[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My first show
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
My first show
tiki410
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-01 07:17 am   Permalink

We attend a lot of festivals music and art down in Louisiana and I have only seen one tiki at one festival and that is it. To me having a booth with just tikis would be considered a major find and I doubt if I would have gotten any further, especially if you were doing a carving demonstration like the picture indicated. You probably would have had to chase me off.

View Profile of tiki410 Send a personal message to tiki410  Email tiki410     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
motiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-04 7:17 pm   Permalink

Lake your carvings are cool. Seems like your crowd didn't even know about Tikis. Maybe a copy of The Book of Tiki displayed with your carvings might spark some interest. Hope you do better at your next show.

View Profile of motiki Send a personal message to motiki  Goto the website of motiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brian p

Posted: 2005-01-22 08:02 am   Permalink

get in touch with price list.

i know some folk who'd be interested if shipping costs aren't too horrendous and when i clear a few debts very soon i might also be.

your stuff is good.

the crowd just wasn't the right crowd for your stuff

View Profile of brian p Send a personal message to brian p      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 7:27 pm   Permalink

I wish I had seen this post earlier! I had the very same experience that you did around the same time period. I made some decision after that about my art (ceramics).

1)I don't have to sell at these "garage sales" posing as festivals. (somebody mentioned funnel cake buyers...that's just what I experienced.)
2)If somebody really wants art, they will pay for art.
3)I was trying to sell to the wrong market.
4)All of the advice and offers to buy your stuff just proves what I have come to believe...TC people are wonderful support for artists!

Your work is wonderful! I hope things got better for you and that your stuff is selling like wildfire now.

To the others who replied, I, too, will benefit from your responses, as they apply to me, as well. I'm trying to fit Tiki Oasis into my calendar in May, so hopefully I will see you there. We could trade notes.

Hang in there. Keep carving!

-Kimberly

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-01 07:17, tiki410 wrote:
We attend a lot of festivals music and art down in Louisiana and I have only seen one tiki at one festival and that is it. To me having a booth with just tikis would be considered a major find and I doubt if I would have gotten any further, especially if you were doing a carving demonstration like the picture indicated. You probably would have had to chase me off.

I gotta go where you're going!

View Profile of beachin Send a personal message to beachin  Email beachin Goto the website of beachin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-27 21:57, Lake Surfer wrote:
Really too bad that 99.5% of Wisconsites haven't got a clue what the value of handmade art is, let alone the art form of the South Seas. I had reasonable prices for my work, and many here on TC who have seen it have commented on the craftsmanship as being good. Not a single piece sold out of the 40 that I brought with me to a street festival and a fine art fair (I use that term loosely now that I have seen what was considered "fine art" there) that drew between 20,000 and 40,000 over 2 beautiful summer days.

Discovered this thread by accident, mate you've come a long way

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation