[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Plate Lunch Reveiw Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Plate Lunch Reveiw Thread
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-05 10:22 pm   Permalink

Waihole Poi Factory, 48-140 Kamehameha Hwy. (This one needs some directions; first, itís on the Hwy 83 Kamehameha, not the Hwy 99 Kamehameha; also note that as you head north it splits into Hwy 83 (which is then named Kahiliki Hwy) and Hwy 836 (which takes the Kamehameha name), but then these two come back together after awhile and itís Hwy 83/Kamehameha. The Factory is not too far past the junction of the two highways). The place looks really run-down from the outside, but DO NOT BE PUT OFF. This is real Hawaiian food, the kind which the stuff at commercial luaus is only a pale imitation of. I had the tripe, stewed in a tomato sauce just like my Aunt Betty used to make, with absolutely incredible chicken long rice on the side. My husband had the Aloha (?) plate with lau lau, lomi lomi, and chicken long rice; he also chose to have poi (you can have rice instead) which I admit was better than the poi you get at luaus, but was still poi (he liked it; some Hawaiians there mistook us for locals, me because I looked local, him because he was eating the poi). The meals also came with little hunks of steamed taro and breadfruit and with two squares of haupia, one traditional coconut, one chocolate. The coconut was the best haupia Iíd ever had until I tasted the chocolate, which was even better! They sell boxes of haupia for $5, you should strongly consider bringing along a cooler and buying some to go.

By the way, seating at the Poi Factory is on picnic tables outside, and the place is only open from 10 to 2. But you just canít get more local than this. Again, donít pass this up when you go to the windward or north shores.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-06 2:20 pm   Permalink

Ooh, I've been falling down on the job on my own thread!

Name: Tiki Hut Island Grille and Sushi
Type: Restaurant
Street: 9450 Scranton Rd. #114D
City: San Diego (Sorrento Valley)
state: Ca.
Zip: 92121
Phone: 858.646.0914 Fax 858.646.0915

Description: Mall Food Court level Plate Lunch, it's OK if every place else in the area is closed. All you see is the little counter counter out front with a little bit of SoCal surfer decor. The food's only passable, everything's a little greasier, a little less fresh, a little less attention to presentation than the other local places. As example: the Spam Musubi comes in a Big Mac-type syrofoam sandwich holder like many of the others, but it's an unformed scoop of rice with a piece of plain fried Spam pushed down in it and a strip of Yaki Nori draped over the top.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-24 14:12, lanikai wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-06-24 13:32, freddiefreelance wrote:
Name: L&L's Hawaiian BBQ
Street: Lots of'em, http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/hawaiian_bbq_loc.html
City: Lots, see list above
State: Az, Ca, Nv, Ut, Wa

its a prop and mainstay round here. real kama'aina business. we all grew up on da plate lunches and have em almost every day;
teriyaki chicken and beef, mac salad, two scoops rice.
ono grinds, broke da mout!

My favorite is the garlic shrimp, just like the North Shore.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-08 11:09 am   Permalink

Kilohana Grill
1061 Market Pl
San Ramon, CA
(925) 830-1144

San "Remote" is 30 mins east of Oakland, nestled between the 580/680 interchange and Walnut Creek.

Kilohana Grill has no liquor license, and is largely take-out - they took over a Subway I think so the seating area is small. They sell some Hawaiian tchotkies (sp?)
They only serve the Kalua Pig and lomi lomi on Fri and Sat nights; everything else all nights. It's most excellent but unfortunately not so good for the waistline...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
princessP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 5:08 pm   Permalink

Hawaiian walk in restaurant
402 404 15th st
oakland, ca 94612
510-839-9391
hours m-f 10:30 til 9 pm
sat 11 am - 9 pm
sunday 11 am- 7pm

no frills restaurant
no liquior license
few tables
mostly takeout

good , filling,cheap plate lunch
prices as of 9-13-04

sea food combo is $6.25
mahi mahi,fried shrimp choice of , teri chicken,teri beef,teri short ribs
2 scoops rice 1 scoop mac salad

teriyaki mixed plate $5.55
teri short ribs, teri chickem, teri steak

bento $5.25
mahimahi, teri steak, teri chicken and ham

pork lau lau $4.99
1 scoop rice 1 scoop mac salad

loco moco
hambuger steak and eggs with gravy $4.75
2 scoops rice 1 scoop mac

mahalo chicken combo $6.99
teri chicken,lemon chicken,chicken katsu
1 scoop rice , 1 scoop mac salad

aloha dinner combo $9.99
bbq chicken, mahi mahi, teri steak
saimin soup, kim chee, 2 scoops rice 1 scoop mac salad

I get the mahalo chicken combo I eat for 2 or 3 days.

View Profile of princessP Send a personal message to princessP  Email princessP Goto the website of princessP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-04 5:29 pm   Permalink

Went up to L&L Hawaiian BBQ last nite for plate lunch pick-up. We had the seafood combo & BBQ mix. Almos broke da mouth it was soooo good. My L&L is about three miles from me at Campus Plaza near SDSU here in San Diego. I plan on making this a weekly thing. If you don't have an L&L close to your hut, check out the web site and open your own franchise.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-28 11:12 am   Permalink

Portland, OR:
Ohana Hawaiian Cafe
6320 NE Sandy Blvd.
http://www.ohanahawaiiancafe.com/

Wife and I checked it out last night after this newspaper review:
http://portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=33149

We both had kalua pig with lomi-lomi salmon. Mmmmmm,mmmm! Bellies were full after that, so didn't have room for some genuine shave ice. No alcoholic drinks, but plenty of island-style fruit sodas.

Friendly staff, quick service. Bright interior with some stunning photography on the walls (for sale, if you've got several hundred bucks to drop).

The Portland area's blessed with several great Hawaiian restaurants like Noho's and Bamboo Grove, and it's a pleasure to add this one to the list. Highly recommended!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 10:23 pm   Permalink

Name: Big Kahuna's
Street: 3780 Ingrahm St
City: San Diego (PB)
Zip: 92109
Phone: (858) 270-9200
http://www.bigkahunaspacificbeach.com/Default.aspx

Description: More Florida Tiki than Poly-Pop, kind of a Surfer Pizza Joint/Sports Bar vibe, with reed matting on the walls & palapa thatch above the bar, half a dozen TVs around the place (mostly big screen), and Party City Tikis all over. But at least it doesn't have a white ceiling.

The Plate Lunches aren't all that great, with a bland Mac salad, under-flavored Kaluha Pig, fishy Mahi & tough Beef Teriyaki. But the Mixed Plate is not why you come here, you come for Pizzas like the Kanaka, with its Kaluha Pig kicked up with a sweet BBQ sauce & Green Onions, or the Sumo Special which is covered in Pepperoni, Ham, Italian Sausage, Kaluha Pig, Linguisa, Bacon, Onions, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, & Ripe Black Olives. Or you come for the Kahuna's Balls, a dozen Garlic & Cheese topped Pizza Dough Balls. Or the Big Kahuna's Burger, a 1/2 pound burger in a hollowed out fresh baked loaf of Hawaiian Bread and topped with Jack & Cheddar Cheese, Tomatoes, Red Onions & shredded Cabbage.

They also have Breakfast and week-nightly Beer & All-You-Can-Eat specials, check the website for more info.

Name: Maui Maui Hawaiian BBQ
Street: 7420 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
City: San Diego (Clairmont Mesa)
Zip: 92111
Phone: (858) 279-6284

Description: An L&L knock-off, with nearly the exact menu as all the Mainland L&L's but slightly smaller. The dining room in painted in nice bright colors with some nice prints & Indonesian Masks & Tikis on the walls. The food wasn't quite up to L&L standards, with some grease & gristle in the beef I had, but at least the Mac salad had some good flavor & enough mayo to not be dry.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-08 4:08 pm   Permalink

My local favorite

Name: Ohana Hawaiian BBQ
Street: Various
http://www.ohanabbqcorp.com/main.html

A good selection of Hawaiian favs. I always get the BBQ beef plate lunch, with the requisite scoop of mac salad and two scoops of rice. Don't forget Spam, fried egg, as well as a version of fish tacos(!).

The one I go to is in a strip mall, and the interior is painted a strong orange with yellow trim. There are some paintings on the wall depicting tikis and Hawaiian scenes. I go there so often, the guy who runs the place rings up my order before I even walk up to the counter. Now that is service!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-03 5:20 pm   Permalink

Heres the history of Hawaii told through plate lunches.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/07/book-trailer-hawaii_n_832491.html?ir=Food

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation