FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Hiva Oa, Porto, Portugal (Bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hiva Oa, Porto, Portugal (Bar)
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 03:05 am   Permalink

Name:Hiva Oa
Type:Bar
Street:Av. da Boavista, 2514
City:Porto
State:
Zip:
Phone:22 617 96 63

Description:
Tiki Bar attached to Restauraunt
Cool Retro/Tiki interior
Good range of mugs
Friendly staff

[ This Message was edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-06-15 03:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cheekytiki on 2004-06-15 10:21 ]

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 03:13 am   Permalink

This was areally cool bar to go see, the decor although not overly tiki was good. When we were there it was fairly empty and no one in Porto who we thought might have been in to the scene really knew about it (eg Tattoo, Vintage stores).
I must say the Cocktails although served in cool mugs with dry ice and all the trimmings weren't great so I stuck to beer .
Still worth checking out if youre in that neck or the woods.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:29 pm   Permalink

what about those mugs in the display case? did you find any other tiki in portugal? i looked in lisboa, not much there as far as i could tell (but a great bar scene nonetheless).

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 02:10 am   Permalink

The mugs come from a bar in Spain, I asked if we could buy some, but they unfortunately wouldn't sell.
Didn't find any other tiki stuff, although there was a Bar in Sagres that makes the best Caipirinha's which is worth checkin out.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 10:27 am   Permalink

Nice find!!
I was just extolling the virtues of Lisbon to the wife.....but it looks like a trip to Porto has to be on the cards!

The look is very much like that of the classic Barcelona Tiki bars - did you get any photos of the inside?

Great to see that you're posting on Tiki Central, by the way!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-26 10:14 am   Permalink

Looks nice, Cheeky Tiki! I had no idea there was any tiki in Portugal. I did only Lisbon and its partytown neighbor just north, Caiscais, and it's definitely a great bar scene. (Gorgeous discos and such on the cliffs, with the doors wide open and outdoor patios, overlooking the moonlight on the ocean. Magic.)

But where the heck is Porto?! And why were you there? I'm guessing not en route to make a holy pilgrimage to Fatima...

(Looking forward to meeting you in London and having those killer Mai Tai's - yummy )

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-26 2:58 pm   Permalink

o porto is about midway up the portugese coast. it's the town that port (the alcoholic beverage) is named after.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 11:38 am   Permalink

Here's some pictures my brother took while visiting his sister in law who's living in Porto.
He tried to buy me some mugs or menu but got the same result as cheeky.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kong-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-04 02:32 am   Permalink

After having dragged my own family and our friends trough all of Porto, we found the place closed. A fresh newspaper at the doormat suggested that it was still in operation, but I had no patience left to go on. Some excusing was in order and the kids had to be heavily bribed, but at least I got some pictures of the facade. IŽll be back, better prepared.
This is the front of the marquee.

The tiki at the entrance is playing the maracas.

There are no truths outside the Gates of Eden

More of the decor from the outside.

[ This Message was edited by: Kong-Tiki 2007-07-04 02:39 ]

View Profile of Kong-Tiki Send a personal message to Kong-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 05:51 am   Permalink

Closed Location.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 05:55 am   Permalink

I read somewhere that maracas come from Polynesia. Others say Morocco or Brazil.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-14 11:11 am   Permalink

Business card / mini menu

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 10:50 pm   Permalink

Zeta, do you know if it is closed, but still exists? It was supposedly a real nice one...

I would like to say something about this:

Quote:

On 2007-07-04 02:32, Kong-Tiki wrote:
The tiki at the entrance is playing the maracas.

What this wonderful tile Tiki is holding is actually a Maori war club,
the same type than this famous O.A.-carved giant:

Maori war clubs came in a variety of forms and shapes. Here is another type,
also from O.A., which graced many famous Tiki temples, and is still available at their warehouse:

To help us differentiate the various war club types, here is a handy chart:

Now we can see that our Hiva Oa guardian is holding a KOTIATE, much like this chieftain:

Here is a nice photo and description of a kotiate:

Another type of regalia weapon was the MERE:

This meeting house carving is holding one,

and a carving of this type probably inspired the Hawaiian Inn logo Tiki,

..which at some point had its typical Maori tongue mistakenly connected to the hand weapon

...and thus became known as the paddle sucker. The END

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 11:55 am   Permalink

...and one more thing: Here is the Hawaiian Inn logo Tiki as swizzle stick, with the correct short club in hand.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-13 12:00 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-04-14 22:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
Zeta, do you know if it is closed, but still exists? It was supposedly a real nice one...
[quote]

No longer exists... Nada.

The seafood restaurant next door was doing great so they bought the place... This happened almost two years ago.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation