FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-05 6:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Ahu, for all the great ideas. Seeing the local price of Cruzan makes me ill. In my pre-tiki awareness days, I made a few trips around the Caribbean on cruises several times (years ago), and always saw people stocking up on rum to bring back home. Now I know why!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-05 6:24 pm   Permalink

Ditto the thanks. I haven't tried any of the flavored Cruzans yet. I will have to. Cheap as Cruzan is in the VI, it's still pretty darn reasonable here. Comparable to Bacardi in price but much tastier.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-05 7:00 pm   Permalink

No problem. I'm always in the mood to talk about rum. It's so nice to see that Hanford has portioned up the forums a bit. It makes for better discussions I think.

Re: flavored Cruzan rums

The coconut is the best of that flavor you can buy. The great thing about Cruzan is the use of all natural flavorings in their flavored rum line. When you compare the taste side by side with some of the other brands (Malibu, Bacardi flavored rums, etc.) the difference is subtle, but surely there. I find the mango Mount Gay to be good stuff as well.

While these flavored brands didn't exist in the old tiki drinks of yore (save coconut), it gives us new age tropical bartenders a unique edge in the creation of new drinks and variations on old ones.

Many of these flavored rums are sweet enough to replace a similar flavored syrup. Not only do you get to bump up the alcoholic kick in a drink when you do this, it offers an easy path to morph an old tried and true concoction into a whole new beast.

The orange Cruzan as a substitute for Curacao in a Mai Tai for an example of liquer sustitution. Or even a mango Mai Tai for that matter.

The citrus rum can be used in place of sour mix on occasion (so long as you rebalance the sour with more or less fresh lime or lemon juice) for a less heavy cocktail with a sprightly profile.

Fun stuff for sure.

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-05 19:03 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-05 11:53 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-10-30 08:47, Kono wrote:
As anyone tried the Cruzan Clipper 120 proof? I saw it yesterday at a liquor store that's new to me. I wonder what it might be useful for other than those evenings when the 80 proof just don't have enough kick but the 151 is gonna make it too tough to get to church the next morning.

kono- i have the clipper 120 in my bar. i definately choose it over bacardi 151. i just use a little more then the recipe calls for to make up the difference in proof. it is smoother in my opinion. but for the money your better off with demerara 151 which is the best.

note- bevmo will special order demerara for you if your closest store does not stock it. where i live it only costs me $24 and tax. and it arrives at the store in less than a week! which reminds me i'm down to only 1 bottle after the hooptylau. i better order more!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 01:17 am   Permalink

Cruzan does make a 151 version of the light rum. It has a red label.

It is certainly better than Bacardi.

That is what I was getting at when I mentioned that the 120 isn't as useful.

Now Demerara 151 is a whole different matter...good stuff as far as high proof juice goes.

Here's a small pic:

The label has since changed to look like a bright red version of the dark and light rum label.

You won't find it on the Cruzan website for some reason (?).

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-06 01:26 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 06:33 am   Permalink

I've got the Lemon Hart 151 and it is a step above the rest, but I go easy on it because I have to mail order it from California. It's not available in Florida. El Dorado's the only demerera that you can get here that I know of.

I've got a bottle of Cruzan 151 but it's a 2yo dark rum and the label is nothing like that. I've never seen a light 151 Cruzan.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

I've got a bottle of Cruzan 151 but it's a 2yo dark rum and the label is nothing like that. I've never seen a light 151 Cruzan.

Weird. Cruzan must have some sort of covert thang goin' on with their overproof stuff.
Now I have to rescind my early claim of having sampled all of their rums, because I have never seen the dark 151.

I noticed on the website that they have changed the name of the spiced rum as well. It used to be Clipper and now it's called Atocha.

I've never been much of a spiced rum drinker myself, but I usually keep a bottle around for the "Cap'n an' Coke" crowd. They not only changed the name and label, but now it has gold flakes tossed in there too. That's a bit much if ya ask me. Tryin' a little too hard methinks.

Then again, I'd be hard pressed to justify my criticism of a rum company for tossing glitter into the bottle after participating in a drink forum thread about the proper usage of dry ice in a cocktail.

Eh...what are ya gonna do, right?

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-06 08:51 ]

the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 09:32 am   Permalink

kono- who is you supplier of lemon hart demerara? is it beverages and more? if they order at the store they may do special ordering online.

i have never seen either of the cruzan 151s. i'll have to look for them and give them a try. thanks for the info folks!

also i was at trader joe's here by the house and they carry 3 or 4 different cruzan rums for only $8.99. if you have a trader joe's by you check it out. the price is definately right!

dh

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat on 2004-11-06 09:37 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 1:25 pm   Permalink

Ahu, I said dark but I meant gold. It's a gold rum that looks like their 80 proof gold rum. It has a small oval red label that says Cruzan Estate 151.

drunken hat, I get the Lemon Hart from Hi-Times Wine online. They do a good job, reasonable prices and package it like it's going to Fort Knox. I recommend them for anyone looking for hard to find liquor.

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-06 13:25, Kono wrote:
Ahu, I said dark but I meant gold. It's a gold rum that looks like their 80 proof gold rum. It has a small oval red label that says Cruzan Estate 151.

Ah, then we are talking about the same spirit then. For a minute there I was wondering what other Cruzan brands might have escaped me. In my fevered mind there were whole aisles of bottles of secret rums sitting on shelves in stores far from my home in places I've never been...

Whew!

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-06 14:21 ]

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-06 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-06 14:20, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:
Ah, then we are talking about the same spirit then. For a minute there I was wondering what other Cruzan brands might have escaped me. In my fevered mind there were whole aisles of bottles of secret rums sitting on shelves in stores far from my home in places I've never been...

Whew!

Ahu

Is your picture realistic? Mine doesn't look that yellow. It has more of a caramel color to it.

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-07 12:39 am   Permalink

No, the picture is not realistic. The 151 I have here in the bar is the same as the Cruzan light rum in color.

Ahu

doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-07 05:50 am   Permalink

With the cold weather here at night(Las vegas), I have been using the Black strap in Trader Vic's Hot Buttered Rum mix (the recipe from his book), it's alot better than using a light rum. Also I use it instead of whisky in a bar-b-q sauce.

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-07 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

Also I use it instead of whisky in a bar-b-q sauce.

Cool. Sounds great. When can we all stop by for dinner?

Ahu

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-12 9:26 pm   Permalink

For any of you Washingtonians, and those of us who live across the River or Border, WA state liquor stores are closing out Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum for $22. That's $10 cheaper than here in Oregon. After all the rave reviews on this thread, I was going to wait to spend some Christmas money, but at this price, I hightailed it across the Columbia this evening.
Do a product search on
http:www/liq.wa.gov to find closest stores to you that have it, and then call to make sure.
And yes, it is delightful!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation