FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 5:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-12 14:34, new2tiki wrote:
Kono:

Where do you get the TV Orgeat in Orlando? Or do you order it online?

Mahalo.

Scott

I get it online. I think it came out to about $9 a bottle with shipping. Florida's quite lacking when it comes to exotic booze and exotic booze accessories.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-30 10:00 pm   Permalink

Moderators can't moderate what I take out.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 15:57 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 12:19 am   Permalink

we finally got a bev mo here in the almond capitol of the world. i finally have access to some of the good stuff! the cruzan single barrel is very very good(highly recommend), and i have also sampled the run of the mill cruzan and it ain't bad. i have yet to try the black strap but it is on the list!!!!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-31 12:25 am   Permalink

After striking out at Beverage Warehouse and Vendome, I finally picked up some Black Strap at Trader Joe's--$8.99! That's practically free! Now I just need to track down that damned key lime juice....

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 08:32 am   Permalink

I was a bit leary at first, but now that I've been using Cruzan for a while now it has become one of my favorites. I really like using their flavored rums in mixers. You can't beat the price either.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

Scott,
Try "World Market". They carry Torani brand syrups, including Orgeat, at the stores here.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2004/08/16/story3.html

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 11:49 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-09-16 10:37, JTD wrote:
Quote:

Scott,
Try "World Market". They carry Torani brand syrups, including Orgeat, at the stores here.

JTD

I use the Torani brand of Orgeat and Passion Fruit syrup. both are very good IMHO.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-03 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-16 10:37, JTD wrote:
Quote:

Scott,

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2004/08/16/story3.html

JTD

I went there today and they did indeed have Torani orgeat syrup but no passion fruit syrup. Neat little store. The orgeat syrup was 5.99 for a 750ml. Thanks for the tip JTD.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-05 07:28 am   Permalink

Is there an online place to buy passion fruit, and other tropical syrups? I can't find any here in Milwaukee.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-10-05 08:11 am   Permalink

Here's a good one for passion fruit syrup (and other syrups):
go to
http://www.tradervics.com and look under products / drink syrups

Not that this has anything to do with passion fruit syrup, but they happen to sell their Mai Tai glasses too.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-10-05 08:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-10-05 08:15 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-21 08:21 am   Permalink

I just recieved a bottle of Black Strap as a gift and I love it. The taste is a bit strong at first, but I really dig the rich caramel yumminess of it. I can't wait to try it in a mixer. Does anyone know if there is color added to Cruzan rums? I know Myers adds die to make it dark, so I was wondering if Black Strap added die to make it so dark.

Also, does anyone have an opinion of Bacardi 8? I like it very much and would like to get a hold of a bottle of Bacardi 12 to see what that's like.

Deery Luau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-21 10:33 am   Permalink

CA folks,

Your Trader Joe's sells booze?!

Man, Maryland has GOT to get with it!

View Profile of Deery Luau Send a personal message to Deery Luau  Email Deery Luau     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-21 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-21 10:33, Deery Luau wrote:
CA folks,

Your Trader Joe's sells booze?!

Man, Maryland has GOT to get with it!

hey deery,

we were talking to the clerk at beltway liquors last weekend. despite rumours, his inside info suggests that when it comes to liquor sales, maryland will NEVER get with it. our best bet is to go to d.c. or noVA...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-30 08:47 am   Permalink

As anyone tried the Cruzan Clipper 120 proof? I saw it yesterday at a liquor store that's new to me. I wonder what it might be useful for other than those evenings when the 80 proof just don't have enough kick but the 151 is gonna make it too tough to get to church the next morning.

For Orlando area TCers, Aloma Liquors on Aloma Ave by the Publix is worth checking out. The liquor selection in Florida sucks but this owner has a better than average selection of rum and liqueurs.

I finally picked up a bottle of Cruzan single barrel. Has to be the smoothest 80 proof rum I've ever had the pleasure to taste. Yum.

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-05 5:57 pm   Permalink

I was first introduced to Cruzan rum on St. John a number of years ago and have been a huge fan ever since. They make the finest mixable light rum in the world as far as I am concerned.

When Berry wrote in Intoxica that he recommended using VI rums in place of Puerto Rican brands I felt vindicated having bastardized his Grog Log drinks with Cruzan already.

For those that enjoy the Black Strap, I cannot recommend enough that you try a good ol ti' punch with it. The molasses flavor really comes through when cut with water.

I have been making them with homemade blond Hawaiian sugar syrup, and because of the rums inherent sweetness, you can really cut back on the gomme. This rum was just made for water, lime and bitters.

You might also try a sort of reverse cuba libre I've been mixing on hot days. Rather than using a light colored rum with dark coca cola and lime, try the Black Strap with 7-Up and lemon in the same proportions as your usual cuba libre. The taste is similar, but a little fresher almost. Crisper.

I've sampled every flavor and or variety of Cruzan on the market, and tend to bring back bottles from St. J since it's such a steal there ($3-5 a fifth). They are all good, though the Junkanu (now called citrus) is a tad bitter in the aftertaste and the 120 isn't terribly more useful than the 151.

The standard Cruzan dark is acceptable. Mount Gay is a comparable rum to it.

They really shine in their coconut rum, mango rum, light rum, single barrel, and black strap.

Cheers!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation