FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Cruzan Rum - How's it Rate?
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-04 01:56 am   Permalink

So what was the final verdict on Cruzan 151? Worthy substitute for Bacardi 151 or no?

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-04 09:09 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2005-06-06 08:07 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-05 05:23 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-07-27 22:50, Humuhumu wrote:
An excuse to by Black Strap *and* key limes? Sold. I'll have to give it a whirl.

In case I can't track down fresh key limes, have you tried making it with bottled key lime juice?

You're in West LA and you can't find fresh key limes?! Go to any hispanic market, and almost any Asian market too for that matter, they're always available!

I think I've seen little meshbags of them at Ralph's here in the Valley (at 2-4 times the price at _Superior_ or _Vallarta_ markets).

GO ETHNIC, Tiki-lovers. Asian/vietnamese markets always stock good quality fresh mint for about $.69-$.99 a bunch.

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mermadia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-23 5:35 pm   Permalink

Since this is a post about Cruzan rum, thought I'd add my own recipie:
The Pina Pinata:
1/2 c frozen pineapple chunks(Trader Joes carries 'em)
1/4-1/2 c ice
2-3 oz Cruzan pineapple flavour rum
4 oz Finest Call Pina Colada mix
1/4 c whole milk
Here's the pinata part: 1 big squirt of chocolate syrup! mmm...
Mix in blender & enjoy!
Cheers!

~Mermadia~

View Profile of Mermadia Send a personal message to Mermadia  Email Mermadia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
traderjoshua

Posted: 2007-07-30 1:06 pm   Permalink

My version of the mai tai uses Cruzan rums, simply because of their price and availability. I'm no expert, and certainly new to tiki mixology, but I think Cruzan makes a perfectly respectable rum with brilliant flavour. The black strap is a welcome snappy, nutty feature in this mai tai.

I haven't been able to stop drinking these lately.

1 oz. cruzan estate diamond 5 year rum
1 oz. cruzan black strap rum
1/2 oz. DeKyuper or Bols Orange Curacao
1/2 oz. Trader Vic's Orgeat Syrup (I pay shipping from TV's website, and its worth it)
1/4 oz. Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup
Juice of 1 medium lime
Crushed ice

P.s. I love my boston shaker. mix in your drink glass and only one part to clean. Brilliant!

View Profile of traderjoshua Send a personal message to traderjoshua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 2:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, Cruzan Rum brings back some memories. Just out of high school I bar-tended at a Hotel in St. Croix that a good friends Mom helped manage. We used to get them for about a buck a bottle through the distributor. The mixers were always more expensive. It has always been good sippin' rum. I remember creating a drink I called "The Cruzan Confusion". Every once in awhile a "special" customer would come through and I would mix it with Cruzan 151 and a little extra sugar. O.K. I was young, but they had it coming. Anyway, it would pretty much take most out of the game for the night with the white flag flyin' high. I will try and find the recipe.
By the way... that was over twenty years ago. Damn.... that makes me....older. crap.

[ This Message was edited by: Bohemiann 2007-07-30 14:49 ]

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation