FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Every Where. How does it feel Sven?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Every Where. How does it feel Sven?
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-09 9:32 pm   Permalink

I was just wondering how it feels for our Sven to be watching the plethora of Tiki goodies popping up all over the place? After all BOT is kinda responsible for the resurgence of Tiki on the pop culture stage.

No doubt others attentions ( Otto, James etc ) helped the tiki radar blip gorw brighter. But The Book Of Tiki really got that ball rolling. Just by being on the shelves across America ( and the world ) it put tiki into the collective subconciousness.

I'm glad cool reasonably priced stuff with character is coming out at Target and Spencers, and the others.

So Sven, how does it feel?

Tiki Gardener

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 2:56 pm   Permalink

TikiGardener,

I learned of the new Tiki "movement" from Robert Williams' juxtapoz magazine (which in turn directed me to Book Of Tiki). Not to say BOT isn't responsible, I'm just giving props! I as well as many of my friends were aware of tiki way before "The Book" (which from now on I will refer to as the New Testament of the New TIki Generation!)

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 8:01 pm   Permalink

I'm with freakbear, me and my friends were into tiki long before the book.not to say we werent excited when it came out.but there were alot of other things that helped it out. the swing movement,rockabilly, the movie swingers and on and.......

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I'm glad cool reasonably priced stuff with character is coming out at Target and Spencers, and the others.

Tikigardener,
I agree. I am surprised to see retailers such as Target and Spencers doing such a tasteful job in making these items available in light of some of the more timely creations I've seen elsewhere.

Last year I picked up the ClayArt mug 4 pack from spencers planning to use them instead of my vintage mugs. There still in the box. I guess I see them to be as collectible as the mugs they're based on.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

I think what Tikigardener is refering to is the mass marketing of tiki. Most of us here pre-date BOT as tiki fans... but as far as the general public is concerened, BOT really opened up alot of eyes. Don't forget that Pottery Barn started selling the book about a year after it was published.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 10:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-10 14:56, FreakBear wrote:
TikiGardener,

I learned of the new Tiki "movement" from Robert Williams' juxtapoz magazine (which in turn directed me to Book Of Tiki). Not to say BOT isn't responsible, I'm just giving props! I as well as many of my friends were aware of tiki way before "The Book" (which from now on I will refer to as the New Testament of the New TIki Generation!)

I'm sure the list of sources and exposure of tiki Pre-BOT were numerous, and my not mentioning them was in no way a slight to the true believers.

I do sense though that tiki would have either remained a sub-sub-sub culture icon, or at the very least would have taken several more years to re-emerge.

I have a sneaking suspcion that more than one design student saw the possiblities, and now are telling their bosses at Target or wherever; "Seeeee? I told you this stuff would fly off the shelves."

I just got my handled green Target Tiki mug, some swizzle sticks, and a cool acrylic tiki tumbler.

Ahhhhhhhh the sweet release of consumerism.

I really gotta see a doctor about this!.
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 10:34 pm   Permalink

I have the utmost admiration for Sven and I truly believe that he's one of the friendliest and most helpful members of TC AND I think he should be the next governor of California but I still think the BOT is mostly a "tiki underground" book.

I don't remember how or when I came to consider "tiki" as an adjective but I know it was a while ago. I personally discovered Tiki Central and thus he BOT less than a year ago.

I think it's more of a "zeitgest" thing where the pop Western world just came under the right set of circumstances to en masse realize that Tiki is ubercool. How many people that shop Dollar Tree or Target have read BOT? The designers may have read BOT but certainly not those making the products leap off the shelves.

There is another person who I think has had a significant influence on the "mainstreamization" of Tiki but I will not mention his name in fear that a collective of Dutch Tulip farmers may wish to jab my eyes out with their pointy little wooden shoes.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-07-16 22:16 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 11:06 pm   Permalink

Dutch Tulips?!? Heck put me down for twenty Yosh Agile variety Tulips.

Indeed, Shag has put a lot of vivid imagery into the eye of the public. He is so prolific, that when I wrote the intial post, I completely vegged on his towering contribution to Tikieverywhereitis.

As to stuff flying off the stuff, I wonder how much (by percentage) is actually consumed by Tiki Centralites?

And how much is bought by people buying multiples of items just to sell them on ebay?
TG

Good conversation with y'all so far, I love this place.

BaronV
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-11 01:22 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:09 ]

View Profile of BaronV Send a personal message to BaronV  Email BaronV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 04:12 am   Permalink

Baron, sage sage words. If this thing digresses into "sellout" I'll be the first to vote for locking it, putting it into a box, and setting it on fire.
TG

TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 04:14 am   Permalink

And of course this place has been a veritbale Ecyclopeida Tikicanica for the tiki curious.
My deep bow to Hanford.
TG

kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 11:37 am   Permalink

I can't wait 'til someone comes into my basement, sees my home Tiki bar and says, "Oh cool...just like at Target!"

But, let's give some serious props to a show that probably influenced a great many TCers in its original run or in endless hours of syndication...Say it with me..."Gil-i-gan!" Yes, Gilligan's Island. I soaked in so much of this show as a child that I started dreaming in bamboo. How many of us wanted to live on a tropical island in a thatched-roof hut (compound?) with 6 other stranded castaways?

Every time I hoist a drink in a coconut cup, I give a mental shoutout to Sherwood Schwartz...

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 1:40 pm   Permalink

I thought that one of the islands directly out my back window in the intra coastal waterway in Clearwater was Gliigans Island when I was a kid! I always wanted to take a canoe and row out and rescue them.

But nobody would let me, so I guess they might still be stranded there.
TG

chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 9:17 pm   Permalink

yes not to turn this into something ugly.i have respect for the new people. but lets not forget "survivor". which helped put this into the mainstream.it seems to me when things like this become popular, thats the beginning of the downfall.it happens all the time.rockabilly in the 80's, swing in the 90's.you get what i mean? things become trendy to the general public. then all of a sudden they turn on it.maybe what i mean is we here are the core, and maybe we shouldnt get too excited about being invaded by the outsiders. there are alot of true believer artists here we should support, before the mass produced stuff. jimmy

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 10:48 pm   Permalink

I'm all for supporting the fine artists that are TC regulars. The several Rain and Flounder ( theres an aquatic thing goin' on there ) pieces I have hanging on my walls are very welcome additions to my collection.

But when the bills get laid on thick, a $6.00 huge ass tiki mug from Target sates my gotta get some tiki needs.

I'm just waiting for the next Gecko mug...

TG

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation