FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Mr Smiley's Modesto Birthday July 9 @ Minnie's
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mr Smiley's Modesto Birthday July 9 @ Minnie's
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-06 4:15 pm   Permalink

Who wants to join Mr Smiley for (and buy me )some drinks at Minnie's in Modesto?? Be there at 9 pm Friday July 9, 2004.
Out of town guests may want to stay across the street at The Chalet Motel. It is ok-not fancy and rooms run about $50 a night. (Chalet Motel 115 Downey Ave , Modesto 209-529-4370)
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 6:22 pm   Permalink

Why, YES! I would love to! I just looked at a map, and by golly, besides having the extreme pleasure of ringing in a birthday with Mr. Smiley, I get to hit all KINDS of tiki along Hwy 99 that I haven't seen before... The Tropics! Luau! Minnie's! The Leilani! Coconut Joe's!

If I head out of town at 4pm (like a bat out of hell), what time can I reasonably expect to land in Modesto?

Is the Tropics reasonably safe? Or is it look-don't-touch?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 6:34 pm   Permalink

DAAAAAAAAARN!!

Why is my teleporter broken? I will lift a mai tai and hoist in a westerly direction on the 9th, Mr Smiley!

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 6:49 pm   Permalink

Come on over to Whanga Rei too.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 7:43 pm   Permalink

Happy Birfday, Mr. Smiley!
Wish I could attend.

...mainly for the cake.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-06 10:03 pm   Permalink

we'll be there!

if anyone needs a place to stay, we can offer up our guest room. its a full size bed and yer own bathroom. the only stipulation is not minding a roaming fat cat that likes to sleep on some people's heads (he is really friendly, we swear!) we live about 10 minutes away from minnie's.
first to claim gets to stay!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 12:51 am   Permalink

Was that your lucky "666" birthday post, MrSmiley?!

Of course I, as Mr Smiley's glamourous chauffeur, will also be bringing the banana cake!!!

Humu, both the Chalet and the Tropics are roughly equivalent (in terms of the sleazy 'n shabby factor) to the Palms in Portland, although the signage is sadly inferior in both cases.

We used to think the Chalet would be a bit less dicey but last time we were there I concluded otherwise. I mean really, it was just the last straw when I realized the two halves of our toilet paper holder didn't match, lol.

However, I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at either place, and I never saw a bug either. The Tropics is actually slightly cleaner, I think, though wretchedly beaten-up inside; the outside looks good. And, of course, there IS another Tiki bar on the premises...

Mostly, now, it's just a question of which requires fewer steps to stagger to one's room from Minnie's. The Chalet IS right across the street. But Humu, if you wanna stay at the Tropics we will too! Tropics Party, everyone!!!hee hee. I imagine it'd take a lot to get thrown outta there.

Tikicleen, we would love to stay with you guys and Chester meowmeow! but I think the staggering-across-the-street thing will come heavily into play this weekend. Maybe another time? I'll bring snacks and catnip...

See y'all Friday! JT, you're coming right??

Oh, the drive from LA to Modesto SHOULD take about five to six hours, depending on traffic and how magnificently you burn up the road. It's about 300 miles, give or take ten.

XOX Tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 01:03 am   Permalink

Aw, JT, I just caught up on the Whanga Rei stuff...LOVE that name, by the way. Because of MrSmiley's work, we can't get out to Modesto much before nine. Which doesn't really leave time for both--maybe--up to him--but is WR open Saturday day? I'd love to see it, and your carvings there! If not this trip, SOON...

meow from Tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 10:32 am   Permalink

I wish I could make it.
It's very hard for me to get a Friday or Saturday night off (bartender).
You know I'll be there in spirit.
I will toast your birthday at my bar.
Happy Birthday Mr. Smiley!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-07-07 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Humu, both the Chalet and the Tropics are roughly equivalent (in terms of the sleazy 'n shabby factor) to the Palms in Portland, although the signage is sadly inferior in both cases.

I don't know if The Tropics takes reservations--can someone call them?
Tropics Motel
(209) 523-7701 936 Mchenry Ave
Modesto, CA

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-07-07 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-06 19:43, pablus wrote:

Happy Birfday, Mr. Smiley!
Wish I could attend.

...mainly for the cake.

"Come for the drinks, stay for the CAKE!"

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 1:35 pm   Permalink

Bummer, I'll be in Modesto the 8th (on my way to Tahoe for the weekend). We're making a pitstop to go to Minnie's and the Tiki Lounge. Would have loved to hook up on the 9th! Happy B-Day anyway....Matt
www.bartiki.com

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 2:40 pm   Permalink

We're in
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 4:32 pm   Permalink

Hey MrSmiley, the Pineapples would love to attend, but will be busy laughing at people's funny accents on the Jersey Shore. Have a swell one!

And hey, what's up with a motel that doesn't take reservations? Oh, I get it....

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2004-07-07 5:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-07 16:32, Tiki-bot wrote:

And hey, what's up with a motel that doesn't take reservations? Oh, I get it....

Yes-it is hard to figure out reservations for a place that rents room by the hour!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation