[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Von Franco/Crazy Al Chalice
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Von Franco/Crazy Al Chalice
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 7:42 pm   Permalink

The corpse is not even cold and they are already on ebay, this is so sickening for me who was too far away to attend, this is pathetic, this is...man I can not even begin to say how this ticks me off, nuff said.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3920989290&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2001&item=3920971412&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-11 19:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-toa on 2004-07-12 13:46 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-11 11:44 pm   Permalink

Maybe I am missing your sarcasm, but why do you have a problem with these on EBAY? Is not TiKi about pleasure, Pleasure of the drink, (Floratina said it well when at Bongo Fury’s Rincon Room opening, upon her first sip of a Reverb Kick, She made a chattering sound, smacked her lips and said, “Ahaaa alcohol!”) Pleasure of the music, of the mug, of the bamboo, the waves of Baxter on the record player…and the greatest pleasure of all, scoring a few hundred bucks on a sale of something you got and I want?

[ This Message was edited by: bananabobs on 2004-07-11 23:47 ]

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 12:00 am   Permalink

Why the sarcasm, well one I am just jealous of those that were able to attend when I was not. But what ticks me off is those that go only to get something that they know if they get one they will do their best to make as many bucks from it while they can, and I have nothing against that, BUT when a guy says "I really hate to sell this and I’d love to keep it, but I can’t afford to....is not only a very cool item, but also a proven INVESTMENT." then how did you spend the money in the first place. But it is the idea that these people, and there is now a third person who has posted another chalice on ebay, by buying the chalice kept someone else who was there for the event that if they had the opportunity to obtain one would have kept it and appreciated it for more than 24 hours. To me the people that bought these and posted them on ebay have shown NO APPRECIATION to Crazy Al, Von Franco, and Bamboo Ben for the hard work that they put in to design, and make not only the Chalice but this event be the event that it was! So does that better explain my hard feelings about seeing these items on ebay?

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-12 00:22 ]

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 12:16 am   Permalink

Last night at the show, I heard several collectors say the following right after buying items.......
"I'm a collector, this is going in my house, not on Ebay".

I think its great that so many true collectors of Tiki were there last night and felt so seriously about their collection and intentions.

In every hobby you have collectors and businessman. Obviously the people who bought those chalices for ebay are about business and money. But for every few of those, theres a dozen that are into it for the pleasure of collecting. Besides, for those people out of state, ebay may be the only chance they have to get one.

You had to figure these would end up on Ebay. Its a one time collaboration of 4 great Tiki artists. Hey I'm not surprised they didn't sell them on ebay before the show, like the did with the shag mugs.

Hey, don't feel too bad about not getting one. I promoted the show, and didn't get one last night either.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 12:36 am   Permalink

Being a good Capitalist, I realize that my fortune is made on the broken backs of my business rivals. It is a dog eat dog world and I do not begrudge anyone a profit. However I have met many of these hard working artisans and craftsmen and I know it can be difficult professions to be in. For instance, if a mug is produced you have a designer, a factory, import-export headaches, language barriers, Shipping problems, and a thousand things I can't imagine. When these mugs are sold the money is hard won. When someone turns that mug around for a quick, easy $100.00 profit it isn't exactly fair. The worst example of this profiteering I've seen was at disneyland. About a thousand people were waiting in line for 500 prints that were being reserved with a wristband they distibuted to the people in the front of the line till they were out. The wristband got you two prints at $350.00 each. A guy at the front of the line buys two prints, walks to the back of the line and sells one for $700.00. That is more than Shag was making on these. It's not really fair this guy gets two when people in line, who were waiting for hours, get none. I see the frustration of people who would prefer the artist makes the dough instead of profiteers.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 07:51 am   Permalink

My #45 is screwed to the wall, and proudly displayed above the left side of our bar.
Signed by the 3 Artist, even Ben (made him sign the roof)
I think someday I will just put my whole room on E-Bay, buy it all for one low price, and don't mind the dead Baxdog in the corner he stopped biting years ago!!
Great show, fun products
Do it again do it again
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 09:09 am   Permalink

In your post on TC, you forgot to mention the hard work from Tiki Farm, Erich Troudt and J.R. Mc Nasty.

I apologize to the above for not metioning their hard work also in this event, to Holden, Erich, and J.R. HUGE PROPS for the work you did in making this event happen I am sure without you guys it would not have happened and been the outstanding rockin' event that it was. You all need to be recognized just as equally.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-12 09:24 ]

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 1:49 pm   Permalink

The event was a busy one and there were lots of people there but the $100 mugs were not hard to come by.

I did not have to wait in line to get one. In fact we all had dinner and drank and 2 hours after the selling had begun, there were still several remaining. Anyone who attended and REALLY wanted one (ie-showed up on time) got one.

Its not like the Disney event where people actually showed up with the express intent of buying mugs/prints etc. and could not get any.

The price point might have been a little higher than the casual mug collector is willing to spend ($100). As I understand it, the $10 mugs were gone long before the chalice. Paying 3 artists and a manufacturer for 50 items must carry a higher price for anyone to break even.

By the way, the chalice is really cool. Al's resin work on the pedestal is top notch. Looks like real wood.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 1:54 pm   Permalink

Maybe I should have sent someone the hundred for them to get me one? And the price point was decent at least in my mind for the fact of the work that went into the Chalice by all of the artists (VF, Al, BamBen) and the Farm in making it.

Toa

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 4:07 pm   Permalink

I agree with Monkeyman - the chalices were not sold out in minutes. They were available for hours. Whoever was there and wanted them could have gotten them.
I, because of a misunderstanding with my wife and another TC member, ended up with 2 chalices. I decided I'm keeping one, and will sell the other one at a later date, as I feel it's not the nicest thing to put it on e-bay so quick.

Great design and workmanship, btw!

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-12 16:07, kick_the_reverb wrote:
I agree with Monkeyman - the chalices were not sold out in minutes. They were available for hours. Whoever was there and wanted them could have gotten them.
I, because of a misunderstanding with my wife and another TC member, ended up with 2 chalices. I decided I'm keeping one, and will sell the other one at a later date, as I feel it's not the nicest thing to put it on e-bay so quick.

Great design and workmanship, btw!

Ran

So any chance of you being nice and that you would sell it to me for the cost? Or even better why not offer it to one of the artists or promoters who did not even get one, now that would be cool instead of being nice and waiting to put it on ebay.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki-Toa on 2004-07-12 16:36 ]

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 4:43 pm   Permalink

It is true. The Chalices were available from about 7:30 to 9:30. At 9:00 pm there was about 4 left. I think the "floor model" sold right before 10:00pm.

I still have a few limited edition prints available, and are taking t-shirt orders until friday if anyone is interested.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 6:21 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:48 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 8:09 pm   Permalink

I feel your pain TT. The Tiki mug is perhaps to sacred to resell. But then is reselling a mug different than reselling cars, stocks, grocerys, services ect...? Do you resell anything in your line of work? Ebay has a bad rap many times. Off the top of my head I know 5 people who make a living or more likely a partial living on ebay, 4 of those are single Moms getting by. I don't advocate making a living sponging off us nutcase collectors but then again the person having this action may have a very good reason for this auction. Many of us (me and you included) who could not make it to this party, we now have a chance to get it. It's way out of my price range for that mug but that is irrelavent.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-12 8:37 pm   Permalink

Actually the funny thing is that other then the Marines I have spent the majority of my working life in some king of service enviroment, including selling new/used vehicles which I did not do so well at because I was to honest, McDougal you made a necklace for me of something that I wanted, just like Benzart is doing and also Flounder. What I paid is small compaired to the joy I got from getting your necklace that you made for me, or the joy I know I will feel when I get the pieces from Flounder and Ben. To me the Chalice is kind of truly the Holy Grail now in a way, because of how scarce it is, but it really sucks to hear some guy say how he cannot afford it and then call it a great investment in the next breath, yeah it is, for him if somebody is willing to pay the $350 he is asking, I truly hope that some of these people that bought them with the idea of making out on the ones that could not be there, do not sell them, but I know that there will be some that bought it and will have to sell it just to help pay the bills, hey I was one of the people that bought a second Gecko(somewhat not intentionally)to help someone buy an engagement ring. But like many mugs that I covet I figure someday somehow it will be the right place and time for me to have it, good thing I am patient.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation