FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Vinyl Records Decoration?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Vinyl Records Decoration?
RentAHero

Posted: 2004-07-10 3:45 pm   Permalink

I've often seen in magazines and such, people taking there old Vinyl Records (the cases) and using them as mini posters on there wall. The look (in my opinion) is great with all the old style 50's-60's grafix. I was wondering if anyone here in Tiki Central has done this and how they went about doing it, I mean I'm sure there has to be a better way then to just nail the cases to the wall, or if there is a link anyone knows off hand. Thanks in advance everyone!

View Profile of RentAHero Send a personal message to RentAHero  Goto the website of RentAHero     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 3:51 pm   Permalink

There are several people here who can give you better ideas than this, but if you're not handy (or just lazy), Restoration Hardware has these:
http://www.restorationhardware.com/page.jhtml?type=product&categoryId=cat290015&id=94

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 4:09 pm   Permalink

Yeah those are nice..I have a few. I(yuc)KEA has some big square frames that the sleeves look nice in too, and some smaller ones that fit 45's. I think even some record stores sell frames as well.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-10 5:13 pm   Permalink

Great topic RentaHero, I've always liked that look as well. I've picked up a couple of Tiki/Hawaiian/Exotica albums over the years and am also looking for a way to display them. I've bought one of those record frames and they look great, but for $12.00 a frame it will be a bit pricey to frame all. I've been thinking about making my own out of shoe moulding and plexiglass. Any links or advice.....

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 8:35 pm   Permalink

I decorated the walls of my first house entirely with album covers. I was exceedingly poor at the time and just put them up with thumb tacks.

I didn't have the nerve to do it again on the freshly painted walls of my second house, so whenever I see album frames on sale, I pick up as many as I can afford.

(I suck at posting pictures.)

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Kate on 2004-07-10 20:41 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 8:51 pm   Permalink

Your better than me at posting pics!

Have you ever made your own record frames?

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 9:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-10 20:51, FreakBear wrote:
Your better than me at posting pics!

Have you ever made your own record frames?

You should have seen my post before I edited it. Tiny pictures. They still didn't turn out as big as I wanted them to be. Oh well.

No. I've never tried making record frames. I've sure thought about it often enough though. I'd like to make some out of bamboo. I just bought a bunch of albums with luau scenes on the covers, and I thought I'd put them on the dining room wall.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-10 9:07 pm   Permalink

I've actually thought of laser-copying my album jackets and framing the copies. But the albums are too big for scanner or copier. Has anyone had luck with this?

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 12:41 pm   Permalink

ABC Distributors has some frames for sale pretty cheap. My wife's compnay orders from them all the time, so we ordered 10 pairs. Hey I have alot of records and $5.95 is a great deal for a pair! You get a choice of silver, black or dark walnut for the frame color.

heres the url:
http://www.abcdistributing.com/store/074OF1/324b.cfm?q=album%20frames&prevIndex=0&nextIndex=2&t=2&cart=

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
www.unklejohn.com

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John on 2004-07-11 12:44 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 6:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the link Unkle John! That's a great deal.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 7:06 pm   Permalink

No problem guys, what's a good unkle for if he can't find good stuff for you all (and teach you how to drink and smoke... but that's besides the point)

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 10:50 pm   Permalink

I did a row of records all along the upper edge of the walls in Aku Hall.

I just used a 1/4" square dowel and some basic moulding to make a little shelf. If you get some moulding about 1" high, and nail it to the dowel (so that it forms an L-shape when seen from the side), just nail that to the wall.

Then, to keep the records from falling forwards, I put thumb tacks into the wall about 3" from the top of the wall, near the ceiling, spaced every fourth record or so. I stretched fishing line between the tacks to keep the records in place. It's elegant and invisible. Holds 'm roght against the wall without the need to create another dowel-n-moulding shelf along the tops of the records.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 03:10 am   Permalink

i have alot of vinyl and bought a bunch of those restoration hardware frames. i love them - i switch the albums out seasonally and for special occasions. right now - i have the ladies of love going...

all the covers feature lovely ladies lounging in their best dress up clothes or less... my favorite is "Warm and Tender" with a scantilly clad girl stroking her 'kitty cat' in her lap while reclining on a furry pink rug.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-12 10:35 am   Permalink

$5.95 A pair!!!!!!!! Thanks for the link Uncle John, your rock!!! You're a little late to be my smoking and drinking mentor though, I owe that to George Thorogood's Greatest Hits.

Tikibars, I love the way you displayed your album collection. I knew molding would work but i didn't know exactly how. Just like those damn algebra questions. You know the result, you just don't know how to get there. Thanks for the pics.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 2:51 pm   Permalink

I made 3 for my wife awhile back. I built them so they could hold 6 or 7 record s with an opening at the top to slide them out. Htey stuck out of the wall about 1 inch. They are great for displaying covers when we get new ones.
i dont have any pictures of them yet, I had to take them down when I moved in. We had to make room for other stuff. i expect to be putting them back up soon.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation