FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What Happened To Cool World's Fairs ?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
What Happened To Cool World's Fairs ?
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 2:13 pm   Permalink

Some Worlds Fairs have really played into the hands of Serial Murderers. Maybe someday Product launches will too...some cannibals will dress up as "The Steve", others as Sting...oh yeah, easy feed

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-26 10:39 am   Permalink

When I used to work in the Pasadena area I would find old crap (bottles, car parts, paper ephemera) in these vacant turn of the century houses. I just found some of my old stash. I have a stack of photo portfolios of the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Some are dated either 1893 or 1894. The statues, art, and archetechture were incredible. here are a few out of the hundreds of photos that TCers might enjoy...

Would love to see inside this exhibit. $80,000 in 1893 money just for this one building.

The carvings of the Northwest Indians have many things in common with Souh Sea art. 100 pages.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 12:03 pm   Permalink

Current World Fair info. http://www.worldsfairs.com/.

The link Jab posted two years ago is still also active http://www.expomuseum.com/future/

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-08 11:57 am   Permalink

Missed Seattle 62 and Vancouver 86? You might get another chance in 2020....
togetherness
(Looks like our talk of an 'International Tiki Event' isn't so far fetched!)

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 11:27 pm   Permalink

Chicago's new Historical museum just opened, and there's a nice section there devoted to the Expositions of 1893 and 1933 (There is also a great temporary exhibit of Dior's New Look with some awesome dresses).

Here are a few interesting things I shot there last week.

First, a ticket, admitting one Felix Van Clief to the South Sea Islands Village and Theatre.

Next, an ad for the same theatre, "In the theatre are given the war songs and dances of the natives". Admission was one thin dime.

Finally, a buch of 'natives' lined up to punch the clock after a long day's work. Reminds me of that old Warner Brothers cartoon with the voyotes and sheepdogs punching the clock:
"Mornin' Ralph".
"Mornin' Fred".

And...

Look at these creepy midway sideshow exhibits!
I want to see them all!

Finally:
This was a model for a building.
I want to live there.
(in the real building, not the model)

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation