FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Pisco Capel Bottle into Lamp
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Pisco Capel Bottle into Lamp
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-05 5:23 pm   Permalink

I was inspired by badmojo and this thread to make a lamp for my bar from a decorative Pisco Capel bottle I had picked up from the local liquor store. Here are some photos:

I forgot the “before” photo. The glass bottle had a bad seam down the middle from where the two halves were fused together. I ground off the seam with my dremel tool and grinding bit. Also in this photo, you can see the plastic “topknot” that fits over the screw cap on the top.

Here’s the bottle after I scuffed it up and put a few coats of primer on it. Unfortunately, I was a little overzealous with the grinder on the seam, and it telegraphs through the paint a little bit.

Here’s the rear of the bottle, showing some more of the detail and the hole I drilled for the lamp cord to come out.

Here it is after the fleckstone coat, ready for some coats of matte spray paint. I put two colors on, black for the body, and a dark brick red for the topknot.

Finished! I installed the lamp hardware (mixed and matched from OSH), filled the body with sand to give it some weight and ordered a shade from Moonshine Shades. (Thanks Turbogod.) Waiting for the shade was the hardest part, however, I think it works perfectly.

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-05 5:48 pm   Permalink

MakeMake you Make good Lamp. Your step by step was perfect for TC. Excellent instructions and Excellent lamp. You KNOW, ofcourse, all of TC is going to ask you to build one for them also.
Well made.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-05 7:23 pm   Permalink

Damn makemake make good lamp. You did a nice job. Looks sweet lite up, and nice choice for the lamp shade.

Impressive.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wushu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-05 8:49 pm   Permalink

very nice!!

View Profile of wushu Send a personal message to wushu  Goto the website of wushu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:27 am   Permalink

Now you need to empty a full bottle by yourself!!! Nice lamp!

Matt

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:48 am   Permalink

Where does one find those bottles? Sounds like one hell of a drink and also a great project to tackle.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-06 11:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the compliments-- its high praise indeed considering the quality work turned out by the posters.

Tiki-Toa, I’m not sure where you’re at, but my bottle came from
Hi Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa, California, which is one of the best liquor stores around as far as I’m concerned. I’ve only shopped there in person, but it looks like you can order through there website. I’m 90% (not 100%) sure that this is the right item.

From now on, I’ll be sure to raise a toast to TC’ers everywhere whenever I light my Moai drinking lamp.

BTW, I should add a special thanks to Mr. Teitelbaum for his Pisco Sour recipe. It made it a lot easier to get through that whole bottle of Pisco. Whatever the flavor merits of Pisco are, there were a couple times, after 2 or 3 drinks, when I swear that bottle was talking to me.

View Profile of makemake Send a personal message to makemake      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 08:39 am   Permalink

Thanks MakeMake, took a look and the bad part was that they do not show a picture of what they are selling. Was/is your bottle a 750ml? I may order it just as a whim, if it is not the right bottle maybe I can return it. Mahalo again.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 11:50 am   Permalink

Liqourama.net has this item and will ship.
around 24.00 plus shipping, same bottle.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 12:39 pm   Permalink

I really like that lamp. The creativity of the folks on TC astounds me.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makemake
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-09 8:01 pm   Permalink

Tiki-Toa-- yes my bottle is a 750ml bottle. Everything included in the description on the Hi-Time site matches my bottle. (Hi Time carries lots of different "Piscos".)

FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 8:30 pm   Permalink

Awesome lamp!!! Tastefully done. It totally looks store-bought. I have a feeling these may soon be out of stock at High-Time due to this thread;) Thanks for the link!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-10 05:14 am   Permalink

What kind of drill bit did you use to drill the hole for the cord? Wanting to try a similar lamp, but worried about cracking the glass.

Matty

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-10 06:49 am   Permalink

Well done...classy job, thanks for sharing.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-10 07:25 am   Permalink

swwwwweeet ... now I have to try it too.

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation