FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My first show
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
My first show
Saint-Thomas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-28 08:01 am   Permalink

also, the harder it is to get into a show (ie. more hoops to jump through) the better you will probably do. Juried shows that are well established tend to draw a better crowd.

And you will be able to tell good shows from bad after a while. I walked out of a two day show after only two hours once. I just knew it was going to be bad when the booth across from me was selling used clothing and kitchenware....!

View Profile of Saint-Thomas Send a personal message to Saint-Thomas  Email Saint-Thomas Goto the website of Saint-Thomas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 12:26 pm   Permalink

LS,
There is no reason why your art would not sell. Your tikis rock!
Do you have a website?
I am in the market to buy one. When are you coming down to California?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-06-28 1:24 pm   Permalink

its not you..its them..
pity their tikiless existance.
you tried to help..they passed you by.

your work is outstanding, and unappreciated by that particular crowd.

look for other outlets to sell your beautiful carvings..something will click, and you're on your way as a not-quite-so-starving artist!

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 4:07 pm   Permalink

It's like advertising. How many times do you need to see a commercial before it sinks in. It may take some people a few viewings of your work before they realize they need one. The above advice is good. Keep at it. Being Wisconsin's only tiki artist is sure to pay off.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 5:26 pm   Permalink

What part of Wisco are you from? We're really surprised that your great carvings didn't go over well-from what we've seen,Wisconsin is one of the lawn ornament capitols of the world-but apparently only if they're those shiny garden globes or fiberglass deer-they're really missing out!!!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 6:08 pm   Permalink

Don't sweat it, Lake. That's nothing. Your stuff speaks for itself. You will do very well at Hukilau. There is a huge difference between the "great unwashed" at a trade fair and the good Tiki Ohana (of which you and your wife are esteemed members) that you will find at a Tiki event. I've always dug your stuff..and you're one of the original cowboys on this site. That counts for something..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha-Brah

Posted: 2004-06-28 7:28 pm   Permalink

hey man, I want to buy one! email me.. empi53@comcast.net

Tiki rocks, even in Washington state!

View Profile of Aloha-Brah Send a personal message to Aloha-Brah  Email Aloha-Brah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 10:06 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Ohana for your words of encouragement. Much appreciated. I am almost fully recovered and looking forward to getting to some new projects for myself, one being a five foot tiki fountain. Another being two 8 foot poles fully carved for the doorway of my tiki room. I'll rise again to market some tikis but now it is about making myself happy with my work.

Still batting around the trip to Huki... I may make it alone, the wife has already said I should go even if she doesn't. I gotta see how much money I can raise to get me there...

Mahalo again for the kind words...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-06-28 22:10 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PEDDRO
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-28 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
drew between 20,000 and 40,000

.........and yet all imbeciles apparently!!

I've shared swap & show sites with a tiki carver before and it's frustrating to watch as so many "love these things" but never shell out for them.

Have you got flyers and business cards done?

View Profile of PEDDRO Send a personal message to PEDDRO  Goto the website of PEDDRO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gavtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-06-29 12:14 am   Permalink

Dont be discouraged man,a lot of carvers have been their,i have as well.Just think of the positives at least you guys can access a tiki event, no such luck here in O.Z. If i had a dollar for every one who "wanted" one of my tikis i think i'd be as well off as "Donald Trump".One of the best things to come from my carving is i've made some great friends, in the end their worth more anyway.(although a couple of bucks in the pocket dont hurt!!)But when some one really wants your art and is willing to pay to own it and appreciates how much you put into it.You quickly forget the frustrating times.And go back to carving with more enthusiasm and a sense of purpose. gotta go my chisels are a" callin"

View Profile of gavtiki Send a personal message to gavtiki  Email gavtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 03:01 am   Permalink

To join the bandwagon, from what I can see, your stuff is great. I wish I could buy one or ten right now, but we're scraping pennies together to try and kill some debts, and dreaming of buying a house in the crazed socal market. C'mon real estate bust!!!!!!!!!!
Keep slogging, your work is great!
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 10:52 am   Permalink

Keep your chin(tiki) up. you have to have a bad show inorder to have a sell-out show.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 12:45 pm   Permalink

Hang in there Lake your tikis are are awesome. Keep showing them off and you will gather momentum. Everybody needs a tiki, some peolple just dont know it yet. You may find a different style of tiki may sell better in your parts. Something like this maybe....

Keep carvin'
Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2004-06-29 12:45 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 1:35 pm   Permalink

Look at it this way also. The more you don't sell up there, The MORE We have to buy at HukiLau. pack'um up and Come on Down to where your audience Loves ya' Man.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-29 11:51 pm   Permalink

You guys rule....

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation