FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving tiki5-0's pics....finally! 8-4-04
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
tiki5-0's pics....finally! 8-4-04
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 1:16 pm   Permalink

WOW.

All 3 are great - I'm glad I bugged you to post. Really excellent work. It's amazing how many "first" tikis are posted here that look like they could be in a tropical resort, trader vics, or whatever.

My favorite is your first one. That dude is scary. I'd put him by the tiki bar to ward off evil hangovers.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 2:46 pm   Permalink

thanks! i wasn't sure what i was doing with the first one. i just started carving away and ended up with that. i was shocked that it turned as well is all my friends think it did having never done anything like that before. i will keep posting more as they come. i will start on #4 soon.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 4:31 pm   Permalink

Even MORE "First" tikis look like the 10th or more. Impressive with very good looking finish.. YO Dude!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 6:42 pm   Permalink

looks very well especially for the first three, all the new carvers are really showing some great work right off the bat. excellent i like the middle one.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Filippi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-04 7:03 pm   Permalink

Great first work. I only have 1 and 1/ 2 to my name so you're way ahead of me, keep 'em coming they look good!
Hopefully I can have some more done by sometime soon.

View Profile of Tiki Filippi Send a personal message to Tiki Filippi  Goto the website of Tiki Filippi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 12:37 pm   Permalink

Those are really cool pieces - Great work!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-04 16:31, Benzart wrote:
Even MORE "First" tikis look like the 10th or more. Impressive with very good looking finish.. YO Dude!!

There is no way on earth that us rookies could post "first time" pics that look decent, without all the support and amazing works by you, and so many others here, to look at. It's people like you give us inspiration and perspective.

So, thanks!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 1:00 pm   Permalink

I really dig the finish on all of them. Super sweet!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 2:08 pm   Permalink

I agree to Lots of New carvers posting their first carvings . How many in last month or so?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 5:33 pm   Permalink

thank you all for the compliments! i'm glad you all seem to like them. it's really great to hear what people think of them. i will continue to post more as they come.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 10:16 am   Permalink

i am working on a couple of masks for our dining room wall. i am hoping to get them finished this long weekend and to have the pics up of them early next week.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-03 1:10 pm   Permalink

Hey, 5-0. I really dig the finish on those tikis. What did you use? Are you still working on #4? Can't wait to see the masks!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 09:45 am   Permalink

the first one i stained and used tung oil. the other 2 are redwood. i burned them and then just used the tung oil. i do about 2-3 coats of it and it gives it a nice finish. the more you use, the glossier it looks. #4 is on hold(been too busy). i got one mask done and will finish it in a couple days. the second mask died while i was cutting the edges. r.i.p.

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 09:51 am   Permalink

Wow, I really like those guys. How long did you spend on each one? I was thinking of trying a mask, cant wait to see how yours turn out.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 10:30 am   Permalink

Those are some nice poles. You developed your own style very quickly. I can't wait to see more.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation