Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Quiet Village
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Quiet Village
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 2:18 pm   Permalink

Nah, you're thinking of Blue VELVET!

LOL.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 4:29 pm   Permalink

My favorite version of Quiet Village is a 10 minute version done by jazz singer Rene Marie. That version is 10 minutes long (it includes a bass solo), and can be found on her CD 'Live at Jazz Standard'

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 09:55 am   Permalink

Hey all, I have posted an LP for download in the thread "Exotica LP Available For Download". It is "An Evening at the Royal Tahitian" which was self produced by the RT back in '60 (I think). It features the house band performing a very slow version of "Quiet Village" complete with bird calls.
Mark

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 7:06 pm   Permalink

Re: the many versions of Quiet Village out there, this:
Odell Brown and the Organ-izers, Cadet LPS-788
was mentioned previously in this thread. I picked up a nice copy of it at the local Salvation Army recently. It's called Mellow Yellow -- Odell Brown and the Organ-izers. Song 1 is the title track; Song 2 is Quiet Village. It is done nicely in my opinion. To quote from the album notes:
Les Baxter's exotic classic, Quiet Village, is introduced by Brown and Gibson in a mellow manner. They build to a wailing peak for the horns who come in swinging with the famous theme. Artee Payne and then Tommy Purvis solo; they get ultra-hot in a modern way and build to an exciting climax before the entire group returns to the opening pattern.

Anyone else have this record too? Finding it in such nice condition made me feel "ultra-hot in a modern way."

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 03:01 am   Permalink

I can hack "Quiet Village" on the uke and sing the words at the same time. But, that probably won't be anyone's favorite version of the tune......

-Randy

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nightmaretony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-31 07:34 am   Permalink

AMG gets bananas sometimes. My CD is listed as jazz when it is actually haunted house electronic ambient soundscapes. I wrote to them several times but they never fixed it. Sigh.

View Profile of Nightmaretony Send a personal message to Nightmaretony  Email Nightmaretony Goto the website of Nightmaretony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation