[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wanting ideas for a tiki bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Wanting ideas for a tiki bar
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 2:28 pm   Permalink

So I was taking my daughter to band camp this morning,and passed a house that the folks had just moved out.There,by the curb,was a bar!I couldn't get it into my car,so I called my husband,and bless his heart,went and picked it up.It was sitting in the driveway when my daughter and I got home.So much for background-I'd love some ideas for tikifying this bar.I figured maybe the bar rail would be cool in bamboo,but other than that,I'm open to any and all suggestions by the lovely folks of Tiki Central!Looks to be a fun summer project.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 2:35 pm   Permalink

"this one time... at band camp... I found a tikibar..."

Could you post a pic so we know exactly what to visualize?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 2:36 pm   Permalink

How serendipitous is that? I'll have my fella take some shots and put it on-I'm illerate when it comes to loading photos and stuff.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 1:13 pm   Permalink

one thought...i picked up a simple white
bar at a liquidator store..and tiki-fied
it in this fashion.
1. made two simple tiki masks out of
pine board...sorta like bosko masks..and
glued them to the front of the bar
2. used green stone-texture to cover the
whole base of the bar (comes in spray can
at wall-mart..etc)
3. used a spray can leather texture to
cover the top of the bar and the padded
arm rest
works well and looks good...pretty inexpensive
too. good luck

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 4:40 pm   Permalink

For what it's worth, here's mine in progress,

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 5:19 pm   Permalink

Super ideas,everyone!Please keep them coming-we'll post some pics asap.

mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 10:47 am   Permalink

Raffertiki,
How do you get the stain so dark on the bambo trim? I've tried and tried, but my bamboo won't take stain easily at all, and I sand it. That is a beautiful dark color!

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 11:38 am   Permalink

Maybe it's not stained? If you add a little oil based pigment to a shellac or varnish, or use a pigmented varnish, you can get something like that. I'm not certain if you need to sand the bamboo first to make the varnish stick.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 11:44 am   Permalink

A technique I used with good success is to sand the bamboo, wipe on a dark OIL based stain and let it dry (only wipe it on once. If you go back to wipe it again, you wipe off the first layer). It never fully dries (sort of sticky) so I cure it with a spray lacquer. The spray lacquer dries within a few minutes and seals the coat under it. That is the technique I used to make the dark bamboo frame for Tiki-Bot (you can see it at the bottom of my frames thread for reference)

There may be other ways, the varnish stain mixture sounds interesting, I will try that sometime.

Monkeyman

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-29 11:50 am   Permalink

i've finished some bamboo with a mixture of Minwax Polyshade cut 4-to-1 with Lacquer thinner, applied with a foam brush.

its shiney ~ and nicely colored.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 12:23 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:51 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 12:43 pm   Permalink

TNTiki, that's a Tiki Farm bar, but I don't remember if it's a Bosko mask, or if it's just Bosko influenced. It does look alot like Bosko's "Haku" mask, but I don't know where they came from. Is Holden around?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 1:21 pm   Permalink

not my auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47103&item=5505043439&rd=1

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 1:24 pm   Permalink

The bar is by Krypton, but don't know if they have anything to do with the farm. Bosko used to make the masks for Krypton, then they "borrowed" the design from him and had someone else make it. Looks Bosko to me.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 2:29 pm   Permalink

Here's one I built recently:

...not really complicated, but very solid and functional.

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation