FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » La Mariana Sailing Club, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
La Mariana Sailing Club, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-24 2:21 pm   Permalink

August 2009

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 5:28 pm   Permalink

January 2010

La Mariana is a special place that transports you to a time of when tiki was in its prime. Nothing fabricated here. The sunset leads into the glow of the fish floats and string lights illuminate the place and you feel like you are back in the womb. The blind piano players played Quiet Village and made bird calls with big smiles on their faces. It is an escape like no other!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 8:13 pm   Permalink

Looks like you's had the palace to your selves... awesome!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-21 8:01 pm   Permalink

The blind piano player you mentioned is the same guy that used to rule The Tahitian Lanai before it was closed. Auntie Annette brought him and the regular Friday night lounge singers over from TTL after it closed.

View Profile of LikaNui Send a personal message to LikaNui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 08:11 am   Permalink

Anyone know if La Mariana still sells tiki mugs?

A friend says she's going there soon, and she's cool with picking something up for me...but I just wanna know what is available.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-29 08:09 am   Permalink

Here's an article from The Honolulu Advertiser 3/98 that goes into some of the history. Anyone know who is running it now in the post Annette era?

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2011-01-29 08:13 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikaNui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-17 9:23 pm   Permalink

Annette's former assistant is running the place now. Do a search on the Honolulu Star-Advertiser's website and you'll find more info.
I just ate there last week for the first time in about six months (I live on the windward side and rarely go over to the other side). Food was fine and the interior looks exactly the same. No damage from the tsunami a couple of months ago, at least not to the bar and restaurant. The docks in front got torn to shreads!
The service last week was fabulous. Even if it had been six months they remembered me and brought over my favorite drink before I said a word. Gotta love it.

View Profile of LikaNui Send a personal message to LikaNui      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-18 1:05 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

In my humble opinion, not only have the food and drinks been upgraded, but also the decor with some swell pieces from the Hawaiian Hut. Mugs, and last I checked, Salt and Pepper shakers were available. Plenty of shots of the place in Waikiki Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-06-18 13:10 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 10:21 am   Permalink

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/Biting-Commentary/July-2011/Keeping-the-Tiki-Torch-Burning-La-Mariana-Sailing-Club-Sand-Island/

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 10:55 pm   Permalink

Back in Sept. 2001 my wife and I went with my sister on her first trip to Hawaii. We all had a great time but on our next to last night I made sure we took her to La Mariana for dinner and drinks, my wife and I had been there once before. It was terrific, great atmosphere, good food and drinks and the pianist calling people up to sing, all good. But then he said we were in for a special treat , I looked behind him and got chicken skin, "oh my god thats Martin Denny!" . The next few moments were a little odd with the blind pianist helping Denny out of his wheelchair and onto the bench. Then he started playing, incredible music for the next 20-30 minutes, a non stop medley of tunes (the one I remember was Chinatown My Chinatown). I guess thats my most perfect tiki/exotica moment.
aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-21 01:53 am   Permalink

2 great authors, one great bar...

Phillip Roberts (Waikiki Tiki) and Jeff "BeachBum" Berry at La Mariana

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2011-08-21 02:04 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 7:33 pm   Permalink

Here is a set of S & P shakers from the La Mariana. I found them in Michigan of all places, so this place gets around.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 12:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-09-03 19:33, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Here is a set of S & P shakers from the La Mariana. I found them in Michigan of all places, so this place gets around.

It is quite fascinating to see the migration of artifacts out of the islands, and where they turn up.

And, those are a special pair, not being produced anymore.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-10 10:57 pm   Permalink

I didnt know that they were rare, cool. Thanks!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-23 5:56 pm   Permalink

Promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ53mB7h4Zc

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation