FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Restoring vintage rattan chairs and need some help.
Restoring vintage rattan chairs and need some help.
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 1:48 pm   Permalink

Hi. I have some vintage "Tropitan" chairs and some other rattan pieces that I am trying to spruce up. I only need to find a source for the ribbed plastic wrap that was used for concealing the joints. It becomes brittle over the years and breaks off in strips or just cracks. It is usually a tan or deep cream color but I also have black on a dining set. It is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in width and has either 3 or 4 ribs. I suppose you can get it on a roll or by the foot ? I have searched the web and found nothing!! Surely someone still makes this stuff! I gotta believe that there are several of you clever TC'ers who have done this type of repair or at least know exactly what material I am looking for. It may be that it is readily available in a coastal area but not here in my mid-west pastureland.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND A SUPPLIER PLEASE?
Thanks in advance!

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-07-06 14:06 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 3:14 pm   Permalink

8FT,
Try craft supply stores or fabric stores. Maybe a garden center for stuff used to tie plants to stakes?

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 7:48 pm   Permalink

I looked through the catalog for Frank's Cane & Rush Supply (the company I got a Rattan re-wrapping kit from).

Under "Plastic Wicker Supplies" they list "Flat Oval Plastic" that is 1/4" wide & comes in green, brown & white. The catalog says it could be used for wrapping, amoung other things.

Not exactly what your looking for, but maybe would work. The rattan re-wrapping kit comes with an instuction sheet for wrapping rattan furniture.

Or maybe they could direct you to a source for the exact item you need. The website is franksupply.com

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 5:20 pm   Permalink

I never really cared for that fake vinyl caning that binds some rattan furniture, so I learned how to replace it with real caning.

I've been practicing some re-caning of old rattan furniture I track down at flea markets... I'm starting to get halfway good at it....

Here's a picture of a chair corner before caning:

and after caning:

It isn't that difficult. The hardest part is learning the fancy wrap & weave patterns.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation