FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Tiki @ Target
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Tiki @ Target
Pakelika Mikela
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:10 am   Permalink

Anyone see these yet....some cool stuff, kinda inexpensive...also, for those in c.town a nice artical in the PD about Tiki

View Profile of Pakelika Mikela Send a personal message to Pakelika Mikela  Email Pakelika Mikela Goto the website of Pakelika Mikela     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:21 am   Permalink

yeah, I saw their stuff last week. some of it is just too cheezey for words, but I did pick up the bamboo framed memo board (I'm gonna re-work it into a picture frame)

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-07-06 11:03 am   Permalink

Funny thing is, yeah, it might be cheesey, but wasn't most hawaiiana and tiki stuff at one time?

(except all my stuff)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 3:08 pm   Permalink

I was refering to an oversized (maybe 1' or 1.5' diameter) orange alarm clock with tiki-esque faces as numbers. And I think one of the faces had vampy eyelashes. Or the powder-blue tikibank. (I was not making reference to the above photo as none of that stuff was there).

but, yes, it is/was all chees/zey.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-07-06 15:10 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 5:07 pm   Permalink

Like one of Ivan's famous slobbering mutts, I read this post and skeedaddled on over to Target to check out the new tiki. I live maybe 400 yards from a Target so I'm not a complete geek, semi-geek perhaps. Anyway, they didn't have any of it. But at least the female employee I talked to actually knew what tiki is! I'll try back in a few days. Those little short mugs from Target?

EDIT: Oh, those are candles aren't they? I was like "Why's he/she got milk in them mugs?"

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-07-06 17:10 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 8:08 pm   Permalink

I stumbled across a couple of the taget goodies yesterday. One of the mugs looks like he's had his hands amputated. There were some plastic tumblers with a tiki picture on them, but none of the other stuff. Any more pictures?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakelika Mikela
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-06 8:36 pm   Permalink

well, in all they had the mugs, candles(sans milk), a messge board with magnetic tikis, the bobblehead tiki, tiki lights(string), platic dishes, photo albums, and i think that's it....I will try and stop by an snap some photos...it's a super target so it may have a wider selection than the normal fine french store. Anybody want me to pick them something up?

late,

View Profile of Pakelika Mikela Send a personal message to Pakelika Mikela  Email Pakelika Mikela Goto the website of Pakelika Mikela     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 9:32 pm   Permalink

While my tastes in Tikis tends to be towards the vintage side of town, I couldn't resist some of the Tiki stuff at Target. I got the Tiki Lava Lamp and it's pretty cool looking for being rubbery-plastic and only $14.99. I'll take a picture once I have it going, but I think that it will look very cool behind the bar.

I also got one of the pink mugs for my daughter for only $3.99! I wish the mugs were in better colors--they are all pastel blue and pink, etc. to tie in with the other Target summer items. And I got the message board. I will probably turn it into a chalk blackboard, but it's pretty cool for $4.99.

A lot of the stuff was pure crap! Why ruin an OK clock by having to say "Tiki Tock" on it? Most of the stuff is for the casual summer buyer, but if you pick and choose you can find some decent stuff...I had no idea that Tiki was getting this far into the mainstream.

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:26 pm   Permalink

I too skeedaddled over to Target, and found that all the Aloha Summer stuff was on sale, 50% off, at ours. I snagged all the fake bamboo cutlery, some candle-filled coconuts, napkins, good leis, etc., all half off. I'm ready for the luau to warm my new home...whenever I find one to buy.

We didn't have all the above stuff mentioned, but I fell for one of the wall clocks ($7.99). Yeah, I wish it didn't say "Tiki Time" (and that it weren't orange!), but the little 3D tikis marking the numbers were too cute for me to pass up. No eyelash crap on this one, either. Only a couple were named correctly (Lono and Ku, I think), and the rest were named arbitrarily. How cool would it have been for them to have been accurate.

I'm looking forward to seeing the lava lamp hooked up, Kingslod. I took it out of the box at the store to take a gander, and the tiki base didn't look bad at all for $15, you know?

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini on 2004-07-06 22:32 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 10:15 pm   Permalink

Made it to a supertarzjhay today and boy did they have tons of tiki stuff! I was quite surprised, there were plenty of other items not mentioned above. When it comes to the new tacky tiki (Schonfelds, Dollar Tree, Big Lots, Spencers) this Target stuff is the best of the bunch.

The mugs were 4 bucks a piece. The big green mug has a handle in the back and is really huge. It's a hair shorter than the Gecko mug (which is a tall mug) but probably holds triple the volume. Little plastic rocks tumbler has a tiki emblem on it. Two candles that will make fine milk mugs when the wax is all melted away. Two salad plates. A box light or lighted box, whatever. On the back it says "Tiki Lounge." The "Tiki Time" clock as mentioned by Formikahini. Behind the clock is a tiki pillow.

They also had other tiki clocks, tiki party lights, a big magnetic message board with a clock on the right side and four tiki images on the left side, the tiki lava lamps, large tiki serving tray, tiki photo albums. The stuff was selling really quick. I didn't see the bamboo framed thing.

The cashier was actually laughing at me but now she knows what tiki is.

I want that tiki magnetic message board but I have no idea where I'd put it! The big ass mug with the handle is probably the coolest. At $6 each I think I'm gonna go get three more.

As far as being cheesey or tacky, this stuff really isn't that bad (the clock is a little borderline) and my big green mug is right now sitting right next to a T Vic's skull mug and a Treasure Craft Ku and looks right at home! I think these are the best nuevo mainstream tiki items since the Clay Arts pitcher and cookie jar. Go ye forth and check them out.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-07-07 22:17 to fix the pic ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-07-07 22:18 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 06:56 am   Permalink

If this stuff is just showing up at Target it may be part of their back to school line aimed at the college bound. Target is just clearing out the summer stuff ('cause in Retail Land summer ends on July 5th) and the next wave of their stylish yet inexpensive goods should hit all shelves soon. So keep shopping. Always keep shopping. You must buy more. It is good to buy.

PS: Yesterday I saw a nicely designed wood Tiki car air freshener in the automotive section of a Target. $3, coconut scent.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 07:42 am   Permalink

All of this stuff is indeed in the "back to school" section, but there's gonna be nothing left for the students once TC is done shopping

-Z

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 07:48 am   Permalink

my wahine bought me the smaller mugs and the handled kon-tiki mug yesterday. i agree the quality is alright ~ the thing i keep noticing when comparing these to the vintage "made in japan" stock is that the older glazes were much richer, with lots of depth and color variations based on the contour of the mug, whereas these glazes are pretty scientifically consistent, almost more like paint. but hey, the kon-tiki design is nice, didn't have that one yet, and i forsee drinking more beers than mai-tais out of it... and the price is right...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-08 07:48, Johnny Dollar wrote:
...the older glazes were much richer, with lots of depth and color variations based on the contour of the mug, whereas these glazes are pretty scientifically consistent, almost more like paint.

I agree with you J$. I noticed the same thing with the discount/overly mass produced stuff. I think that Tiki Farm still runs rings around them with their process. The definition is still there with every new mug they make.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 10:01 am   Permalink

I just picked up a tiki lava lamp at target......nicely carved design....only $15 too.....anyone else pick one of them up? I'll post a pic soon

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation