[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food My liquor store called me
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
My liquor store called me
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 10:09 pm   Permalink

The man saw my request for a Demerara and called to talk rum. He was a real expert and told me I should try the Plantation rums he had and that he had a Nicaraguan Demerara in stock. He says it's not the countyr, but the processing of the sugar that makes it Demerara. So I shall try it. Good to know I have a buyer on my side!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-16 3:54 pm   Permalink

You're lucky. Usually (always, actually) when I talk to a liquor store manager and try to get a special order, they never get back to me, despite acting like they're going to "get right on it". I now rely on the magic of the internet for those hard-to-find items--specifically Passion Fruit Syrup and Demerara 151.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-17 06:01 am   Permalink

I shop at a place that prides themselves with at least one of everything on the Michigan Liquor Control list (if they don't have it, it's not allowed in MI). The problem is, when I last went in, looking for Demerara actually, the owner didn't seem to recognize the word and there was an empty spot on the shelf where it should have been. He recomended I try Cap'n Morgans instead

BTW, a few months ago I seem to remember seeing a rum sold in a glass float complete with rope at this same store, but I have not seen it since. Was I imagining it? does this sound familiar to anyone?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-17 2:08 pm   Permalink

Our local wine dealer has just bought up a bunch of single estate rums from varous countries, all over a decade old. As each cost about $40 a bottle, I don't know whether to endulge or cry...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-17 9:54 pm   Permalink

I went by today and the rum he said was a Demerara was not labeled as such, so I did not buy. The Plantation rums were all over $40. No. I did notice very long discriptions posted on the rums. More later, when I have a job...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-19 08:04 am   Permalink

The buyer at Beverages and More told me there was no such thing as Demarara Rum. I had a bottle of Nicaraugan rum and it was delicious, not Demarara, but good.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-20 11:46 pm   Permalink

"My liquor store called me"

ya know, if I...had a liquor store, I would also call it "me".

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 12:55 am   Permalink

Hey Swanky, what's the best liquor store in Knoxville? A buddy of mine shocked me this morning by saying he hadn't been able to find Angostura bitters there. (!!!)

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 09:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-20 23:46, lanikai wrote:
"My liquor store called me"

ya know, if I...had a liquor store, I would also call it "me".

If I had a liquor store I'd call it "George."

Swanky, when your liquor store calls, are they on a first name basis or do they call you Mr. Swanky?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 1:02 pm   Permalink

Well, they actually don't sell bitters at the liquor store. They are very strict on what they can sell. No beer. No limes. They are not even allowed to sell the Grog Log!

You get your bitters at the grocery store in the cocktail mixers section.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 1:18 pm   Permalink

veering off topic, but does anyone know why the bitters labels typically are bigger than the bottle itself? know what i mean? it wigs me out.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-24 13:18, Johnny Dollar wrote:
veering off topic, but does anyone know why the bitters labels typically are bigger than the bottle itself? know what i mean? it wigs me out.

Some time ago, a batch of labels were ordered that were too big for the bottles. Although the error was spotted pretty quickly, no one actually did anything about it because everyone thought someone else would do it. Eventually it got to a stage where no one could be bothered because the labels still worked as it was, and customers were still buying Angostura. The oversized label has actually become a design classic and makes Angostura instantly recognisable from other bitters brands, and its great at catching kamikaze drips, too. bedsides, there's something in the bitters that is sensitive to light. Since a bottle of Angostura lasts for a long time, it was considered not too bad of an idea for the label to extend a little up the neck of the bottle to give some shade.

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 14:04 ]

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-24 2:01 pm   Permalink

sorry! ignore

[ This Message was edited by: lanikai on 2004-06-24 14:02 ]

docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 06:33 am   Permalink

I love it! Drink condoms!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 11:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-24 13:02, Swanky wrote:
You get your bitters at the grocery store in the cocktail mixers section.

That's what I told my friend, and he said that's where he'd been checking. What's your local grocery where you can find them?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation