FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hiva Oa, Porto, Portugal (Bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hiva Oa, Porto, Portugal (Bar)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-14 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-13 00:00, Zeta wrote:
No longer exists... Nada.
The seafood restaurant next door was doing great so they bought the place... This happened almost two years ago.

Arrgh, that hurts....

Well at least we have Jamie in London and Nick in Paris who took some pictures...Sigh.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-18 05:50 am   Permalink

It's actually still operational, open on Fridays and Saturdays from 6PM-2AM.

http://cufra.pt/?page_id=254

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 12:22 pm   Permalink

But open in what form? It seems they do have the classic Spanish mug menu still, but the only photos I can find of the place now look like it has been gutted:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g194856-d1879233-Reviews-Hivaoa_Porto_Cervo-Porto_Cervo_Costa_Smeralda_Province_of_Olbia_Tempio_Sardinia.html

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-18 9:22 pm   Permalink

That is not the same place, Portocervo is in Italy. Anyway, I'll be in Porto next week so I will find out and hopefully take some photos. Stay tuned.

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-18 10:57 pm   Permalink

Ha, who would have thunk: ANOTHER bar in Europe with the name of a Marquesan island!

I just didn't see any pics of a Tiki interior on their (the Porto Hiva Oa) website, and Zeta's post sounded like it was ripped out in the take over. If so, asked the new owners what happened with the stuff. Hope it wasn't though.

By the way, I'll be in Stockholm the weekend after Midsummer (or after), I'm shooting in Sweden

Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-01 07:28 am   Permalink

The bar is definitely still operational, I was there on Friday evening last week. As the photos previously posted in this thread aren't available anymore, I can't tell if the interiors are intact. I tried two cocktails, both served in the typical Spanish mugs with dry ice and long straws. Unfortunately, they were not very good - but what can you expect from a bar where the Mai Tai consists of rum, vodka, gin, "tropical juices" and amer picon... I took some photos which I will post here next week.

bigbrotiki, which dates will you be in Stockholm? It would be nice to meet!

Quote:

On 2013-06-18 22:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha, who would have thunk: ANOTHER bar in Europe with the name of a Marquesan island!

I just didn't see any pics of a Tiki interior on their (the Porto Hiva Oa) website, and Zeta's post sounded like it was ripped out in the take over. If so, asked the new owners what happened with the stuff. Hope it wasn't though.

By the way, I'll be in Stockholm the weekend after Midsummer (or after), I'm shooting in Sweden

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 2:26 pm   Permalink

Magnus, I am going to take the train from Nykoeping (the home base of this movie job) this Saturday the 6th, and am planning to meet Stefan Kehry at some point to have him show me the Tiki Room. But I am open to non-Tiki sights, too!

Re the Hiva Oa:
Classic Spanish Tiki bars look like this:

If it rather looks like this:

It ain't original anymore

Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-10 09:45 am   Permalink

OK, here are my photos from June 28, 2013:

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 10:46 am   Permalink

Wonderful pictures, Magnus! That proves that all the nay-saying was unfounded, the place has remained in its old glory! Very cool, thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-10 10:47 ]

tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-10 1:01 pm   Permalink

Trader Magnus, those are great pictures and it looks like a cool place. Portugal and Spain are on my wish list for travel destinations.
Where are all the people? Did you go early in the day?

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-12 06:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-10 13:01, tikilongbeach wrote:
Trader Magnus, those are great pictures and it looks like a cool place. Portugal and Spain are on my wish list for travel destinations.
Where are all the people? Did you go early in the day?

Thanks, yes I was there when they opened at 6PM because I needed to catch a bus back to the countryside at 8PM. I guess most of the people arrive after dark...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation