FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki La Mariana Sailing Club, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
La Mariana Sailing Club, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 10:15 pm   Permalink

I hung out here for the first time with Kit Ebersbach (of Don Tiki), Sherry Shaoling, and a couple of other folks. Here are the pics from my visit. We played a tune - Girl from Ipanema - and had a grand ol' time.

A view of the lounge floor

L to R: Perry Como (Kit Ebersbach), me (PHF of Waitiki), Sherry Shaoling, Desmond

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-21 4:51 pm   Permalink

We made our second trip ever to the Sailing Club last week on our trip to Oahu. Still as fun as ever. Drinks seemed slightly off - my Zombies arrived in a Steinlager pint glass and were not as strong as expected. Otherwise, everything was perfect.

Definite highlight of the evening was the blind piano players taking up a request for "Quiet Village" and dedicating the song to the bird in the cage up near the entrance, then making great bird sqauk noises during the whole song.

Also, our waitress had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about the Kava bowl. I had to use other means to get ahold of the special "blue hawaiian" version of the bowl during the trip.

Went back two nights later, and a completely different blind piano player was behind the keys. Awesome.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiDiego 2007-05-21 18:05 ]

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 10:51 pm   Permalink

Sweet!

I was there several times last week, and I got to meet Annette! She signed my copy of Tiki Roadtrip!

The Mai Tais and Pu pu are still excellent.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-22 2:32 pm   Permalink

And you got a pic of Bombay, Annette's dog too!

We were there in January this year (07)...
Great Mai Tais!!

Walking up the entrance La Mariana's

Steven, the blind piano player

Annette the owner with friend and Bombay her dog

After a few Mai Tais, TikiMookie is incognito

This was our last full night, we went early due to our having to drive way up north by the Polynesian Cultural Center where we stayed nearby. At La Mariana we read the back of the dinner menu, information about the tsunami way back when that demolished the area. As we drove back up north, there was a tsunami warning on the radio! it was soon downgraded to a "tsunami watch" but rather a strange coincidence I think... Hawaii weather in January is unpredictable...

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 10:53 pm   Permalink

I need to go to La Mariana sometime...oh Inky, how about Wednesday evening Sept 3rd, 2008? Sounds zazz!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:16 pm   Permalink

Sounds good, say 6pm????

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 06:50 am   Permalink

What a great place. We went there three times during our week in Oahu. It was really one of the best experiences (and Zombies) on oahu. The SOS show was fun too. Here are some pics of our visit...

La Mariana - Primo Kimo's World in Pictures

[ This Message was edited by: Primo Kimo 2008-08-20 07:00 ]

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-19 10:14 pm   Permalink

Whenever friends visit from the mainland, La Mariana is always the first place I take them. And if it's someone I've taken there before, they want it as their first stop again. I've even taken lots of locals there who weren't aware of it. Amazing.
But I haven't seen any posts here with the latest news. Those of you on Oahu surely know, but the rest of you better sit down for this.
I'm very sad to say that Annette passed away recently.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2008/08/05/news/story14.html
La Mariana is still open, and allegedly there are no plans to close it. But of course there are no guarantees. Go while you still can! And go to support them and help keep it open.

[ This Message was edited by: LikaNui 2008-10-19 22:22 ]

View Profile of LikaNui Send a personal message to LikaNui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 10:26 pm   Permalink

Here's an interesting and odd update for you:

It sounds like the state or county is making La Mariana abide by some outdated rules/laws that they are supposed to be a private sailing club. Don't know the whole story - I'll find out more next time I'm there. We had to rush to get people to the airport. Has something to do with being attached to the marina.

Anyway, I was just there yesterday, and they had signs up saying that La Mariana is a private club and is for members only. No need to worry though, they now offer a "social membership" which is free, you just need to fill out a form when you get there and you get your own little membership card. They also offer a $50 associate and $100 full membership. Both get you 10% off on drinks, and the full adds food and lots of other benefits.

Just a great example of how the state makes it difficult to run a business out here!

So, who out there has their Official La Mariana Membership Card? I do!

One great thing to note. They have hired back their old maintenance guy who had some "disagreements" with Annette, and he is really cleaning up the place. Everything from cleaning the dead bugs out of the float lights, to putting new coats of varnish on the tikis and bamboo railings. The place is looking its best in years.

Aloha!!

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 10:44 pm   Permalink

That's great to hear! I loved that place when I was out there last! It would be great to bring my band of haolies (sp?) out there and play a show at La Mariana!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 10:33 pm   Permalink

I'll agree that La Mariana looks as good as I've ever seen it - I never tire of seeing those old cannibal tiki poles (capture - eat - full belly) from the old Waikiki Kon Tiki - they put modern tiki carving to shame.

In another thread it was noted that La Mariana has new, logo'd tiki mugs made by one of the waitresses. I've pinched the following images from eBay - there's a Boy mug, a Girl mug, and shot glasses. I purchased the Boy Mug - I think it cost $20, as the total for the mug and a Zombie was $30.

The Boy Mug:

The Girl Mug:

Shot Glasses:

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-01 11:38 pm   Permalink

We went to La Mariana again last Thursday night - the place was very busy; all the tables were taken - only a few booths remained open. Very good to see - I didn't expect a big crowd on a Thursday night. The piano player was playing standards and some exotica - he even did the bird calls while playing Quiet Village.

Friends who hadn't been there in a while were impressed - they all said "It looks much cleaner". That's a big deal - the place was getting pretty run down and grubby. Everybody I've sent there recently has had a good experience.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 1:27 pm   Permalink

I'm so excited I'll get to see it next week, can't wait...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-08 10:34 pm   Permalink

There was an odd mention of La Mariana in an AP news story today - the Navy cruiser Port Royale ran aground near the entrance of Pearl Harbor a couple of days ago. Today's update on efforts to free the ship included this paragraph:

The vessel is currently lodged just off Honolulu International Airport, visible to all those flying in and out of Oahu. It's also in clear view of a nearby public beach park and a famous local bar, La Mariana Sailing Club.

The mention is odd because the ship is visible from so many other places.

I wonder if this has anything to do with where reporter has elected to spend much of his time watching the story unfold.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-08 06:35 am   Permalink

i have some friends who are going to HI in two weeks... i want to send them to la mariana... everything still up and running? hours still the same?

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2009-07-08 06:38 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation