FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Retro? Modern? Jacks-thingies..What IS IT???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Retro? Modern? Jacks-thingies..What IS IT???
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-08 6:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha my friends!
These items are puzzling. I am not a expert in modern furniture. Er, perhaps its not even furniture! I have 3 identical items of this. Constructed in a type of metal with cables. Plastic balls are on the ends. These "jacks" (thats what they remind me of) can be turned several ways on any side. The 3 pieces do not have any identification on them whatsoever. Don't know who made them. I must say though, whoever did make these did an excellent job! There tight with no looseness and the bars are all straight.
Can you imagine just trying to put these things together?!! :0
Anyone know what they are or who made these?

[ This Message was edited by: RenTiki on 2004-07-08 18:56 ]

View Profile of RenTiki Send a personal message to RenTiki  Email RenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 7:08 pm   Permalink

Could they be the bottom half (legs) of tables. Are thet level enough to set a round piece of glass on?

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-08 7:15 pm   Permalink

Perfect timing, just in time for the release of Bucky's stamp! These are Geodesic demonstrators to show how tension is more important than compression in Geodesic design. You can see that the whole design distorts when you press down on the bars, the tension increasing on the cables between the bars, then they spring back up when released. I believe that you can put a tempered glass table top on these, but they'll perform their demonstrator function if you put too much weight on'em.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 06:38 am   Permalink

They look like those bar puzzles that make you crazy trying to figure out,and then someone smugly shows you how easy it is to solve and then you kick them in the shins.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RenTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-09 07:41 am   Permalink

docwoods, you're too funny! I doubt it's a annoying puzzle. I don't think these things come apart.
Flounder, I think you're correct. Setting these on one certain side reveals 3 legs that could support a table top.
Perhaps two for a coffee table and one for an end table?
Um, Freddie, the cables are waaaay tooo tight for any fluctuation. Woowee, kinda sounds like a nasty word, dosn't it?! Hehehe.
But nice theory ya got there. Who the hell is Bucky?

View Profile of RenTiki Send a personal message to RenTiki  Email RenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 08:05 am   Permalink

Buckminster Fuller, father of the geodisic dome.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 08:09 am   Permalink

without bucky fuller, what would the original hippies have lived in?

put a few tikis in _this_ baby!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 08:37 am   Permalink

Has anyone else noticed that Johnny Dollar has a pic for everything!

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 08:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 08:37, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Johnny Dollar has a pic for everything!

Interesting theory. There is only one way to test it. J$, any nude pics of Ernest Borgnine?

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 09:13 am   Permalink

sorry, best i could do

hope my pix don't bother you, i'm just a visual person

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 09:17 am   Permalink

We have a Weiner!

I for one, being from the MTV generation, dig the visuals. Keep on keepin' on, J$.

As for the original topic, you could always tell your friends that they are models of Mai Tai molecules.

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-07-09 09:20 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 07:41, RenTiki wrote:

docwoods, you're too funny! I doubt it's a annoying puzzle. I don't think these things come apart.
Flounder, I think you're correct. Setting these on one certain side reveals 3 legs that could support a table top.
Um, Freddie, the cables are waaaay tooo tight for any fluctuation. Woowee, kinda sounds like a nasty word, dosn't it?! Hehehe.

Bucky!

J$, is that picture from Bellavista in Equador? I'm gonna hafta do some searching for more pictures of that!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 10:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 10:12, freddiefreelance wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-07-09 07:41, RenTiki wrote:

Bucky!

J$, is that picture from Bellavista in Equador? I'm gonna hafta do some searching for more pictures of that!

apparently so...
http://users.etown.edu/s/selchewa/home/bellavista.html

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 10:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 08:09, Johnny Dollar wrote:
put a few tikis in _this_ baby!

Here's some interior views. Thatch, Bamboo, woven grass matting... And a Geodesic Dome! Now I've got another idea for what to put on that little piece of dirt near the beach in San Felipe!

tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 10:35 am   Permalink

Those are Polish num-chucks.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation