FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Jack Lord, gettin' his props!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Jack Lord, gettin' his props!
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 10:09 am   Permalink

HONOLULU (AP) - Six years after his death, ``Hawaii Five-O'' star Jack Lord is being honored with a bronze bust at one of his favorite walking spots.

The 40-pound sculpture, which begins about mid-chest and is supported by a rocklike pedestal, is scheduled to go on display Saturday during a ceremony at Kahala Mall in East Oahu.

``We decided on Kahala Mall because it was the place where you could always see Jack,'' said Doug Mossman, who had recurring roles as Lt. George Kealoha and Frank Kamana on the show. ``He'd stroll through the mall in shorts, aloha shirt and straw hat, smiling.''

Mossman and Esperanza Isaac, a ``Hawaii Five-O'' fan in England, co-chaired the nonprofit Jack Lord Memorial Fund, which raised the $10,000 for the bust sculpted by Hawaii artist Lynn Weiler Liverton.

Lord, whose real name was John Joseph Patrick Ryan, died at 77 in 1998 at his Kahala home from congestive heart failure. He was a dominating and often intimidating figure on the ``Hawaii Five-O'' set as he portrayed no-nonsense detective Steve McGarrett on the series that ran from 1968-80.

Lord is revered in Hawaii and credited with being the first star to require that local actors be given roles because he thought they were needed to capture the flavor of Hawaii. His wife, Marie, still lives in the couple's Kahala residence.

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 10:33 am   Permalink

Good for Jack. Dragnet and Hawaii 5-0 were the only cop shows I ever watched or liked. "Book'em Dan'o".

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 10:37 am   Permalink

That's cool.

I have a Jack Lord Fan Club aloha shirt, it's covered with beautiful wahines in cameo-esque ovals.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 3:38 pm   Permalink

It’s great the sculpture is being put at Kahala Mall when I lived on that island you could see him like clockwork every Saturday morning at the tables in front of Safeway in his wide brimmed straw hat and pink sweater smiling at anyone who acknowledged him. At first is was almost surreal but after a while it became a staple and was more of and elders statesman.
One of my fondest moments as a kid was when they filmed a Hawaii 5-0 episode at my neighbors house and I was able to spend a few hours after school watching them step up for hours to shoot a 5 min scene. It wasn’t on the legend scale it is now and at the time I was more surprised to see men that looked so out of place wearing heavy polyester suits in the Humid climate. If only I still had the autographed picture Jack Lord signed to me with his special pen one of the crew held for him, alas.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-18 3:48 pm   Permalink

Man, He's gone and he's still gettin the woman!
Great photo.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-18 6:22 pm   Permalink

There is a 30s-40s hawaiian Swing band from Fort Collins, Colorado called "Book em, Danno!"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

Just learned Jack Lords was almost fired from 5-O and almost played Captain Kirk on Star Trek.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-11 5:44 pm   Permalink

That's interesting - Jack Lord is shown in one of the costumes from one of the early Star Trek films -- Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock, etc. I'm not sure how that would have come into existence unless Jack Lord eventually attended a Star Trek convention or something like that. (I'm not a Star Trek expert by any means.)

Another thought... If Jack Lord had been cast as "Kirk" in Star Trek, would he then also have come to be cast as the Priceline guy? Inquiring minds, you know...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 6:36 pm   Permalink

He would have also been a great choice for that part.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-12 08:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-11 17:44, AceExplorer wrote:
That's interesting - Jack Lord is shown in one of the costumes from one of the early Star Trek films -- Wrath of Khan, or Search for Spock, etc. I'm not sure how that would have come into existence unless Jack Lord eventually attended a Star Trek convention or something like that. (I'm not a Star Trek expert by any means.)

Another thought... If Jack Lord had been cast as "Kirk" in Star Trek, would he then also have come to be cast as the Priceline guy? Inquiring minds, you know...

I'm thinking a pair of scissors and two publicity photos are the origin of that star trek photo

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 08:50 am   Permalink

"A pair of scissors and two publicity photos." We called that 'Photosnip.'

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-11-12 08:53 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-15 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-11 18:36, lucas vigor wrote:
He would have also been a great choice for that part.

He had that "Federation officers look" so prevalent in the original series.

I recently caught a rerun of The Fugitive where he plays a philandering husband out to murder his crippled wife. While he was good, it was very disheartening to see him as a bad guy.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-17 10:29 am   Permalink

I always appreciated him as Felix Leiter in Dr. No. As always his super cool suave demeanor was a great fit for that character.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2013-11-17 4:24 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-25 01:54 am   Permalink

I bet this article by Jack Lord which includes some of his art work would be an interesting read....
I'll post it once my friend pretty-peaches gets 700 clicks - which will only take you dear reader 5 seconds and a click - which is vastly less time then it took me to scan this.

http://thepinupmag.com/pinupcontest/nggallery/page/4/
she's at the lower right

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation