FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki 2004 Tour de France
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
2004 Tour de France
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 1:08 pm   Permalink

For King of the Mountains, riders crossing various summits get points (Lance is second). Early in the race, Virenque and others contested those while Lance stayed in the pack. Concieveably, Lance could have contested the early summits in today's race and taken the Polka Dot jersey for himself (you can give a jersey to someone else to wear if you have more than one), but that strategy would not have benifitted him unless a main rival had tried to break away early in the race.
Ullrich is 8'8" behind. Here's the official site:
http://www.letour.fr/2004/us/index.html Here's one that I enjoy more: http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/0,3479,,00.html

[ This Message was edited by: foamy on 2004-07-22 13:09 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 2:28 pm   Permalink

WOW - I'm so glad mr. p, me and the t-birds aren't the only fans of cycling and tiki! Lance will win, it's hard for me to distance myself, because we follow it so closely, but we got to turn my brother and his in-laws onto the beauty of le Tour, because we did have OLN on vacation, and we wathced evreyday! It was fun explaining the 'team' aspect of cycling to novices, they got pretty caught up in it! I'm glad to hear Lance giving so much credit to the team, the reason none of the other contenders really had a chance is because they don't ALSO have a Floyd, Georgie, Jose, Victor, etc. on their team, the first day in the mountains showed them as a team and it was awesome!
GO LANCE!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 2:51 pm   Permalink

Y'know what I love? That my primary source for coverage of the Tour de France is Tiki Central. Vive la Lance!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 2:55 pm   Permalink

I dont know about you, but im already goin to miss Bob Roll's color commentary for the Tour de France. He seems to have a hand gesture for anything he says. Go Bob!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 14:51, Humuhumu wrote:
Y'know what I love? That my primary source for coverage of the Tour de France is Tiki Central. Vive la Lance!

Maybe next year Utopiandreem & i will go to watch the Tour in person & i'll where a tiki shirt running next to a rider, then there will be tiki @ the Tour!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 5:02 pm   Permalink

It's my lifelong dream to watch the Tour en Francais! One of these years, we're going to rent a caravan (RV in eurospeak!) and be one of the loonies who stand along a mt. pass screaming for the riders! We'll travel the whole route! We have the SF Grand Prix here, and Mr. P and I watched the race last year at Liverpool Lil's, right on the route, we drank bloody mary's ALL day and the race was on the TV, so we watched as they came along, and ran outside every lap to scream for Lance and Georgie! It's so incedibly exciting, it's hard to explain! I have an amazing photo of Lance that I shot, it's just a bunch of riders whizzing by, and, when we got the film developed I was looking at them, and I couldn't beleive my luck! I'll get Mr. P to scan and post it tonight! We have a LOT of respect for these guys getting back on the bike everyday, we do the math and relate it to our ride, whew...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 7:48 pm   Permalink

I, too, will be in a spot of bother when the Tour ends.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-23 11:17 pm   Permalink

I heard a nasty rumor that fans along the sidelines were spitting on Lance. I don't know if this is true or not but I know there are alot of people out there who don't care for Armstrong that much. If these rumors are true something should be done about it. That is just a disgrace and poor sportsmanship by the fans (selected fans I should say) Has anyone heard anything else about this?

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-24 02:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 23:17, tikilee wrote:
I heard a nasty rumor that fans along the sidelines were spitting on Lance. I don't know if this is true or not but I know there are alot of people out there who don't care for Armstrong that much. If these rumors are true something should be done about it. That is just a disgrace and poor sportsmanship by the fans (selected fans I should say) Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Believe me this is not true. I've seen the tour lots of times from the sidewalk and everybody loves him. I've never seen so much american flags (hanged by french !).
Maybe there's some fans who don't like him, but usually, they are very respectfull of his art (they must be some exceptions but very rarely).

Well, now, back to the tour. (anyone with me tomorrow at the Champs d'Elysee, it's just a 20 min walk from here )

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-24 07:13 am   Permalink

Thanks for confirming those rumors false Virani. I should know by now that you can't believe every thing you hear.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ecm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-24 5:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 14:55, Tiki Bird wrote:
I dont know about you, but im already goin to miss Bob Roll's color commentary for the Tour de France. He seems to have a hand gesture for anything he says. Go Bob!

i;ve been a fan of Bob Roll's , since his 7 11 days..Bob rocks....

View Profile of ecm Send a personal message to ecm  Email ecm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-24 6:43 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, the German fans were spitting a few days ago, the day of the mt. time trial. There were some fans along the route who had been drinking all day, or for several days, and they got out of line. They were pretty rude to a bunch of the riders, including a German rider who rides for Cofidis or CSC (I think) calling him a traitor for not riding for a German team. It's good to know that Raider fans aren't the only idiots! (I apologize to any Raider fans who aren't idiots, the ones I've encountered, well, are.)

So, yeah there are always jackass fans, but I think Lance is pretty well loved in general, if anything he's done an amazing job of being the greatest athlete on the planet, while at the same time being a huge celebrity, fundraiser and awareness spokesman! I personally couldn't imagine doing one of the jobs he does!

It cracks me up though, he takes it on every front, one day the press is on him for giving Basso the stage 'gift' and the next they're on him to 'taking' Kloden's, whatever! GO POSTAL!

I'm also REALLY jealous that you get to see the end in person, have fun and take some photos!

mrs. pineapple

[ This Message was edited by: mrs. pineapple on 2004-07-24 18:47 ]

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 10:32 am   Permalink

That's it, the tour is over.

Today, i saw the bikers 8 times around the Champs d'Elysee (anyone saw me on TV with my tiki shirt ??), I saw Lance with his new trophee (congratulations), I saw some guys with shirts like "Texas is bigger than France" (!!!??!!), lots of foreigners, much more than i ever saw on the tour, and finally, I saw Will Smith !!

See you next year...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-26 05:55 am   Permalink

"saw some guys with shirts like "Texas is bigger than France"

Idiots. And we wonder why the French aren't over keen on Americans.

I miss Le Tour already. I kind'a feel bad for Ullrich, that he wasn't more competitive. Maybe he'll get it together next year. Wouldn't count for as much if Lance doesn't ride against him though. I agree with Phil Ligget: Voelkler was the brightest thing to come out of the Tour this year (aside from the record). Wish he'd been able to hang on to the White Jersey.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-26 09:43 am   Permalink

Wow, what a tour, what did everone think of Filippo Simeoni passing Lance before reaching Paris, which traditionally no one challenges the yellow jersey out of respect for the sport until reaching paris & doing a ceremonally lap.

p.s. even though postal & the rest of the pelaton put him back in his place! I love the tour & its tradition of sportmanship!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-07-26 09:44 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation