight in gold for detail and small carvings. That's (basically)all you need if you want to practice on some small carvings first. Good luck and get out there and start carving!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-14 11:41 am   Permalink

I think the difference with ice carving is the speed in which you have to carve. The one aspect of ice carving that I dislike.

I tried once to do an elaborate carving in a walk-in freezer. I thought I was gonna die! Plus I had all these ice chips and snow sticking to me.

I think I will prefer wood.

Oh...and thank you all for your quick responses

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 3:25 pm   Permalink

Chefmike, I would dig right into that Cedar log It probably is in great shape as it is very durable wood. I would just use the tools you have and see how they work out. Add more tools if needed and take lots of pictures during the whole thing.
Most of all be careful and have fun.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 3:45 pm   Permalink

Hey guys,
What about redwood?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 5:52 pm   Permalink

Redwood is Great carving wood. Nasty to grind and i little chippy with fine detail so take care and you will enjoy it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 8:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Hey guys,
What about redwood?

Unga - the secret with redwood is VERY sharp tools and it's best just to use chisels/knives etc (chainsaws are fine too for large pieces, but they'll require some sanding to smooth things out. if you just use sharp chisels, there is very little sanding that you need to do). When the tools are sharp, the detail is sharp. When the tools are dull, it flakes like crazy. You'll also know when your tools start to get dull with redwood as the wood will flake sleightly. I actually really enjoy redwood, and you should be able to find it washed up on the beach in your area, no?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hillbilly

Posted: 2004-06-15 5:23 pm   Permalink

cedar is actually really good to carve with hand or power tools. it cleans up real nice also. as far as carving ice, try to stay away from power (i.e. anything that plugs in). but a chainsaw will be your best friend in carving large blocks. think outside the box for tools. wood and cold chisels work good. so do cheese graters(a chef should have plenty of these), files and rasps, axes, etc. and a good handheld propane torch for polishing.

View Profile of hillbilly Send a personal message to hillbilly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-17 7:10 pm   Permalink

Yo Chef,

It's great to see postings from local TC'rs. I'm from Springfield and briefly lived in the Springs.

If I were you, I'd head down to Lowe's and get a 4 pack of Record/Marples wood chisels. They're high quality, very basic, and inexpensive (around $20). These were recomended to me by a very reputable TIKI carver from Modesto California as a good starter set.

btw: I'm just finishing up my first large scale project on which I used the aforementioned chisels. I'm staining and thaining right now!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-18 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-17 19:10, FreakBear wrote:
Yo Chef,

It's great to see postings from local TC'rs. I'm from Springfield and briefly lived in the Springs.

If I were you, I'd head down to Lowe's and get a 4 pack of Record/Marples wood chisels. They're high quality, very basic, and inexpensive (around $20). These were recomended to me by a very reputable TIKI carver from Modesto California as a good starter set.

btw: I'm just finishing up my first large scale project on which I used the aforementioned chisels. I'm staining and thaining right now!

Hey FreakBear,
Wow, didnt know there were any locals here!
We may have even crossed paths before.
I'm taking your advice on the chisels. ...and I'd love to see your work.

BTW...have you ever been to the Dock restaurant in Enon? Theres a few hidden tikis there. Mostly behind plants. Cool misting waterfall to at the bar.
The place really isnt tiki, its kind of a mixed island/lodge/redneck thing. But I still go there for cocktails(they need help) closest thing to tiki around here

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 6:35 pm   Permalink

ChefMike,

I have been to The Dock. I remember seeing one tiki there. I've actually considered taking some finished pieces there to sell though they seem like more of a Margaritaville atmosphere.

I would be happy to show some of my work and pass on any useful tips on carving. Most of my carvings so far have been small unfinished practice pieces. As I mentioned, I've just completed a larger carving and hope to carve a couple more over the summer.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation