FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Tabu Tiki Night: CHICAGO
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tabu Tiki Night: CHICAGO
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 11:32 am   Permalink

A quick search of TC uncovers a host of things named "TABU", from a 1930s film ("Tabu: A Story of the South Seas"), to a vast number of recordings, to the title of the upcoming sequel to "Taboo: the Art Of Tiki" book from Outre ("Tabu Tu").

And what about the "Tabu Tiki Room" that just opened in Berlin (The one TikiDiablo did all the carvings for)?

And then of course there's this:

I dunno what the big deal is - it seems like a common spelling to me!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 11:38 am   Permalink

I just got thirsty for some reason!

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-13 11:45 am   Permalink

All right guys, let's not make this thread an argument about posts and bandwidth.

We all know that BambooLodge (aka AtomicTiki aka Tikimonger) likes to jump in and stir things up from time to time; just ignore him when he gets cranky!

Now...

Sorry to have used the name of someone's home bar. I haven't actually spoken to that person much in the past few years, and I didn't remember that their home bar was using the name.

Face it - there are only so many good names to use for events, and it had a good ring to it!

Trader Vic's management also had a lot to do with the naming of the event. After the call was made not to use Tiki Torch Nights to tie in with Tikikiliki's Atlanta event, I made a short list of things that sounded good, and Trader Vic's management picked Tabu Tiki nights. Remember that we had to use something sort of catchy and obvious to get people aside from the hardcore Tikiphiles to the event.

And, I actually made a descision NOT to use "Aku-anything" as the name. Although I am hosting the event and providing some tunes, this event is NOT about 'me, me, me'. It is about getting the midwest Tiki community together and having some fun. Since my own home bar is called Aku Hall, and since I am working on a book about Easter Island, I didn't want to name the event in a way that tied in too closely with myself. I am specifically trying to make this event for and about everyone.

Now on to more fun stuff:

Gwen from Barefoot Hawaiian is going to be at the event making Leis.

Dave/Lakesurfer is also ging to try to come down with some of his Tiki carvings.

Now, can we get Duke to bring some of his awesome black velvet tiki paintings down (look for his more serious work it Aaron Packer gallery in Chicago next month)?

I'll even give him credit for subliminally implanting the event name in my head 4 years ago!

Okay, hope this post cleared up some confusion.

I'm going to meet with AJ at Trader Vics this afternoon to hammer out the final details for the first event, next Wednesday, July 21.

AJ, by the way, is the brand-new general manager of Trader Vic's Chicago. He is a really nice guy, and he has specifically told me that he is aware of the fact that Trader Vic's has always given the "Aloha shirt crowd" the cold shoulder (in Chicago at least), and that he wants to change that.

It made me really happy to learn that he is prepared to go out of his way to change the reputation that Trader Vic's Chicago has always had for being less than friendly to the Tiki community.

Tabu Tiki Nights are the first steps towards making us feel welcome at Vic's. So, BambooLodge (et al), no matter how you feel about me and the name of our event, I hope you'll come down and hoist a Zombie with us!

See you all there!

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lissette EsQui
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-18 09:49 am   Permalink

I never knew there was a Trader Vic's in Chicago. Glad I joined this place! EsQui and I will definetely try to be there Aug 18th and hopefully I can round up some friends for that Wednesday. Sounds like a lotta fun and thanks for starting a cool event JT!

View Profile of Lissette EsQui Send a personal message to Lissette EsQui  Goto the website of Lissette EsQui     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Really kids, to try to claim the rights to the term "Tabu Tiki" is silly, that combination is as common in Polynesian Pop as "Mai Tai". The fact is that nowadays to have commercial appeal and easy recognition value (and we want Trader Vic's Chicago to be commercially successful, don't we?) the term "Tiki" has to be in there, and good combinations with it are not that easy to come by. The better the name, the more mana it has to draw people in.
Go get'em, James!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-13 07:58, boutiki wrote:
Yeah JT, that name is a little familiar. I mean, even the spelling.

Here is anothe exampleof the usage of that great name, Tabu Tiki
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10062&forum=1&1
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

I hope you guys don't think that we believe we are trying to claim the rights to, or trademark, the name Tabu Tiki. We were just pointing out that the name JT chose was the same as the name of our home bar, something that we assume he knew since he has been in our little homemade paradise on several occasions. I was disappointed when I read that since our home bar is our tiny escape from the noise, cold, and grey that life in Chicago can often be, and as such is very special to us (even it the name is not so special). I pointed that out myself when I wrote this:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7354&forum=1&vpost=73328
Like I said in that post, we were given a sign that says "Tabu Tiki" as a wedding gift and if that name is going to now be associated with a successful event at Trader Vic's, then, well, it's going to change how I feel about having that name glowing in our home. Not saying anything bad about any event or Trader Vic's, it just makes it a little less special for me. When we picked that name we intentionally picked something that had not been the name of a former Tiki Bar (to my knowledge anyway) and the beer and the German bar did not exist. There is also a difference between a beer, a bar on another continent, and an event right downtown. I mean, I assume that we will now be seeing the Tabu Tiki name advertising the event all over town. I imagine that Otto would be bummed if a big media outlet appropriated the name Tiki News. I mean, they are both pretty common words but I'm sure the name is very special to Otto.

I'd rather not continue to debate this or have people poke fun at me. We just try to respect others while we are doing our thing and we try to have fun and be easy-going. It's not like we are doing a Donald Trump and trademarking "You're fired!". I was just pointing out that the name chosen for the TV event was what we were using for our home bar, certainly not trying to suggest that we are so incredibly creative, or unique, or we have any proprietary right to a name. Sorry if I'm being silly for feeling the way I do.

Now please on to the festivities. James, how did the first night go? Unfortunately, we don't even have the opportunity to enjoy a Tabu Tiki night at Trader Vic's right now; our little guy has us quite occupied in the evenings.

-Amy

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 10:20 pm   Permalink

I was using my parent's camera, which I was unfamilier with, so forgive the crappy pictures...
But here are a few of the event... I had a lot of fun and look forward to the next...
Thanks to all who came and thanks for the compliments on my work!
I'll have more tikis next month... bring some $

James setting the mood with music...

A few of my works...

Our lovely hula dancer...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-07-22 22:21 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 11:00 pm   Permalink

Great job JT and glad you were able to make it there Lake, please tell me you sold something to someone down there so the people of Wisconsin can be ashamed. I am going to find some way down for the next night. Boutiki you and Duke need to find a sitter so I can buy you for being so kind to sponsor my event. JT got the books THANKS MAN the cd rocks!

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 11:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-22 23:00, Tiki-Toa wrote:
glad you were able to make it there Lake, please tell me you sold something to someone down there so the people of Wisconsin can be ashamed.

Yes... The people of Wisconsin should be ashamed... Chicagoans have Zazz...

Wisconsinites have a chance to redeem themselves in a few weeks...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-07-22 23:53 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 10:35 am   Permalink

LakeSurfer, thanks for posting some pix.

Folks, that big leopard skin-covered blob in front of me (in LakeSurfers pic) is my sound equipment, with an eye-pleasing leopard tarp thrown over it for exotic camoflage.

LakeSurfer was too modest to mention in his own post that he DID sell one of his lamps, breaking his no-sell streak. Good deal!

Trader Vics' management (and me) were thrilled with the turnout. Considering it was a weeknight, and the first go at this event, we still got a great crowd.

The exclusive-to-this-event Singapore Symphony drink (in a pineapple shell) was a hit, the kitchen kept the free pupus full until 10, the hula dancer was talented and charming, and the free Shag items from Surrey Books that we gave away were greeted with enthusiasm (of course) as well.

The second Tabu Tiki Nigts will be August 18... of course there will be a reminder here a week or so before the event.

We are still looking for live music for the future events, and also any Tiki carvers or artists that want to display their work are welcome to contact me.

Mahalo and maururu again to everyone who showed up, and we hope to see even more of you next month...

AnD Tiki Toa: I'm still working to arrange my schedule so I can make it north for the big Oshkosh event. It's a Tiki, Tiki, Tiki summer!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 10:35, tikibars wrote:
AnD Tiki Toa: I'm still working to arrange my schedule so I can make it north for the big Oshkosh event. It's a Tiki, Tiki, Tiki summer!

Mahalo JT hope you can work it out and I am going to do my best to be down there for the next one to support you.

Toa

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 5:41 pm   Permalink

I'll be in Chicago in August, but not in time for one the events. I would like to check out the Chicago Trader Vics though! Where is it?

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 6:41 pm   Permalink

Boutiki, hopefully the name of the Trader Vics event won't continue bugging you. Maybe you'll get used to it or maybe you can turn your sour (my words) feelings into "happy" ones. Sorry if this seems a little simplistic or naive, but my philosophy of trying to turn bad into good has done me (overall) okay so far.
As a kid I used to look at the shadows on the ceiling in my bedroom that were created by passing cars and I thought they were monsters and I found that very scary. At some point I made those monsters into my friends and I was never scared of the dark again. Turn it around into a positive if you can-good luck!--bruce "not really a hippy" smiley
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 9:49 pm   Permalink

I am glad that the management of the Chicago TV's had decided to welcome the tiki crowd. Even better, they were pleased with the turnout. If only the management at the Beverly Hills Vic's would adopt a similar attitude. I hope they wouldn't pick Wednesdays as that is L.A.'s Tiki Tik night!

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation