FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Fire-flies like in pirates of the carribean ride?
Fire-flies like in pirates of the carribean ride?
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 4:56 pm   Permalink

I saw an article recently about some fake fireflies you could buy. Apparently they are something like grain-of-wheat bulbs on some micro-thin wire, and have a tiny fan on them that makes them bounce around. Has anyone seen these or something like them? They were priced at $100 (!) for a strand of, like, six, - too rich for me.

I've always loved those fireflies in the Blue Bayou part of the ride and would love to have some. I seem to remember those ones bobbed around on some kind of wobbly wheel that spins slowly, though not sure.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-07 8:02 pm   Permalink

do a google search on 'artificial fireflies' theres a few sites for the do-it-yourselfer, also some to purchase 'off the shelf'.

theres a cached site
homemade fireflies unfortunately, the pictures are gone ~ but the text looks promising!

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 06:48 am   Permalink

We have the real ones out here. They seem to like moisture, so if you spray your bushes with water just before sunset dozens of them will hang around all night.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 2:00 pm   Permalink

I remember reading the website that Elicia posted. That guy/inventor was an Imagineer at Disneyland.
Here is the website of the fireflies.
http://www.fireflies.tv/
Tiki-bot you thought they were expensive now? They are going up to $150.00.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 07:58 am   Permalink

Grain of wheat bulbs are dirt cheap:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/prods/umb.htm

And computer fans (to blow the bulbs around) are rather inexpensive too. All you need is a standard PC power supply and you should be in business.

The old-style Pirates of the Caribbean fireflies had a small piece of stiff wire towards the end of the bulb with a piece of black electrical tape on it. The bulb hangs by a long wire and the fan blows it around. When the electrical tape is between the viewer and the bulb, the firefly disappears. A very low-tech but beautiful effect.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Erika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 1:53 pm   Permalink

Here's a site with instructions for fireflies:

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Imagineering/Imagineering.html

Someday (when I have a house, and a yard), I might have to try it--for that long portion of the year when the real ones aren't around.

[ This Message was edited by: Erika on 2004-07-10 13:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Erika on 2004-07-10 13:54 ]

View Profile of Erika Send a personal message to Erika      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 1:39 pm   Permalink

A cheap source for computer fans is C & H Sales in Pasadena.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 7:47 pm   Permalink

If anyone is still interested in "Firelies," like the ones in the Pirates of the Caribbean, Tim Carter is the inventor of the ones used in the movie and sells them as well. He recently opened a page on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bayou-Fireflies/404931106256720

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-08 9:22 pm   Permalink

Very cool MaukaHale.Thanks for the link. I've always wanted to do this at my jungle outpost.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-03 08:44 am   Permalink

Fairy Berries On A String create a good firefly effect when placed in a tree or shrubs. The lights fade in and out at different times and they look cool.
They're battery operated and you can operate 5 strings on 1 battery pack. The orbs are 3/4" in diameter and put off quite a bit of LED light so a dark yard would be the best way to use them.
Unfortunately, I have only been able to find them in white instead of firefly yellow.
I bought mine on Amazon. There are a bunch of different variations of Fairy Berries.
They come in rainbow colors and even single use individual orbs.
www.amazon.com/Fortune-Products-FB-40W-Berries-String/dp/B00DI41018/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1378221863&sr=8-9&keywords=fairy+berries

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-09-03 08:55 am   Permalink

I bet a sharpie marker would yellow those right up.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alexander Monday

Posted: 10 days ago; 5:27 pm   Permalink

I was doing some research for a tiki fete this past spring of 2014 and stumbled across a website that sold artificial fireflies THAT MOVED! How cool is that? They were affixed by wires to a base as I recall -- can't remember if they moved via mechanical means or a small fan, though.

Not only that, this site also sold a large selection of anatomically correct artificial butterflies, moths, etc. -- some of them very large and tropical -- right out of the jungles of New Guinea or the Enchanted Tiki Room!

At the time I cheaped out and now just a few short months later, alas and alack, I can't find the site... If any of you intrepid jungle explorers have any leads please let me know...

Thanks for the information already provided above by others. I did visit Tim Carter's site -- unfortunately his shop
www.bayoufireflies.com was not active when I checked just now and his last Bayou Fireflies Facebook post was from July 24th of 2013; looks like a great product and I hope it comes back! I also found www.fireflymagic.com which sells what appear to be stationary fireflies which I intend to give a try until my search for El Dorado yields gold...

View Profile of Alexander Monday Send a personal message to Alexander Monday      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 9 days ago; 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-20 17:27, Alexander Monday wrote:
At the time I cheaped out and now just a few short months later, alas and alack, I can't find the site... If any of you intrepid jungle explorers have any leads please let me know...

He has an FB page, try contacting him directly there:
https://www.facebook.com/BayouFireflies

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation